See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I came here with my family, for the third time and it was just as lovely every time. The rooms are sweet and have little ornaments and Beatrix potter toys in them, and the location is near enough to the centre, but not in the heart of it all, so it is quiet and near beautiful walks

Date of stay: June 2013
1  Thank lu1820
Reviewed 5 December 2013

it was our first experience at a B&B, & it ws well worth it. we were a it sceptic of the concept, but having driven around Scotland & landing at windemere, we had got a fair idea of what to expect.

Above the bay, actually surpassed all our expectation. it is quite a cozy little place, actually, just a couple of minutes walk from the bowness. with 4 large guest rooms, with two (including ours) run by trevor & his wife. the advantage of the B&B was that it has the personal touch & trevor made all efforts to make our stay comfortable. he guided us well about the town & things we could do with our 2 kids. even though we had researched & planned well, yet his inputs helped.
wish we could stay for a couple of days longer, but had to leave for Manchester since there was no tour show on friday hence we had to be back on Thursday, cutting short our trip by a day.

oh yes, must thank trevor for the lovely breakfast, which also took a bit of an extra effort since we were vegetarians
my next visit is surely booked at "above the bay". & surely deserves 3-4 days, for the B&B as well as the place - windemere. there's so much to do

Room tip: for a B&B it is a great place, with superb location. actually can get to see the lakes & the boats from the room. lake district, the place itself is wonderfully brilliant. with loads of activities & places to see, walk. my tip would be to keep at least a day each for brockhole, ambleside, windemere itself. you must take the cycling trips
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Me and my husband have just returned after a one night stay at this B&B. Great location, very clean room and lovely breakfast. Owner very friendly and welcoming. Would recommend and we would definitely stay again.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed for one night. The owners were away, met by their friend who was friendly and helpful. The suite was comfortable but the decor was a little twee for me. My issue were with issues relating to stuff toys on the beds and carpet in the bathroom . Good powerful hot shower. The noise from the pipe work may disturb light sleepers.

Tea and coffee available in the room. I enjoyed my breakfast fruit, yoghurt, cereals, juice but ate alone as I had a early start. However my family ate at the only dinning table and shared with other guests. They enjoyed their cooked breakfast.

The B/B is a very short walk from the centre but many steps involved., Could be a problem if you have mobility problems. Separate access from the balcony which was helpful with bags and not disturbing other guest and a excellent view, lovely to sit out in the evening.
Having access to the local spa was a added bonus.
Ideal location for exploring Bowness.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Ushi100
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Great location close to the centre with all of it's pubs and restaurants, shortcut up an down the private steps shared with the B&B next door.

Clean room with old fashioned décor, including carpet in the bathroom, a stuffed toy on the bed and an interesting selection of pictures. But having said that we could not fault it for value for money and the fact that it is dog friendly. Would definitely stay again for the location alone now that we have got over the shock of having to share the breakfast table with six complete strangers!

Date of stay: September 2013