All reviews zip wire family hotel hot tub kids club the main hotel the baby listening service buckets and spades spa treatments cinema room outdoor jacuzzi afternoon tea luxury hotel interconnecting rooms grown ups family break school holidays three children
Reviewed 28 September 2017

I booked this family trip as a special surprise for my wife's 40th birthday celebrations and we had a wonderful time.

The hotel has endless amenities and facilities for kids of all ages as well as their parents meaning that everyone can have a great time.

Doggy children are also welcomed and fussed over by all the staff which meant even our furry baby could join us.

The service was relaxed yet attentive and professional and the staff were always willing to help with a smile and were also very knowledgeable about the local area, facilities and the food and drink on offer. It genuinely felt as if nothing was too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, Front Office Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear 'Duncan P'

Thank your for leaving us such a wonderful review. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your wife's surprise birthday stay here at Fowey Hall - especially our 'relaxed, yet attentive and professional staff'. I will make sure I pass all your lovely comments onto the team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon.

Libby & The Fowey Hall Team

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

I booked for an afternoon tea as a part of our wedding anniversary celebrations. The tea was excellent and the service was just as good. The weather was disappointing but that did not dampen the atmosphere. The girls serving the tea were friendly and very informative regarding the local amenities. Thank for lovely afternoon.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
FoweyHallHotel, Operations Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear 'Davidjennyb'

Thank your for your lovely review. I was so pleased to read how much you and your partner enjoyed your anniversary afternoon tea with us. Especially being looked after our friendly team. I will make sure I pass all your comments onto all of them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Fowey Hall soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

A stunning location and a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
The spa treatments were top class with a high end product line used, however the spa area really lacks imagination. A steam room, sauna and a larger hot tub would be a worthy investment.
One shower in the changing rooms and one toilet. Need more to accommodate the volume of usage.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Dear 'Dave K'

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your spa day with us. We are constantly reviewing where to invest next and spa is definitely on our list.

We hope to welcome you back to Fowey Hall soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

We spent four nights at Fowey Hall Hotel in Sept 2017 (Lady Hanson room). It is a beautiful setting, attractive building and is a decent Hotel in terms of rooms facilties - though much of the furnishings are quite well worn (which you'd expect with non stop children!). However, as a hotel that markets itself at the top end price-wise for families you expect something luxurious (they use the word Luxury multiple times on their homepage). Unfortunately Fowey Hall gets 5 stars for effort but 3 on delivery and left us a little disappointed. (Now perhaps we have been lucky enough to experience middle eastern and Asian hospitality and perhaps that is an unfair comparison, but why should it be unfair? Why can the British not achieve the same level of service?)

So in terms of our experience: The food is excellent, the support and facilities for young children were very good and the hotel staff were helpful and polite. The bears Den (creche/nursery) looked very good with switched on staff, though due to my son being a ***** **** on the day we never actually used it!

However some rather fundamental things disappointed us: the baby listening service which is a key attraction for parents works on an integrated baby monitor in each room linked to an alarm at reception. So far so good. However the alarm is triggered not by noise but by specific sound pattern of the sounds of a crying baby. This means that an adult can enter your room, remove a child and leave without the alarm going off (so long at the child doesn't cry). (I know because we did it) Now call me pedantic but this certainly caused my wife and I some concern as it is not always easy to justify leaving children in a hotel room even with fully working monitors.
Secondly the wifi. Yes it is an old building with thick walls, but if you have to stay in your room because your kids are sick/scared/wont sleep etc etc you want to be able to entertain yourself without disturbing them with a noisy TV. OK so perhaps surf the net or download a movie on your ipad. Umm not for us. The wifi was terrible throughout the hotel except near reception. (This has been repeated by other reviewers). Actually this was quite an annoyance; no I am not on holiday to sit on my phone but it meant I couldn't make skype calls from our room and at 0630am I was sat on the terrace outside the restaurant trying to make a pre-arranged skype call to Australia. In addition just planning the days activities was hard without a stable and decent wifi.
Thirdly the spa. It was so British. No ante room in which to relax before or after your massage, no feeling of Zen or tranquility or calm just in, shirt off and out. No "please relax in our jacuzzi or steam room or have a cup of herbal tea etc etc" - to make you feel pampered as is the norm at any reasonable spa. Very disappointing. Again perhaps I have been spoilt but Fowey is competing with international destinations so I don't think I am unfair.

This average delivery was reflected elsewhere and once experienced was hard not to keep noticing - both my wife and on multiple and separate occasions asked for coffee in the lounge and once to help with our bags. We had to remind the staff once (and received coffee around 30 mins later) and gave up on two other times ...there were a number of other times when it was delivered on time to be fair. But again just annoying when you have small kids and are grabbing a coffee before heading out, or in our case waiting for the rain to stop.

OK lets end on a positive: They had a genuine fire alarm while we were there. At 4am. The staff were great and very apologetic (these things happen and i genuinely do not see this as positive or negative in itself) . The following day we were all offered a free night later in the year or to extend our stay. Good reasonable and fair I think.
Also Ben the sommelier (probably a bit of promotion of rank there!) was very good at offering a "taste" and upselling. Not a problem from our side as we enjoyed some good wine and a liqueur on his recommendation.

Would I go back? - probably if I was in the area or didn't have time to research anywhere new. Would I actively choose it again as a destination of choice- probably not.

Room Tip: wfifi likely to be better above reception.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank simonhasmith

Dear 'simonhasmith'

Thank you for taking the time to give us your review and feedback. It seems as there were a lot of aspects of your stay with us you have enjoyed, however I do apologise for the things you didn't enjoy. We really do value customer feedback as it helps us to improve the services to all our guests. Please could you contact me directly at the hotel so I can apologise in person and more importantly see if I can make amends.

Thank you again for your feedback and I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a last minute get away.

Good points:

Lovely building, grounds, and cozy welcoming feel. 5 min walk to harbour.

Room: was in the separate outbuilding (1 min walk). Very large room. Huge bathroom. Clean, warm, comfy.

Staff: welcoming and helpful. Nice tour when we arrived.

Spa/pool: great, clean, warm.

Kids: everything was perfectly setup for little ones. Toy room, lots of entertainment. Crèche looked great although we didn't use it. Bottle cleaning service and warm milk was lovely touch. It didn't feel like children were not welcome at any time, which is often the case in many hotels.

Restaurant: we used family dining area. Lovely food. Separate adult only area which looked nice.

Points for improvement:

Restaurant/Menu/Wine List/Bar:
The menu although high end food was quite limited, and had we eaten there for two nights I think I would have run out of options to choose from. It would be nice if there was a cheaper bar snack/simple menu to give you an option if you didn't want to eat from the a la carte menu.

Wine list was very expensive. It would nice to see some slightly more reasonable priced wines.

Bar: there is not bar, and staff serve you in the lounge areas. Found it quite difficult to get served - waited for half an hour. Perhaps the hotel could address this?

It was quite expensive taking into account no other food options in hotel. Our bill was £140 just for two course dinner (2 adults 1 toddler) and drinks (g&t, a cider, and a bottle of wine) so I can imagine if you were here for a week it would be really expensive (this might not be the case for other people but gives you an idea of costings).

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
FoweyHallHotel, Operations Manager at Fowey Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Dear 'Jimb83'

Thank your for leaving us your lovely review. I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your last minute getaway at Fowey Hall. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback with regards to improvements - we are constantly looking for ways to improve all our services. I will make sure I pass all your comments onto the team.

Martin & The Fowey Hall team