“Better......”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2018

After a mail shot from the pub chain advertising a new menu we decided to try the new curries on offer. Much better than our last visit and the jalcrazy was very nice.not hot but tasty. Lamb Rogan Josh too much sauce but tasty meat....so for the money, very good value. Wine Wednesday too....so £5 for a bottle of house wine. What's not to like!

1  Thank Michael T

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

The staff and decor were good but the meal was very average also lots of tables needed clearing, my husband is in a wheelchair and we pressed the bell but my grandarughter had to go in to get the side door open good job it wasn’t raining and there was a table very close to the disabled entrance not good

2  Thank sheila H
Reviewed 15 April 2018

We seated ourselves near the bar and asked for some menus off of a nearby table who still had theirs, as our table had none.

The drinks orders were handled in a decent way, the man behind the bar was friendly. The Coke was generic pub cola, not a positive or negative point but one to note down, as it has a very distinctive taste different from Coca Cola or Pepsi and is characteristic of cheap pub grub.

The menu was full of very interesting choices. Things like Pizza-topped fries really caught my eye and the menu made food look very appetizing.

We had nachos to share to begin with, the nachos were of the plain salted kind, and had layers of Sour Cream, Guacamole and Salsa drenching the top, arranged like a Mexican flag (coincidence or not, I am unsure). The huge amount of condiments made the nachos very soggy, and the jalapenos had next to no spiciness. There was no cheese on the nachos as advertised, instead this odd cheese sauce, which tasted very poor and added to the sogginess of the nachos.

For a main course, the two of us attempted to order a burger each, before being told that no burgers were available. I conferred with my companion and tried to order Chicken & Waffles for myself, and Sausage & Mash for her, before being told that Chicken & Waffles had also run out. I settled on "The Porky Platter" which sounded interesting. It's important to note that the pub was mostly empty, and this was during the usual "dinner rush", so it was very odd that they were missing so much of their menu.

The Sausage & Mash was described as "okay", but The Porky Platter was absolutely horrendous. The chips were covered in what I think they call their "boozy cheese sauce" which just makes chips wet. The ribs tasted as if their sauce was made primarily of Heinz Ketchup, which is awful. The Gammon steak was dry and over-salty, the sausage was blatantly incredibly cheap and tasted bland. I also ordered pizza-topped fries. The same issue was had with them as with the other chips, apart from in this case they used actual cheese on the chips, rather than their odd sauce. The tomato sauce they used for the pizza topping turned the chips into a soggy mush, and tasted so watery that I had flashbacks to terrible school dinners.

The only positive point of the whole visit was that the price was relatively low, so for 3 dishes and 4 drinks, I only spent £25, which isn't a lot considering a great many restaurants pricing points.

We had no cutlery on our table, and the waitress we asked to bring some never did, so I asked the barman who quickly complied.

This might be surprising but I'm not coming back, and for anyone who reads this, avoid this place like the plague - you'd have a nicer meal by begging outside the door at McDonald's, with a smaller dent in your pride.

3  Thank Wj S
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Poor service. 3 preferred items were unavailable and the woman at the bar went off for 10 minutes. The menus had unclear offers.

Review collected in partnership with Greene King
2  Thank wsservices71
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Excellent food. Great menu choice. Lovely clean restaraunt/pub. Staff are very friendly and serve with a smile. Would definitely recommend. Great value for money meals.