All reviews hotel dog chesil beach listening service resident dog climbing wall table tennis baby listening lounge areas are luxury family hotels skittle alley family friendly hotel indoor play area swimming pool tennis courts play barn games room soft play
Reviewed 24 September 2018

I wished that I read the reviews before booking a spa day at the Moonfleet. It’s definitely a child and dog friendly venue. Definitely not a place if you want to relax and unwind. Hotel was very dated and the pool was full of children and floats and balls when we arrived at 12pm. Main pool was quite small so didn’t really have enough space to have a leisurely swim. Did go quiet for 20 min when they vacated for lunch. The sauna was a tiny shed effect tucked up the corner next to the infant pool and would have only accommodated 3 people comfortably. No hot tub. The changing rooms were communal with children everywhere (like a public pool) and not very clean. The loos we’re left unflushed where children were unsupervised and lockers, which there wasn’t enough and some broken were taken up. Due to the location of the treatment rooms, which was the other side of the hotel, we had to get dressed to traipse over the carpark to get there, as I didn’t fancy going over in my robe and slippers. When arrived for our treatments, the sign said that there was treatments in progress and we should wait in the waiting area to avoid disturbances, it wasn’t clearly directed as to where the waiting area was so we waited in the wrong area for quite a while until I called for assistance. Then we we’re told that we needed to come through the door with the notice on. The therapist was apologetic and asked if we’d been brought up to be shown, which we hadn’t. After the disappointment of the leisure facilities, we had a very relaxing treatment and the afternoon tea was awesome, apart from kids and dogs around. So I would not recommend the venue for anyone who wants a totally relaxing experience.

Stayed: September 2018
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear pjlswok,

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that overall, you did not enjoy your day.

We are at great pains to say that we do not have a Spa. We are not a Spa Hotel. We DO have lovely treatment rooms and a pool, but that is limit to our facilities at this moment. This is pretty clear on our website and we try our hardest to ensure that any third party booking site communicates this.

I am delighted though, that you enjoyed your treatments and that your afternoon tea hit the spot!

I would be very happy to discuss your experience personally, so please do telephone me at the Hotel.

Reviewed 22 September 2018

Meade-Faulkner and McEwen drew great inspiration from Moonfleet. The Manor House's incarnation as a hotel allows others to enjoy this very special location on the Jurassic Coast. The coastline and it's wildlife are precious features. The hotel manages to accommodate family relaxation requirements whilst respecting the heritage requirements. I salute the family owners who have achieved this.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Discerning-intrepid

Dear Discerning-intrepid,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We do try to ensure that Moonfleet is rooted in its history - there's millions of years of it here!!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

kind regards

Reviewed 22 September 2018

We booked a four night stay with our young cocker spaniel dog at the Moonfleet Manor and were slightly anxious as this was his first experience in a hotel. However the stay went very well indeed for both us and him. We had a great time - the food was very good, our room was spacious, clean and tidy and above all the Moonfleet Manor has a great team working there, with absolutely no exceptions. If you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary and not run of the mill then this is for you although if you are travelling as a couple then I would suggest you avoid weekends and school holidays as the hotel does specialise in family breaks making it a must if you have children. We were so pleased we decided to stay an extra night!

Room Tip: If you have a dog then ask for a family double which is a larger room.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Phillip C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are delighted that you had such a great stay with us and that your Pooch had a lovely time too!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Moonfleet in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

The hotel is very tired throughout and needs considerable refurbishment Dinner choice is unexciting and we found the food poorly cooked. It is certainly not worth the money. Wine is expensive and unexceptional.It is a bit of a cheek to add 10% to the whole bill including pre-dinner drinks. I was amazed a hotel of this size did not have a staffed bar and did not offer a single beer on draft. Waiting staff were pleasant and efficient. Jason being a particular asset.
Breakfast was fine and I do like hotels that bring toast as well as a hot beverage to table
Our room was adequate but the plumbing left a lot to be desired. The toilet only flushed about every fifth attempt but what a feeling of triumph when it did!
I would characterise this hotel as a good place to take undiscerning young kids who don't mind messing about with broken equipment. It's akin to taking them to old family relatives who live in the country but have seen better days and are too old to make it worth spending on new stuff.
I am not overly fussy and enjoyed the swimming pool where the showering and changing facilities were quite good - better than in our room!
Overall we did not not enjoy our stay but it will be a one off. Don't expect luxury as you will be sorely disappointed.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Graham95

Dear Graham95,

Thank you very much for your feedback from your recent stay with us. Naturally, I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are always looking to learn and improve and we take our guest feedback very seriously. We will work on on the Maintenence issues that you have highlighted and take your other comments into consideration through our operational reveiw system.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel with my husband and 2 children (5 and 3).
I am a fan of vintage (particularly regency / Georgian) and oldy worldy style, and so for me this hotel was fascinating.

It is Georgian, however appears to have had a mixed history and over the many years it has been added to a great deal. The general feel I think is of late 1800 English / colonial. There are a few animal heads on the walls. Something that I struggle to deal with and were it not for the fact that they are clearly of a past time and in keeping with how this manor house must have been (pre-hotel), I think I might have been a bit upset. Happily the world has moved on and the needless killing of polar bears and tigers doesn't happen so much now.
We stayed in the Mahune room. A very large room with exceptional views of the water and the hills and horses. It was quiet and had a massive bathroom. My only negative of the room was the beautiful bath - which had a hand held shower, in keeping with the room this is exactly what you might expect, however for me I found it tricky to bath / shower and wash my hair without dousing the walls with water.
The furniture is of I'd say a faded glory, which I liked actually as I feel uncomfortable in shiny sparse clinical style places. But the sofas could do with a bit more padding.

The staff on reception were very friendly, the dog there - Snoopy - was lovely and very patient with small children.

The restaurant served very nice food and I have no complaints over the breakfast (there was a very good choice) or dinner that I had there.

It is a rather bizarre place, the kind of place I'd expect an author to like. Much of the hotel appears quite normal, however there are the odd places that you can imagine have not been used for decades, there is a pool room that this would relate to - you can walk in and just imagine men in suits smoking and playing pool... if you like a bit of adventure and have a good imagination I think this place would please you.

It is in a good location - Monkey World and Weymouth town centre are not far in the car.

They have nets and wellies that you can borrow and the shore is only a short walk.

The childrens soft play area is amazing. It's huge. It has trampolines, giant cushions, goals, a piano, toy peddle cars footballs, a table tennis table - and more.
They also do a fairy trail which my children were very excited by and I thought was a lovely touch by the hotel. The children upon finding all the fairies get a certificate - signed by Snoopy the Dog!
The swimming pool I didn't get to go to.
The spa I did, and I had a lovely manicure by Emma who was quite charming.

I would love to go back, however I think due to the price I might need to save for quite a while. I give this hotel a 8/10 (losing points over the high cost) , my children would give it a 10/10. If I had a dog - he would give it 11/10!

Room Tip: The Mahune suite was very large with beautiful views
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Gemini77

Dear Gemini77,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am so pleased that you had a successful family break and clearly the scores on the doors are a measure of your enjoyment quota!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Moonfleet very soon.