“Loved it ”

Ranked #17 of 570 Restaurants in Reykjavik
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, Soups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A tiny, family owned soup restaurant in the heart of Reykjavik. We are proud to be the first and the original "soup in bread" restaurant in Iceland. We've been serving soups in bread for over 20 years amd we love it. Please note: We do not take reservations, ever - but swing by and we will do our best to fit you in with smiles on our faces! :)
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

What a great place.

It’s not that big and is always busy but we were lucky to get seated right away.

Soup is quick to arrive and with the bread it’s very filling. Tasty, quick and reasonably priced food (for Iceland) in quaint surroundings.

Friendly staff and a must when in Reykjavik.

1  Thank ClaireDut
Write a ReviewReviews (2,781)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The menu is small. You get two choices, either a meat or vegetarian soup.

I’m not sure if the soup changes from day-to-day, but when I was there - Meat soup (cream based) = beef, lamb, bacon, and fennel. Vegetarian soup = mushroom soup.

I had the meat soup, and it was one of the best soup I have had, and also my favourite meal in the two weeks I was in Iceland.

Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of your bread bowl as well! Those had soaked up the soup, and was absolutely delicious.

2  Thank Dione G
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My husband and I found this gem walking around the shops. We had the meat soup and it was delicious! We sat at a table next to a local and another table with a mother/daughter visiting from the states like we were. We talked the entire time we were there. It was a small place, so we got the last table during lunch time. The service was great and fast. Definitely a place I would go again, It was about $20 each which is cheap in Iceland.

1  Thank WendyB12
Reviewed 13 October 2018

The menu is simple--two kinds of soup every night, in a bread bowl. That's it! I had the mushroom soup, and it was superb. Just the ticket on a cold, damp night. The bread was crusty, tasty and terrific, too. Nice staff, cozy place.

1  Thank Deb A
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

It was about $20 per meal (which is a good price in Iceland) and both the soup and the bread bowls were delicious.

I got the meat soup and my partner got the vegetable. The only thing I can say is I wish the lamb pieces were larger (because they were quite small).

I definitely recommend this place for a meal in Iceland that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

1  Thank DanMLowe