All reviews complimentary drink at the bar stayed here manager mike port of call friendly locals bar area breakfast was amazing every week min walk on arrival home from home every member of staff comfortable bed lake district rooms are clean saturday night contractors
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here again for work and will be again any time I'm in the area, never stayed anywhere and felt more welcome.
Stayed in a rom that had just been done up and it looked great nice and cosy really want to know where they get the beds from so comfy best sleep in ages lol.
all the staff are great even ha a good chat with the manager Mike he recommended some places for us to go when we had a down day cheers for recommending the motor museum me and the boys loved it.
Great no frills hotel cracking staff friendly locals and superb breakfast and great food

Room tip: want a quieter room ask for top floor
Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

My wife and I did a mini pub crawl around Barrow island and our first port of call was the Royal Hotel. Not a very welcoming place but the cloudy apple cider was excellent as was the wife's Archers and lemonade.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2018

We paid £56 and felt that was too much for what we got. When we arrived the reception area looked run down and more like a hostel with a pile of towels there, we assumed we were going to be charged to hire them ! The bedroom was clean and appeared to have a new carpet although there was a bunch of cables next to the bed instead of a bedside table.The bed did n't have a mattress protector so the mattress buttons dug into me during the night in what was otherwise a comfy bed. The shower didn't work and when we asked for help we were told the man who knew how to operate would be back in the morning. So we went to bed unable to shower and then the telly stopped working ! On a positive we had a free drink on arrival in the bar and the saving grace of this place was the very good breakfast and friendly staff that served it in a room with wallpaper peeling off and stained carpet. There's free wifi and parking is free about 300 yards from the hotel. Having no shower, no telly and mattress protector made £56 a bit of sore point. Such a shame as the staff were nice and it was an interesting old building could be so much better.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Was a little concerned at first but fears were extinguished after I saw room. Newly decorated clean with comfortable bed. Small bar down stairs mainly used by locals but friendly enough. But and here it is the quality of breakfast and evening meals was outstanding. You must try the carbonara the best I have had in a long time. Staff friendly it’s not the ritz but I actually enjoyed my stay so much so rebooking for next week as job here requires more time. Hope this has been helpful.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
HotelManager1214, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2018

Thank you Steve for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the fact you are rebooking is great. We will have to sort out a lamb Wellington next time you are here. Kind regards Scott

Reviewed 12 June 2018

I have just ended a run of 3 nights a week for 14 months, and would like to say a big thank you to the Royal and its staff. I stayed in 4 different rooms but mainly room 203, they are all clean with comfortable beds, fluffy towels, toiletries and hot drink facilities. These rooms are cleaned every day by Dawn and her helpers and are spotless and if you went extra of anything you only have to ask.
Breakfast is colossal if that's what you want, I had cereal and then kippers, delicious. Scott and his staff make sure the food is prepared and served to the highest standard and the quality is unbeatable.
The bar is well run by Christine, Gemma and other staff who serve quickly and pleasantly and also are good craic, the locals are friendly and funny some good friendships where made here. The bar/dining area is kept meticulously clean by Julie who also helps with the serving she's a diamond.
Then there is Paul, his job covers everything and there is nothing he cannot solve.
Last but by no means least is Mike Morgan the manager who pulls this all together and makes this a cracking, clean, friendly and convenient place to stay, wether it's long or short term.

Room tip: Ask for Daves old room!
Date of stay: May 2018