“Two visits in one week!”
Review of Ostabudin

Ostabudin
Ranked #11 of 570 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Food connoisseurs and other gastronomes have ever since the year 2000 slipped into our basement during lunch hour to feast on various delicacies. But of course everyone knows that because ever since the restaurant opened for business it has been the least kept secret in the area. Ostabuðin has truly been an oasis on Skolavorðustigur because we have tried our best to offer a wide varaity of fresh and curious products which have tickled our patrons taste buds and in turn trickled salivating reflexes in the city center. Even though we have taken some pride in the queue that has formed outside our entrance every single day during lunch break for the past 15 years we have finally expanded our premises. Thus we can now welcome our patrons from dawn til dusk and offer them a variety of fish and meat dishes which we have refined with passion. Of course there is also a lot of cheese on the menu and now we can also serve wine with our fare. Our daily specials always include both a fish dish and a soup during lunch hour on weekdays. Do not hesitate to ask what is on offer today. Also, our seafood soup never disappoints. Our guests might have to share tables during the lunch hour rush but who knows – maybe you will make new friends. Bon appetit, Joi.
Reviewed 17 October 2018

My partner and I were introduced to this excellent eatery in the middle of Reykjavik by a friend whose gf had suggested he try it while here. We are so grateful for the tip! The food is fantastic and the service congenial. We enjoyed it so much that we returned for a second dinner dog-tired from a drive out to Snaefellsnes Peninsula. Try the Meat Platter (we got the big one and were very impressed with the value) and the char. Yum!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,913)

Reviewed 16 October 2018

We came here for a late lunch and were pleasantly surprised that the lunch menu was a reasonable price. The dinner menu is standard Icelandic prices though.
Doesn't matter, food was so delicious here! I wanted to go back again but we didn't stay in Reykjavik too long. We had the fish of the day (cod) and the goose salad. Seriously, the goose salad was extremely tasty. We kept looking for other restaurants that served goose. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 12 October 2018

I am not convince to be a returning customer. Just a taste bud experience that is all...the grilled minke whale, afterall it does not have any 'wow' factor taste, but even the usual Arctic Char, I feel the one we had in Akureyri taste sooo much better, better cooking I think. So nothing great here, I feel slightly over-hyped on this place due to the whale meat they offer, and I think the owner make good 'cash-in' strategy, pricey. I will be a returning customer to Icelandic SF than this.

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

We had the Minke Whale steak and Goose salad as starters and the Artic Char as our main dish. The flavors and presentation were excellent while the service was friendly and quick. All the TripAdvisor reviews were correct and the restaurant did not disappoint. Would definitely go back again.

Note: Since the restaurant is pretty popular and not big, so you might want to make a reservation to make sure you get a table.

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

Stopped by for an early dinner after my flight to Keflavik. Read reviews on TripAdvisor and can only agree with most of them. It’s a good place with good food and not really expensive. I had the goose salad as appetizer which I enjoyed but not as much as the pulled lamb and lamb fillet entree. A great choice! and a tip from another traveler. Thanks. I’d go back during this trip it there weren’t so many good restaurant in Reykjavík to choose from, but I’ll definitely be back. The selection of whiskeys is a little thin if I had something to criticize. That could the owner easily take care of.