All reviews coaching inn rooms are clean budget hotel double bed centre of town carvery cupboard venue
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

Visited at 1pm on a Thursday late December.....carvery opens at 12.30..
Seated....drink order taken,stood inline for food and told 20 min wait on meat....both choices unavailable ?! Not exactly what we’d hoped....returned to bar to be called back in....25 mins later now joined the queue again and told veg & roast potatoes running low...
Just about got a dinner out of what was available and then found gravy had run out !!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ice111111
Reviewed 20 November 2017

For the price we paid we weren't expecting the Ritz, but what we did get was a cheap and cheerful old inn/pub which was a little frayed around the edges but full of character.

On arrival, we had to go up to the bar which also served as the check-in desk. We were allocated Room 10, a very comfortable and clean room along a twisting and turning, winding corridor towards the back of the large building, which was a 17th century coaching inn. On the way, the girl pointed out the secure parking area at the side of the hotel which led onto an iron fire-escape stairway which she said would provide a shortcut to our room and save us having to go through the bar and take the long route again.

Our room had a certain old-fashioned nostalgic look about it, and contained a double bed, large wash-basin vanity unit, dresser with tea and coffee making facilities, bedside cabinets and a flat-screen TV fixed to the wall. There was an adjoining bathroom containing a bath tub and WC. Towels were provided, as well as shower gel, shampoo and conditioner from wall dispensers above the bath.

Despite the negative reviews here, we were happy with the room for the price we paid and we enjoyed a sound night's sleep.

Continental breakfast is included in the room cost, and we enjoyed cereal, toast and marmalade and tea or coffee. If you want a cooked breakfast, it's £2.50 extra, which certainly isn't going to break the bank.

On our return to the hotel around 9.30pm after a day out, spent with friends, there was a live band playing and the bar was crowded and lively. We enjoyed a couple of drinks and when we returned to our room we were pleased to see it was very quiet, as the band were quite loud.

We had no complaints at all and would probably stay at the Mermaid again if we were in the area.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime...the usual happens,seated and now let's stand hoping someone finally hears you jangling keys to get someone's attention to carve the meat
Veg cold and roast potatoes look more fried than roasted ??
The gravy was nice lol.....
Shall not re-visit

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ice111111
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way to Cornwall from London, we had our dog so needed somewhere dog friendly.
Our arrival was rather upsetting as on pulling up outside to ask how to gain entry to the back to park we were given a parking ticket (2 minutes!) beware!
The staff were really helpful and friendly. The breakfast was basic but sufficient and the Sunday lunch seemed to be very popular with locals.
The room was very basic, and in desperate need of updating. The bed linen was clean but the floor was a little sticky in some areas!!!! The bathroom was clean but needed a major refurbishment. I imagine these room are more frequented by visiting workmen, which would be fine! We had our dog with us so didn't expect the ritz!
We stayed in a Sunday and unfortunately found it impossible to find somewhere local that was dog friendly where we could eat! The waitress recommended a local Indian takeaway and provided us with plates and cutlery which was really kind and helpful! We ate in our room!
I wouldn't be in a hurry to visit Yeovil again, the parking ticket fiasco left a bad taste and there was very little to do! We found a park to walk our dog and that was it! There was a lovely pub (inn) on the main road through the other side of the park, which was dog friendly and if we stopped off on route to Cornwall again we would probably try and stay there next time!
Decent breakfast, nice pub area, friendly helpful staff and dog friendly, just don't expect a lavish room, possibly a little over priced for the room decor etc.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2017

I have given poor rather than terrible only because the staff were very good, especially the breakfast staff on Wednesday. I really thought I had covered all the bases after phoning to ensure the hotel was dog friendly and to explain that I would have to leave early on the first and last mornings of a 5 night stay to get to dog shows. I was a little put off by the number of stairs, but this is an old coach house, unfortunately this meant I could not use the planned dog crates. More worryingly was that I was, in effect, locked in until the connecting door was opened at 7.a.m. and there was no where for the dogs to relieve themselves other than down a self closing fire escape. Having to use belly bands and dog knickers for the house trained dogs to relieve themselves left the room smelling and the dogs very distressed. Carrying 3 dogs down a metal fire escape in the pouring rain was terrifying. The room was not particularly clean and the bed was uncomfortable, The sheet, which seemed to be flannelette, kept slipping off the rubber mattress cover and and the sheets and duvet cover were clearly years old and been washed 100s of times to within an inch of their life and were thin and grey. The bathroom was grubby and the first lot of towels appeared old, though the towels for the second morning were white and fluffy. The tea and coffee making are on top of the wardrobe and the kettle, full of stale water, was on an extension lead that pulls the cord down when the kettle of boiling water is lifted an accident waiting to happen. The adage, "you get what you pay for" certainly applies here, though there is other accommodation within the area at a similar price with better facilities. Whilst I could have accepted a certain amount of "shabbiness" in such an old building, the general air of neglect, lack of cleanliness and a feeling of being 'trapped' behind a locked connecting door was too much. Although booked and paid for 5 nights, I stayed for 2 (from necessity) and was refunded for 2. This is not 3* standard. The friendliness of the staff is the only reason I have given this rating.

Room tip: Find another hotel.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank j i
ahappychappie, Owner at Mermaid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

I'm sorry you where disappointed, I can assure you that you where never locked in. The fire door leads down to the rear yard and although it's self closing you room key opens it.
As for your dogs, well I have 2,neither of which have problems needing to go to the toilet in the night, in fact they go out at 9pm and the again at 9-10 am so I guess they must have unusually strong bladders.
We do not use flanelette sheets.
On this occasion I agree that the bathroom was not up to my cleaning standards and have already had words with the cleaning staff.