“Locals were very friendly”

The Golden Lion Tap
Ranked #2 of 4 Nightlife in Barnstaple
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: HISTORY The Golden Lion Tap is a real old English pub dating from the early 1700s. Whilst many of the original features have been preserved, the building has been sympathetically restored to maintain its heritage, character, history and atmosphere. The entrance to the Bar is light and airy with comfortable seating for dining, drinking or, just watching the world go by. The central bar is a beautiful space which was once a courtyard area and retains many original features whilst the main bar is more modern and contains a wide screen t.v on which various sporting events are shown on a regular basis. This leads on to the pool table where there are comfortable leather sofas for relaxing and watching the pool players display their skills. Tracie, Ray, Trev Sean and Sarah, together with their staff are dedicated to providing a warm welcome and a relaxing atmosphere whilst maintaining a professional level of service and hospitality. GOLDEN LION TAP The Golden lion Tap has 7 en suite letting rooms available for overnight stays, weekends or a short break in North Devon. An ideal location for visiting the area with both the Bus depot and the Train station within a short walking distance and a thriving taxi rank located 20 yards from the main entrance. A separate Clubroom provides a lively venue for the weekends featuring Live bands of all genres from the westcountry and beyond. A fully stocked bar, stage, dance floor and seating areas helps to provide a perfect environment for all ages to enjoy a night out of music appreciation. There are open stage and open mic nights allowing all levels of musicians and singers to show their talent to the world. There is a strict age policy upheld within the clubroom. LIVE MUSIC EVERY SATURDAY KARAOKEE SUNDAY THURSDAY, FRIDAY
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

Visited the Golden Lion with my wife whilst staying in Barnstaple.

They had two guest ales on tap. One called the Pig suited our pallet and we had a couple of pints.

Struck up conversation with two groups of locals, who were very interesting.

Beer good price at £3.20 a pint

Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

Watched the Footie , all seemed good fun . Really nice staff as I'm out of Essex and most people won't even talk to me when they hear my accent

1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 26 May 2016 via mobile

Just awful, avoid
It looks like a nice local town pub from the outside and as I was visiting Barnstaple on business I thought would pop in for a quick pint

Waited and waited but ignored by the barman (and only 5 locals in!)

Eventually walked out, they really have no idea what service means

1  Thank 11SemperViator
Tracie B, Owner at The Golden Lion Tap, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2016

I can only apologise for the poor service you received. Our staff are usually more responsive to waiting customers and I am very disappointed to hear that you were ignored. Rest assured that action will be taken. I can only hope that, should you return, you will see a distinct improvement.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

The pub is dark and dingy with out dated furniture which is uncomfortable and looks as if it is about to break at any minute. Some of the staff seem nice but the manageress was inexcusably rude and will lose customers and run the place into the ground. It started off nice when it reopened but since then it has become less so. Food was poor too.

1  Thank Anon Y
Tracie B, Owner at The Golden Lion Tap, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2016

Hello ANON.
Thank you for your anonymous review.
My deepest apologies if you feel that i was in any way rude to you. As I'm sure you understand, we all have occasional off days. I am not sure about your comment regarding our furniture as it is very solid and well upholstered as can be sen in the pictures. In our opinion placing light weight modern furniture into a historic listed building would be detrimental to the existing ambiance.
I am assuming you came in the evening where (although perfectly adequate) the house lights would have been on. these are lowered when we provide entertainment which does indeed create a darker (although far from dingy) atmosphere. During the day, however, I am confused as to how you can call it dark and dingy as, in the center of the pub we have an Atrium with a clear roof allowing in full daylight. Perhaps you have us confused with another premises or you have some personal issues which need resolving. Hopefully, should you come in again, you can speak to me directly in order for me to apologies to you in person.
We do aim to resolve any problems our customers have as quickly as possible.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 November 2015

Went in here as passing by needed the toilet was barred for "not asking behind bar to use the toilet" I have ate here before and drank here in the past but when you need to go and they use this excuse?!?!

This place is gonna loose ALOT of custom.

2  Thank Gimmick4Life
Tracie B, Owner at The Golden Lion Tap, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2016

We often have people walk in and use our toilets as we are located on the square. Although it is common courtesy to ask (we are after all a public house and not a public convenience) no-one has been barred merely for using the toilets. If you feel that you have been treated unfairly then you are welcome to come and see me personally to address the matter.