“Wonderful”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Solid oak kitchen - oven / hobs / microwave / kettle / toaster / sink
electric replica log fire
tea / coffee
Cosy red room with luxury bedding , quilts and mattress
cosy light and airy blue room with nice views towards golf course and forest
Large brand new shower room
The forest of dean walks - all around ( 1 mile drive )
Famous forest stain glass window - 2 miles
bike rides - 1 mile drive or bike from cottage
go ape - 3 miles
symonds yat - 3 miles
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Mark S
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 30 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

Cosy, warm, home from home... Alex was a great host, there was even milk in the fridge so we didn't need to go immediately to the shop. Nice little touches, make all the difference. Really enjoyed our visit, Alex gave recommendations what to see locally... everything was easy! Loved it!

Travelling group: Young Children
Zoe W
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Short Break”
Reviewed 14 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

We are a family of 4 and booked this cottage for a couple of days to explore the Forest of Dean on our bikes. Alex was really accommodating with our 4 bikes and let us use his shed. The cottage is really cute and very comfortable.

Travelling group: Other
Michiel_S...
“Great find in a brilliant location”
Reviewed 2 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I stayed here with my father and brother for a little hiking holiday from Thursday to Sunday.

Upon first arriving, we thought we might have run into a parking problem, but this was more down to our being tired from the trip and the 5 hour walk we did than any actual problem. We parked within about 15 metres of the front gate and that was the furthest we parked over the entire duration of our stay.

Having called to let Alex know we were arriving, he met us and helped us bring in our gear through the lovely garden, with space to sit out and relax on warm days. He proceeded to give us a rundown of the cottage, showed us where to find everything, gave us an introduction to the surrounding area and amenities and left us to crash in the comfort of the living room.

On the note of the living room, this is joined with the kitchen, has two comfortable sofas that easily accommodated the three of us (my brother is 6'5", I am 6'1" and both of us are pretty well-built guys, but could easily relax on the same sofa). There is a TV with Freeview and a DVD player (which Alex had put great effort in to replace, as it stopped working not long before our arrival - Thanks Alex!). I had my laptop with me and the WiFi is good, so by hooking it up to the HDMI lead from the DVD player, we also had access to Netflix etc.

The kitchen has all the essentials meaning we could cook a variety of meals during our stay, which is a must when you come back tired from a long hike. A nice additional touch, illustrative of the kind of host that Alex is, was the tea, coffee, sugar, jug of milk and cereal awaiting us on our arrival.

Moving upstairs, the spacious bathroom is of the quality of some of the better hotels I've stayed in when travelling for work. The shower pressure massages you and washes any tiredness (and dirt) completely away. Alex had left towels in each of the rooms and those again are of noteworthy quality.

The bedrooms are probably the area I took least note of, so my memory of these is not so clear. However, I generally sleep a maximum of 6 hours a night (usually about 5 hours) and my father is similar, so the fact we slept for 8+ hours each night would have to indicate that these are of the same quality as the rest of the cottage. What I do remember is that I didn't have an issue with light streaming into the room as soon as the sun rose. My father had the double bed and Alex had kindly set up the other room as two single beds. Everything was very comfortable and there was lots of storage space.

The locale is excellent, the description says it all, so I won't go into detail, suffice it to say that there is something for everyone within a short distance. Shops are very close by and Coleford has some nice pubs. I can also highly recommend the bakery just round the corner. My father tells me he used to go there when he was a lad cycling round the forest.

I should think that anyone who stays here would return any time they wish to stay in the area.

Travelling group: Extended Family
JodiandTi...
“A very nice cottage”
Reviewed 29 December 2015 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

We enjoyed our stay very much. Alex was an extremely hour gracious host, providing milk, cerials and snacks- and even a fuly decorated Christmas tree! The cottage was comfortable, cosy, clean and warm, and well located for exploring the Forest of Dean. We were able to check out late on our final day and not charged for the couple of minor breakages. The setting is not pretty but the cottage is and it's very convenient for the local shops and pubs etc.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: cosy, comfortable and warm - and a very helpful to landlord is right next door.
Liked least: roadside parking at night was limited
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Chrysso S
“Perfect mini break”
Reviewed 29 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

Amazing cottage. Ideal location for exploring the Forest of Dean. We went to Go Ape which was masses of fun. Puzzlewood is the stuff of fantasy novel dreams - think Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. And Alex was the perfect host! Helpful, kind and friendly. His tips on the area were invaluable. Couldn't recommend more.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing