“Nice place”

20:00
Ranked #22 of 113 Restaurants in Northcote
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Had dinner with friends. Pizza was large & tasty. Desserts were a highlight. Room was a little noisy (room behind the bar). I recommend getting a table along the corridor or at the front or back of the restaurant. I don't like butchers paper as a table cloth but that's just a personal thing. Service was good with friendly down to earth staff. Nice atmosphere. Price almost $200 for 3 people (3 course plus 1 glass of wine & coffees each)

Date of visit: February 2017
Write a reviewReviews (52)

Reviewed 4 January 2017

We came in for an early snack prior to a movie at the Westgarth. Lovely wine/bar type setting out front and larger restaurant set at the rear of the building. Service was good, food was very nice and wines were interesting. We came back for dinner after the show. We'll be back again

Reviewed 26 December 2016

This is a surprisingly large establishment; misleading from the outside that looks in to the wine bar area. Quite large portions and service was fine. The salumi was good; however we were a bit limited on the choices for mains. My wife had pizza which we didn't think was very good at all. Too stodgy. The barramundi was fine and well cooked, but the accompaniments on the plate were a bit odd to me. The side of char-grilled broccolini was very good. Thought it promised a lot but didn't deliver overall.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

This is a small Italian wine bar and restaurant. The food that I had was delicious and the service prompt, polite and attentive.
Our party of 2 was seated in the back, it's a cosy space but with a large group that was near our table it was quite noisy at times.
There is a wide selection of both Australian and imported wines available by the glass and the bottle.
The night we were there was very busy but the staff did their best to ensure we were well looked after,
The menu , while not extensive , has some interesting dishes to choose from. I had the duck and it was the best I have ever eaten, it was so tender and full of flavour.

If you are looking for something intimate and a little bit different and special, then give Bar Nonno a go.

Reviewed 6 December 2016

I'd heard good things about this place, so I was expecting something special. The restaurant/wine bar has several distinct areas. The front is set up more as a wine bar. The rear sections are the restaurant areas. The four of us decided to have the tasting menu at $65 AUD. Some of us added the matched wine option at $50. We started with eggplant dip with bread, followed by arancini, a zucchini flower, and a salumi platter. Next there was an octopus dish which was the highlight for me. The duck which followed was flavoursome, but a little dry.The dessert was a ball of sorbet and a white mousse dollop on a big plate. Just ok. Looking at what other diners had ordered, I was sorry I didn't order from the menu. I think what we were served for the price was not great value. Tasty enough, but not a lot of it. The matched wines were unknown to me and from a limited number of what I would suggest were boutique Victorian vineyards and a few European wines. Wine is expensive per glass. Service was inconsistent. I think we were served at some stage by everyone who worked there. Food and wine knowledge was a bit limited judged by several questions we asked. Bar Nonno is not bad...it just needs a little polish and attention to detail. Overall I was a bit disappointed on the night. Maybe worth another visit.