All reviews overlooking the river floor to ceiling windows junior suite afternoon tea modern hotel wick ferry hydrotherapy pool wine list lamb town centre every member of staff fantastic hotel special occasion scones birthday treat high standard lounge area
Reviewed 20 May 2018

Here for a birthday dinner with family. Great location just a few minutes from the beach and river fronted. Lovely atmosphere - it was a busy Friday night but the bar and restaurant are bright and airy so it didn't feel crowded. We ate in the restaurant, good sized table with plenty of room around it. The service was excellent and the waiting staff were very knowledgeable about the detail of the dishes and the wine list. The food was very good - the cheese souffle starter was amazing, the lamb very tender. On our table we had seared tuna, sea bass, fillet steak, scallops, and gurnard. All delicious. Desserts were also very good. 5 of us, mostly 2 courses but 2 of us had 3, drinks including wine - the bill about £300 which for such good food and great venue was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
TimothyLloyd, Managing Director at Captain's Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful review Mary and we were sopleased to read that you had such a wonderful time celebrating a family birthday with us. Our Chef was especially delighted that you enjoyed the food that he and his team work tirelessly to create. We really hope to see you again soon for that next special occasion or maybe for informally for afternoon tea in the lounge or a light lunch on the terrace in the sunshine? Enjoy the summer until then...

Reviewed 16 May 2018 via mobile

Saturday lunch, surprisingly quiet.

Good service, really friendly and attentive staff, excellent starters of soup and cheese soufflé, mains of fresh crab and sea bass were superb, house white a Sauvignon from Marlborough was a bit fruity and lacked minerals, but all in all a properly good meal and great service

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
TimothyLloyd, Managing Director at Captain's Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2018

Dear Rob. Thank you for your review of a Saturday visit for lunch. So pleased to read that you enjoyed superb food and good service. I will pass on your feedback about the wine to Paulo. He always appreciates knowing what people think about wines on his list! With the sunshine we were exceptionally busy on the terrace so people who would normally be inside were outside which may have given you the impression that we were quiet. Nevertheless it worked for you and we very much look forward to the next time you visit. With our very best wishes.

Reviewed 11 May 2018

It so very rare that I enjoy staying in UK hotels but the Captain's Club ranks as an exception.

My wife and I were there for just one night to attend a wedding ceremony/reception.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, everything was frankly perfect. Yes, as members of the wedding party, we had a significant room rate discount, Yes, we were also upgraded to one of the 2 bedroom suite 'apartments'. But it was so much more than that.

Having found that I had left my bow tie at home, I made a quick call to reception and 5 minutes later a bow tie appeared at our room door. My 1920's themed outfit was saved!

The service from the staff was quietly, and not overwhelmingly, attentive at all times.

The room appeared spotlessly clean and - unusually from our UK experiences - everything worked. A small constructive criticism - perhaps the hotel could find another place for the safe rather than high up in the wardrobe so that those of us under 1m80 don't need a chair to make sure that it is empty when checking out!

From the pre-wedding drinks in the bar to the marriage ceremony to the bubbly on the terrace to the dinner itself, everything went so smoothly thanks to the staff. And, I have to say, the dinner was excellent - perfectly prepared, cooked, and served.

Breakfast the following morning - a superb choice of buffet items plus the option (included in our room rate) of a myriad of cooked dishes. Superb.

Well done the Captain's Club Hotel! I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your glowing review Clive and how wonderful to rank as your favourite UK hotel. Here at the Captain's Club, we pride ourselves on giving all our guests a unique and truly enjoyable experience and myself and all the crew were delighted to read that this was true of your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon and with this wonderful weather we are enjoying, perhaps you might choose to stay in the UK this year...?

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Recently booked a much anticipated return visit to a 2 bedroom luxury suite at The Captains Club with my partner and 86 year old Mother In Law ( Her Birthday treat..)
This will be our 7th or 8th visit in the last 5 years and my Mum in Laws 2nd. We took her for her Birthday on the same week 2 years ago and she has not stopped raving about how wonderful it was. We had a luxury suite with stunning river views- the ambience and setting and views are stunning and we always leave feeling sad to go but so relaxed. The restaurant is fantastic also- we have a table booked for our first evening there on Friday and I am looking forward to the seafood sharing platter already! Breakfast is also delicious ( great eggs benedict and waffles with berries..) The Spa is small but quiet and relaxing and I plan to treat myself and Mum in Law to a facial and nails! Can’t wait to arrive at our fav place on Friday. Can not recommend enough! You’ll love it!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
TimothyLloyd, Managing Director at Captain's Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Thank you so much for your glowing review and we are delighted that you love it so much here at the Captains's Club Hotel. We very much look forward to welcoming you and your mother-in-law back again very soon and trust that you enjoy this glorious sunshine int he meantime! With our best wishes...

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Visited the Captains Club with my family on the 8th April for my 80th birthday. Having been before expected a really nice lunch. I chose the roast dinner but could not eat the beef, it was all fatty, so left it all. Even although the waitress/waiter enquirer if everything was ok and I said about the beef(and they kuldip see it on my plate) they didn’t offer
anything else. When they asked if I wanted a doggy bag I said “my dog wouldn’t eat it.
Very disappointing.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your review Mary and please accept our sincere apologies that on this occasion, our normally delicious beef was not up to your expectations. We hope that overall you enjoyed your birthday celebrations and by way of an apology and belated birthday gift, do get in touch with our Guest Relations Manager, Juliet and she will send you a little something in the post. juliet@captainsclubhotel.com Thank you too for your review on our restaurant site and we are delighted that you love our glorious riverside location so much. We trust we'll see you again very soon...