“Hidden Gem”

Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Consistently delicious. Cosy & friendly independent cafe & bar, locally renowned for great tasting home-made food at reasonable prices. Open for breakfast, lunch, coffee & home-baked cakes, afternoon teas, evenings, private parties. A good range of traditional and contemporary dishes and a variety of tempting vegetarian options; sandwiches, jackets, soups, mezze & pizza and tapas. Fully licenced - great cocktails and sensibly selected wine list. Very child-friendly. Free wifi.
Reviewed 7 October 2018

Was catching up with a friend expecting a full English breakfast and the suggestion of the Velvet and Vanilla was made.
Don’t do a full English but had the most amazing Maple Syrup Pancakes and Bacon, truly gorgeous indeed.
Great friendly service, great atmosphere and would definitely recommend to others.
Will be going back

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank 010369

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

We visited this lovely cafe on a wet morning and couldn’t have had a warmer welcome. Timed it just right for the homemade scones coming right out of the oven, absolutely delicious! X

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank protheromilfred
Reviewed 5 October 2018

Come here every few weeks for my usual cream tea and every time it never fails to deliver. Freshly made scones with plenty of jam and cream and a generous amount of tea.

On this occasion I also tried a sandwich. As it was quite late in the day I did wonder how fresh it would be, but I could see the staff preparing it from the table. Very quick, very tasty and very well priced!

Keep up the good work and I will keep coming back!

Reviewed 5 October 2018

Called in here one afternoon after a cycle ride on the Tarka Trail for a cream tea as a reward for a job well done. We'd researched possible watering holes on Trip Advisor ahead of our visit to the area & had short listed this as a possibility due to it's reviews.
We visited on a glorious sunny weekday mid afternoon in late September but we were the only customers at that time, apart from one lady who came in for a take out coffee. We thought it a tad odd given the number of tourists & coach tours around & it's high listing on Trip Advisor. The interior reminded us of a cafe we'd found in Prague a few years ago with lots of cushions & character - I guess quaint would be the right description - so we made ourselves comfortable with a nice pot of tea on mixed china.
When the cream tea came it consisted of one warm scone that looked more like a rock cake & turned out to be just as crumbly - first problem. Second problem was that the jam was extremely runny which, when combined with cream of a similar consistency, made for a very sloppy & messy tea that kept dripping off the edges. I must admit I expected thick clotted cream - the sort that usually won't come off the spoon without a bit of force - but ate the ensuing mess as I was really hungry even though it was frustrating trying not to get covered in the stuff while eating it.
Whether we caught the place on a bad day or whether supplies had run short so had been 'thinned' on purpose to see the day out, or just kept somewhere warm I really don't know, but I really don't understand why the reviews were so glowing when there are many better competitors. At best it was OK but I found it messy & disappointing so wouldn't recommend it, nor would we return.
We found 3 restaurants, a Fish & Chip shop & a breakfast cafe though Trip Advisor that were all top rate & the reviews were spot on & we would return to all of them - this was the only one that didn't live up to expectations.
A couple of days later we tried again at the Puffing Billy in Great Torrington while continuing our cycle ride (we hadn't checked ahead so had no idea about reviews but were gasping for a cuppa) - it could easily have been a mediocre tourist trap in that location but the cream tea consisted of a proper big scone that held together, nice thick cream & jam. It was a tad dearer than V&V but was well worth it - & no mess!

Reviewed 1 October 2018

Went for late lunch. Nice menu, food freshly prepared and generous helping. Made to feel welcome. Vegetarian food better than average.