“A great food tour, but also much more . . .”
Review of Heather's Helsinki

Heather's Helsinki
Ranked #1 of 10 Food & Drink in Helsinki
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fork In Hand (Finnish Food Tales) heads out year round. Fork In Hand is an urban exploration of Helsinki through its' most passionate people and businesses as well as a discovery of local flavours and design. Finnish Food tales are revealed to guests over a 4,5 - 5h stroll around the city center, tasting bits of Finnish cuisine and learning how design is part of the everyday life in Finland. Come hungry and curious, you'll get home sated and inspired. Foodism at its' best! Join me for a taste adventure with Helsinki as the backdrop. Let's have fun out there!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 March 2018

So much more than a food tour! This tour was like having a knowledgeable friend who lived in Helsinki and shared not only her knowledge about Finnish food, but also her knowledge and enthusiasm about Finnish culture and everyday life in Helsinki. Heather was great. She was personable, patient, attentive, flexible, and both funny and fun. The places she took us were marvelous – while they obviously had an appeal to visitors, they were also clearly establishments patronized by local residents (and often times we were the only tourists in sight). Be forewarned, when Heather suggests that you’ll enjoy the tour a lot more if you come hungry, she’s being understated. The quantity, quality, and variety of food was amazing, it’ll cover your food intake for the entire day. The tour date happened to be near Easter, so Heather arranged for us to try a seasonal Finnish treat – Mammi – not on the schedule, but she was enthusiastic in wanting to share the culture and it was an unexpected treat. After spending time with Heather, before you even realize it you will have walked a good bit of Helsinki and unknowingly absorbed a tremendous amount of knowledge about Finnish food, culture, and everyday life. A definite must do, if you’re in Helsinki.

Note: When I search for food tours (food tours kinda being my thing when I travel and I have done many from Helsinki to Singapore and a lot of places in-between), I do a lot of cross-checking between TA and vendor websites. Fairly or not, I tend to rely on the quality of the website as an overall proxy for the quality of the actual tours. Heather has a great website, but it’s not always current and outdated websites always introduce an element of doubt in my mind about how committed the owner may be the customers. DO NOT let this deter you from seeking Heather out (my suspicion is that Heather does everything herself, including guiding the tours – great for us – and maintaining the blog and the website just drops a bit in the overall priority of a busy person). My experience was that she responds promptly via email and follows through with all inquiries.

6  Thank C C
in 5 reviews
"grocery store"
"food hall"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"baltic cruise"

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

A really good way to spend a few hours in Helsinki. There was just two of us on the tour and we booked at very short notice. Heather was very approachable, knowledgeable and helpful.

1  Thank Alastair K
Reviewed 25 November 2017

My husband and I booked this tour because we knew we were going to be in Helsinki over the American Thanksgiving holiday and thought this would be a good way to celebrate. I'm so glad we did!

Heather is incredibly easy to communicate with to set up the tour. She was very thorough in making sure we knew where we'd be meeting, and she made sure we were prepared for the weather (since we'd be walking outside). Her knowledge of food history, and Helsinki history was very much appreciated, as I've never been to the city before. We even took a couple of stops so she could show us some things that Helsinki/Finland is known for. And of COURSE we had great food!

I highly recommend this tour. One of the things that stood out the most to me was that there were only three of us, it was windy and snowy, and she still conducted this tour. She runs a business she cares about and it shows!

1  Thank Kate B
Reviewed 19 October 2017

If you want to know a people, a culture, a tradition, then learn their food. If you find yourself in Helsinki, Heather will not only provide a great introduction to the food of the area, and a tasty one at that - but give you a tour of the great city at the same time.

We went with our seven year old son, JJ, who enjoyed the tour so much - and has asked me to learn how to make their traditional porridge.

A good walking tour, about four hours, with plenty to eat, plenty to learn and you will see everything. Finland has a unique culture and heritage, and is embracing it through their food.

Instead of spending a lot of money on shore excursions from your cruise ship, do yourself a favor- check in with Heather, and you won't be sorry. - Oh, and make sure she has you try some of their sweets.

2  Thank Terry S
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 September 2017

From the time of booking to the day itself - absolutely seamless and interesting! Great food, and so much history! A beautiful way to learn about Helsinki and its food history and seeing some of the beautiful sights along the way! We loved Stockmann! We are still working our way through all the Lakrids we bought home, and look forward to visiting Helsinki again in the future!

Heather D, Owner at Heather's Helsinki, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Thank you Troll2010, for taking the time to comment and sharing your experience from start to end (and beyond!). Enjoy your Lakrids! A little liquorice birdy tells me that there are new flavours now ;)

Safe travels