All reviews railway station modern hotel ironing rooms short walk into town complimentary coffee tea high quality breakfast terminus hotel well equipped gym norwegian hospitality free bikes bright room small street light rail clean and comfortable rooms shampoo and conditioner mackerel arriving by train
Reviewed 1 May 2018

If I had taken the time to read some of the earlier negative reviews I doubt we would have chosen this hotel for our 2 day stay in Bergen. We arrived late and were given the smallest room in the hotel - so small it was difficult for two people to occupy the space in harmony. The staff were pleasant, but were unable to change our room until the next afternoon, and the second room was adequate, and in line with what you'd expect in Norway at this price. I don't know if it was a standard room.
The hotel prides itself on its design, but many features make for a less comfortable stay than might be possible with a few changes. Perhaps the ugly stained bare concrete ceiling in our room was meant to be trendy, but please look at the picture I've added here to see what you think. The blackout curtains are inadequate and there are some issues with noise from other rooms, but generally sleep quality is OK.
The lobby/restaurant area is much too small to cope with the tour group masses that seem to be the major customers. Breakfast resembled a pig swill with hungry tourists shouldering each other aside to get the last of the inadequate amount of food or lining up to get a cup of mediocre coffee. There are far too many tables and chairs in a small area so negotiating with a full plate is risky and I saw several breakfasts land on the floor. The breakfast fare was pretty much what you'd find in any hotel at this level, but the crowding made the whole experience unpleasant.
These days one must expect that hotels squeeze the most out of every bit of space and the independent traveler must expect that tour groups will take precedence, but this hotel lobby/restaurant was not designed for the sort of occupancy levels the hotel enjoys. Staff clearly try to cope and do their best, but the design and lack of space restricts any remedy.
The location of the hotel is good, right next to the railway station, and the staff are helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put in a tiny corner room, it is only barely adequate for one person.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deharo
Reviewed 26 April 2018 via mobile

The Zander k is in a great location if you are catching the train to flam or just wanting to see Bergen. It’s clean and tidy with great breakfast and friendly staff. It’s got a funky vibe about it. Comfy beds and very tidy.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Jack5516
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Nice new hotel kind people let us in our room in the Hotel early as we had just arrrived from long trip.
Breakfast was awesome Norwegian foods which I love.
Conveniently located. Rooms impeccable. Staff very kind.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

A good design hotel with an excellent location by the train station. Overall service is also good. Breakfast is great. But there are several areas for improvement 1) there should be a minibar or free water inside the room. There is free drinking water at the lobby but we’re lazy to go down just to get water 2) shower door is hard to close, so the water leaks easily to the toilet floor 3) the room door is not easy to lock. It’s automatically closed, but not right away, you have to wait a few minutes before it’s locked.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2018

I just spent one night at the Zander K hotel. My plane arrived at 9pm at night, and had a Norway in the Nutshell train to catch the next morning at 8am. This hotel was the perfect place to stay for my purposes.

First, it was very easy and cheap to get from the airport to the train station by taking the local subway/metro (you can download the app at the airport, and buy a discounted fare which I think ended up costing me around $5 USD). Once at the airport, you literally walk out the door and maybe 400 feet to the entrance of the hotel.

Check in was quick and simple, and I was in my room by 10pm. After a week of staying in rooms with bathrooms outside the room, an all inclusive, sleek modern hotel room was such a delight. There were plenty of plugs, and benches, to spread out all my things. The hotel room was quite large and bed was very comfortable. The bathroom also felt very new and clean. One of the bonuses was this was one of the only hotels I stayed at in Norway that actually offered both shampoo and conditioner, and good ones too! Most hotels do not provide conditioner, which is a must for me.

The next morning, I was able to enjoy a nice relaxing breakfast with one of the best breakfast buffets that I had my entire trip. While it had the staples of a norwegian style breakfast (smoked fish, cold cuts, bread, cheese), it also had a lot that an American or British person would expect as well (eggs, sausage, cooked tomatoes, beans etc). It also had a great selection of cereals, yogurt and muesli. Definitely one of the best breakfasts I had.

I can't say how convenient this hotel is to the city, but given all I needed was a place to stay to maximize sleep in between a plane ride and a train ride, this place was perfect, and very very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo