All reviews no window frosted glass conveniently located hotel small room great hotel central station single room iron and ironing board small desk breakfast buffet rain shower meatballs rooms were very clean comfortable bed enjoyed my stay luggage room modern hotel
Reviewed 2 May 2018

Best small room with now window - comfortable and had everything I needed. Perfect for short stay or when you only come back to hotel to sleep after sightseeing and events. Really good choice of for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Over the past month we had been touring Central Europe. This was the last hotel of nine. It was also the worst. By a considerable margin.

You kinda know the sort of hotel you've booked when you arrive at self check-in terminals in reception. Except two are broken ('ur funktion' featured prominently across a number of devices during our stay) and a very stressed front-office staff - as it turned out THE (as in only) front office staff - is attempting to check everyone else in at the third. Now you really know the sort of hotel you've booked.

THE - as in only - was a sort of recurring theme. It wasn't that the BW And was under-staffed per se, just that at any given time there seemed to be one very stressed working individual plus any number of others 'attending their place of employment'.

The bar and restaurant are lively. Fortunately we had booked a larger room which turned out to be on the top floor. If you are unwise enough to book at the BW And you probably wish to avoid the lower floors - depending of course on how you feel about throbbing bass riffs.

'Larger room' is relative. I understand from other reviews there are windowless pods in the hotel which must be truly awful. Our (excessively brown) room, although perfectly reasonable in terms of square metres, managed to give a pod-like impression by dint of having to circumnavigate the bathroom to get to the bed. Half the room was given over to 'interior corridor'. Best Western does have form when it comes to 'bold design' but usually that stops at décor. This was a truly dumb use of space.

Breakfast was chaotic and overcrowded. Unsurprising really. They advertise for walk-ins as well as guests. As there are no checks on room numbers and no payment facilities they probably get a lot of external patronage. One suspects the BW And differentiates itself by including breakfast in its rate - not the Stockholm norm - and, as the signs in the lift indicate, it truly is 'available' until 9:30. (But, as the signs also indicate, if you want a seat best to be there at 7:00).

What else? Our safe was broken. We reported it each day. Each day THE front desk bunny (without really bothering to appear credible) promised THE engineer would fix it and, from day two on, expressed amazement that it hadn't happened yet. THE engineer, of course, is an imaginary friend - Godot will show up first.

By way of a defence, THE front desk explained they were a three-star hotel (reminiscent of the Bristol City 'we're **** and we know it' supporters chant) which might elicit more sympathy if they didn't charge four-star prices.

But, wait, I hear you say... it's a Best Western. Yup, no expectations of luxury. Best Western is boring, mid-range, know-what-to-expect (excepting the occasional décor atrocity), 'safe'. Except this time it wasn't.

We have stayed at a number of Best Westerns over the years. This (the last) was the worst. By a considerable margin.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2018

The rooms are very small, and the bathroom is tiny (well designed, but very small). There was continuous bass music played each night until at least 3:00 AM. We could feel it in the walls and furniture! Breakfast was okay, nothing special. The Wi-Fi worked well. I intentionally booked a room without a window, thinking a window is not worth £12 per day. I was wrong! It was impossible to tell if it was light out in the morning. Also, the clock on the TV is too bright.

Room Tip: Pay for the window. The basement rooms make you feel very claustrophobic.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2018

I stayed for one night booked for aprox £188. Very Dry air conditioning which resulted in coughing all night with very noise environment. Very poor air conditioning. Low ceilings felt like I was in a prison.

Tiny rooms with no windows!

Staff was not interested in detail of the suffering and uncomfortable night.

Never Again

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Jonas W, Owner at Best Western and hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear Adnan,
Yes, we had some correspondence about this, you and I, and I am sorry that you felt that the air was dry. And you also wrote earlier that there was noise outside your door, from either lift or people moving things. Did you ask our night manager to check what was going on? Maybe we could have done something about it. But still, I am sorry about this. However, when you write to me that my option is either a total refund or a bad review on Tripadvisor, I have to say no. I can’t give way to these types of threats.
Yours truly/&jonas

Reviewed 12 April 2018

I booked a room with no window and thought it would not be an issue.

For me the room was too hot and even with the air con on the coolest setting and I found it very claustrophobic. I am not blaming the hotel as I knew what I had booked, hence my very good rating.

I was a solo traveller but if you were a couple having a romantic few nights together be prepared not only is it hot in the room but the en suite is basically a glass pod in the bedroom with frosted glass. You will see as clear as day your loved one sitting on the toilet emptying their bowels!
I only had breakfast and no complaints, nice selection.
I would go back to the hotel but book a room with a window.

Room Tip: I had 211 on the 2nd floor with no window