“Recommended for every Finland Foodie”
Review of Heather's Helsinki

Heather's Helsinki
Ranked #1 of 10 Food & Drink in Helsinki
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fork In Hand (Finnish Food Tales) heads out year round. Fork In Hand is an urban exploration of Helsinki through its' most passionate people and businesses as well as a discovery of local flavours and design. Finnish Food tales are revealed to guests over a 4,5 - 5h stroll around the city center, tasting bits of Finnish cuisine and learning how design is part of the everyday life in Finland. Come hungry and curious, you'll get home sated and inspired. Foodism at its' best! Join me for a taste adventure with Helsinki as the backdrop. Let's have fun out there!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 June 2018

The interaction with Heather was super easy. Booking process was simple and the communication with regards to the meeting point was easy, clear and communicated in advance.

The tour itself with Heather was great and we would recommend it to every foodie interested in local dishes and visiting Helsinki. Heather showed us different food places in the walking distances of the city center and informed us very detailed about the specificities of the Finnish food - and in our case - the Easter traditions as wells

She is also super-nice, kind and knowledgeable and we had great conversations not just about food but Helsinki and its history, politics and Finnish way of live.

Our tour lasted around about 5 hours in the end (but didn’t felt that long as time flies by when you have fun) and we can absolutely recommend her tour.

3  Thank 647larsb
in 5 reviews
"grocery store"
"food hall"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"baltic cruise"

Reviewed 15 May 2018

Heather was the perfect introduction to Finland for my group of 10 college students. She was upbeat, positive and fun. She showed us all of the things she loved about Finland and made my students fall in love with her adopted country. They retained their loyalty to Finland as we moved on to Sweden and Norway.

The tour is well worth the money as Heather goes above and beyond what she describes in her tour package. Everyone she interacted with during the tour was appreciative of her. She had the tour well-planned and there were tastings waiting at each of the spots we visited.

You also learn a lot about Finnish culture and the city of Helsinki. I would recommend booking this tour for the first day or two that you are in Helsinki as it orients you to the city very well. We spent the rest of our week revisiting places Heather pointed out to us along the tour. This made our time in FInland very enjoyable because we knew where to go and what to do.

I would also book this for a large family event because Heather takes out the guess-work and decision-making and just allows you to enjoy Finland.

Thanks Heather for your warm hospitality for my students - you made many friends in America!. KIITOS!

3  Thank IthacaRoberta
Reviewed 27 March 2018

So much more than a food tour! This tour was like having a knowledgeable friend who lived in Helsinki and shared not only her knowledge about Finnish food, but also her knowledge and enthusiasm about Finnish culture and everyday life in Helsinki. Heather was great. She was personable, patient, attentive, flexible, and both funny and fun. The places she took us were marvelous – while they obviously had an appeal to visitors, they were also clearly establishments patronized by local residents (and often times we were the only tourists in sight). Be forewarned, when Heather suggests that you’ll enjoy the tour a lot more if you come hungry, she’s being understated. The quantity, quality, and variety of food was amazing, it’ll cover your food intake for the entire day. The tour date happened to be near Easter, so Heather arranged for us to try a seasonal Finnish treat – Mammi – not on the schedule, but she was enthusiastic in wanting to share the culture and it was an unexpected treat. After spending time with Heather, before you even realize it you will have walked a good bit of Helsinki and unknowingly absorbed a tremendous amount of knowledge about Finnish food, culture, and everyday life. A definite must do, if you’re in Helsinki.

Note: When I search for food tours (food tours kinda being my thing when I travel and I have done many from Helsinki to Singapore and a lot of places in-between), I do a lot of cross-checking between TA and vendor websites. Fairly or not, I tend to rely on the quality of the website as an overall proxy for the quality of the actual tours. Heather has a great website, but it’s not always current and outdated websites always introduce an element of doubt in my mind about how committed the owner may be the customers. DO NOT let this deter you from seeking Heather out (my suspicion is that Heather does everything herself, including guiding the tours – great for us – and maintaining the blog and the website just drops a bit in the overall priority of a busy person). My experience was that she responds promptly via email and follows through with all inquiries.

6  Thank C C
Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

A really good way to spend a few hours in Helsinki. There was just two of us on the tour and we booked at very short notice. Heather was very approachable, knowledgeable and helpful.

1  Thank Alastair K
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 November 2017

My husband and I booked this tour because we knew we were going to be in Helsinki over the American Thanksgiving holiday and thought this would be a good way to celebrate. I'm so glad we did!

Heather is incredibly easy to communicate with to set up the tour. She was very thorough in making sure we knew where we'd be meeting, and she made sure we were prepared for the weather (since we'd be walking outside). Her knowledge of food history, and Helsinki history was very much appreciated, as I've never been to the city before. We even took a couple of stops so she could show us some things that Helsinki/Finland is known for. And of COURSE we had great food!

I highly recommend this tour. One of the things that stood out the most to me was that there were only three of us, it was windy and snowy, and she still conducted this tour. She runs a business she cares about and it shows!

1  Thank Kate B