1,530 results
All reviews gin bar sea view antique lift traditional hotel parking space richardson group richardson hotels public rooms lovely hotel four poster bed short break public car park standard room dining room fowey estuary per night lovely break
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights for the sole purpose of 'doing nothing' following the hectic Christmas period.
Fowey out of season was perfect for this. Quaint and picturesque, with good walking-although a lot of the shops were closed- but fortunately not the bars and restaurants.
It's also not for anyone with mobility issues, as everything is at the top (or bottom) of a steep hill- particularly if you take the short ferry ride to Polruan.
As for the hotel, everything was as described.
from the courtesy call a couple of days before we travelled to the warm welcome we received at check in and attentive (but not overwhelming ) staff.
The hotel itself is a classic gem, well restored and maintained, the views are great and can't be faulted.
Although we didn't have dinner in the hotel, if the breakfast and cream tea are anything to go by, it will live up to it's reputation as being superb.
I would recommend this exceptionally lovely hotel with it's efficient friendly staff to anyone that's looking for a short, scenic, relaxing break.

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Lindsey C, Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

Dear Macintt,

Thank you for your review.

I was delighted to read your comments and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

We are very proud of where we live and the views are simply stunning. It is so nice to read that others see our view as we do.

I do hope we will get to welcome you back to The Fowey in the near future.
If myself or one of the team can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me on 01726 832551 option 0.

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

Very disappointed with the bedroom. In definite need of a refurb. The most disappointing aspect was the spa bath. After a cold day I was very much looking forward to having a good soak. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Instead, when switching on the jets I was greeted by body hair! Absolutely disgusting! My husband informed reception of the problem and obviously they were very apologetic. We were kindly given a glass of Prosecco as an apology which was a nice gesture, but I'd rather have been able to have a clean bath. I feel your chamber staff need to pay closer attention to detail. On a more positive note the food & wine on both nights was fantastic.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2017

We stayed for a Christmas break. The hotel is old, a little tired but in a great position looking over the sea. The bar is great. The restaurant serves good food. The bedrooms are comfortable BUT..... our room was close to a staff staircase with a banging door which could b felt through the headboard! This banged until 11:20pm and started again at 6am! It stopped for one night when I mentioned it to the reception staff. There was a lot of black mound on the net curtains and also on the bathroom tile grouting. My mum had a room with a cracked sink in the bathroom, so I cannot recommend the rooms.
The hotel failed to deliver everything promised in the package and overcharged which had to be remedied retrospectively. Room charges are not all substantiated by signed receipts and so an element of trust is needed.
The staff are all very pleasant but the quality of service is haphazard, and for the price it is not worth it.
Eat here by all means, or call in for a drink , but there are better places to stay.

Room tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank LordMayorCWorthy
Lindsey C, Manager at The Fowey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Dear LordMayorCWorthy,

Thank you for your review.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

We are of course disappointed that you did not enjoy your whole experience with us.

I can only apologise that you were disturbed by the team members arriving or leaving the building. This is not a comment we usually receive but I have spoken with the staff to ensure they understand the impact it can have on our guests.

There are on-going works at the hotel, the main focus being our room stock.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you felt the rooms were not up to standard for you both. Please be reassured that we are working hard to ensure all bedrooms are of the highest quality for our guests.

I am a little concerned regarding your comment that we failed to deliver everything on the package. Please could you email me directly - dgm.fowey@richardsonhotels.co.uk or call 01726 832551 as I would like to find out what you feel was missing? Everything we set out in the brochure took place.

It is company policy that all goods received are signed for. During busier periods this is not always possible ad for this I can only apologise.

Regarding the Christmas package and feedback received we will not be offering a food allowance for guests to spend this year and we will have a set menu. We chose the allowance as the comments received for dinner inclusive packages has been great throughout the year and guests have loved the flexibility. Perhaps its just not suited for Christmas and New Year packages.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2017

After previously staying here twice before a few years ago, it was great to see that the hotels still offers that personal touch. Great food staff and company made our third stay the best. A hidden gem in a beautiful location. New Year's Eve was fabulous in all ways thank you.

Room tip: Estuary view well worth the extra
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear garibaldi2007,

Thank you for your review.

It was so lovely to read your feedback and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share the with the team.

I do hope we get to welome you back to The Fowey in 2017?
I would be delighted to assist with your next reservation.
Please contact myself or one of the team on 01726 832551 option.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Deputy Generals Manager

Reviewed 5 January 2017

Just got back from a New Year's Break at the Fowey Hotel. If we could just review the hotel on the staff, location and food, it definitely would be 5 stars. We had booked a car parking space and managed to park with a little shuffling. Reception area and bar area were very nice and we loved the old antique lift!. We were disappointed with our room in this hotel (room 305) , it was very dated and in need of a refurb and sadly did not meet our expectations for the price paid. The carpets need replacing, the bathroom needs replacing and a plaster holding the TV remote control together really is not good enough. I also did not realise that the hotel was dog friendly and was awoken at 6am on one of the mornings by barking. However the staff/service/food were all excellent, the New Year Gala dinner was exceptional and the staff all worked very hard so thank you for that. Would love to come back maybe when you have refurbished your rooms.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Southcrest09

Dear Southcrest09.

Thank you for your review.

Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.
I am sorry you were disappointed with your room and completely take your comments on board.

Currently, we have 2 bedrooms off for refurbishment. We are working incredibly hard to ensure that all of our bedrooms are too the highest standards and I can only apologise that room 305 feel short.
I have raised your review with the team to sort issues that can definaltely be sorted now like the TV remote which is unaccpeyabel.

It is really lovely to read that you would like to return.
Please contact me directly and I will be sure to look after you upon a return visit.

My email is dgm.Fowey@richardsonhotels.co.uk or contact me on 01726 832551 option 0.

I do hope we get to welcome you back soon!