Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
$214
Salton_Sea_Lass
Salton City

A Good Deal

Review of Athinais Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Oct 2019
The pluses well outweigh a couple minuses. If you’re new to the country, it’s very helpful to stay here because the bus (cheapest option from the airport) drops you off and pucks you up a five minute walk away. Just watched the monitor screen on the bus picked below the ceiling of the bus and just behind the driver; it flashes from English to Greek. The hotel will tell you the name of the plaza where you get off (I forgot).
The staff at Athinais are all really nice and speak English as most people I met in Athens.
I was really glad about the cafe in the hotel because I was about to have lunch at the plaza—it’s looks so nice and European with its outdoor seating near the fountain but DANG, about half are smoking like stream engines! I found that all over the city—this is very shocking that so many Greeks, especially those under age 50, are slowing killing themselves with this satanic addiction. Has Greece no active health ministry? (Sorry for the rant—over decades I watched first my mom and then my dad slowly but literally asphyxiate from tobacco induced emphysema.) Anyway, I then fled back across the street to the hotel’s cafe and had a great salmon lunch. Their Greek salad was unforgettable too. The crunchy breadsticks were surprisingly full of flavor.
Which brings me to the breakfast which is a feature I screen first for in a hotel as it’s so convenient. The hotel has a very nice buffet breakfast. The grapefruit juice is the best I’d ever had anywhere. Sweet and no bite to it.
The other reviews were spot on about the cleanliness. I liked that the floor were wood (or good wood like tiles) instead of carpet. I loved that it had a tub; many of us still enjoy baths. (If you’re one and use bath salts, bring your own as I had to hunt thru many local pharmacies to find some and they were $$$) Little peeves: in my basic room with double twin beds there was no shelf or cabinet in the bathroom to put away all my girlie stuff—it’s so relaxing in a nice hotel unit to be away from my stupid clutter. Also no outlet in the bathroom for my curling iron (where does a guy with an electric shaver plug in?) There is a hair dryer on the wall but it’s fixed so you can’t get to the outlet behind it. There was a small fridge, but no microwave and also no coffee machine (I don’t drink coffee, but I’m an avid herb tea drinker so even an electric (non plastic) pot to heat water would have been so nice. Someone told me to go to the cafe, but I was waking out at all hours due to the time change and the cafe closes at 11 pm. I really missed my tea and I’m not even British. Last peeve was that I thought I wrote in my reservation a request for some kind of view which I got, the grungiest ever, and I feature with this review. Oh well, I was alone just for a conference, so if someone had to get it, better me than a honeymooning or anniversary couple, I figured.
I got to see a great concert just a short walk down the street at the beautiful concert hall and I got a perfect seat for only 20 Euros. I felt safe walking back alone late at night along the well lit boulevard and saw other lone women doing the same. I often saw police in Athens, which to me was reassuring.
The American Embassy is between the hotel and concert hall and is fortified like a max security prison. I watched an enormous and very loud protest at the Embassy which was shielded by a half dozen long Greek police buses as Sec of State Pompeo was there (Greeks asking for defense systems to protect themselves from the Turks) and I saw “Yankees Go Home” graffiti at the bus stop (I’m writing a week later as Turks are invading Syria and massacring civilians). A Bulgarian who lives there rolled his eyes and told me the same group protests like that regularly for any occasion.
I had a fun day just strolling around the nearby shops. One day I even walked up and back from the hotel to the great Acropolis which took maybe an hour (not including the climb from the base up to the Parthenon & other ruins which was moderate). This is not for everyone, but there was plenty to see on the way. I stopped along my trek at the Christian and Byzantine Museum which was very enjoyable. I saw a few soldiers in very traditional garb marching in front of (didn’t get the name) the Greek presidential building(?). I had lunch at a vegan restaurant where I had a great Cypriot salad—so, so sorry I didn’t get the name of the small cafe!
BTW if you’re a cat lover you’ll be in feline heaven as there are many cat colonies in Athens and many of the cats are friendly. They looked healthy and I read there are cat societies tending to them as well as many shops having in front food and water bowls for them as we do in CA cities for dogs on walks.
So next time I go to Athens I will be sure to pack my own bath salts, a big bag of kitty treats, and I will happily book at the Athinais Hotel again.
Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Responded 16 Oct 2019
Dear guest,
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you had a positive experience. Moreover we would like to thank you for your considerate remarks as you give us the opportunity to improve
Thank you once more, we hope to see you again.
Δίκλινο Δωμάτιο με Μπαλκόνι
    $899
  • Priceline
3.3 km from Athinais Hotel
View more hotels in Athens
All reviews megaro moussikis metro stop stayed for one night wi fi sofias
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 October 2019

Athinais is a very clean and very well located hotel in the center of Athens. The rooms are spacious, modern decorated and spotlessly cleaned. The lobby is spacious and comfortable and the restaurant serves tasty meals, coffees and juices. We would visited again.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank CrhisPapa
athinaishotel, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Athinais Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2019

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comments. We are very happy that you felt so comfortable in our hotel and that you enjoyed our services. We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next visit in Athens.

Reviewed 16 September 2019

The hotel is very comfortable and clean and the personnel is kind. It is placed in a central zone of the city, not far from the underground and it is easily connected to the airport (bus or underground). In the neighborhood there are nice places where for eating typical Greek food and The Opera.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Antoniomaria D
athinaishotel, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Athinais Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2019

Dear guest,
We are very happy that you had a convenient stay in our hotel and we want to thank you for taking the time to write this nice review.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you again during your next visit in Athens.

Reviewed 7 August 2019 via mobile

Very clean hotel, friendly staff, excellent facilities.
Rooms are spacious, breakfast is convenient with fresh fruits and fresh orange juice (self made)..
Super for three stars hotel. House keeping service every day and upon request.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
athinaishotel, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Athinais Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2019

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We always try to meet our guests' needs.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 1 July 2019

This is a very basic hotel, much in need of up-dating, especially the bathrooms. Everything was very clean, staff were fine, but it's just a little depressing, but I suppose in Athens you're not spending much time in your room. Front rooms are really noisy as it overlooks a six lane road making the balconies unusable, but they don't have tables or chairs anyway. I had a first floor room at the back, which was so dark I had to have the lights on all the time. Buffet breakfast was fine.

Date of stay: June 2019
athinaishotel, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Athinais Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2019

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your impressions, our guests reviews give us a valuable insight and help us to improve. We hope you enjoyed your time in Athens.

Reviewed 5 June 2019

Very close to the conference centre. Clean spacious rooms with good facilities. Friendly staff and good value for money. Very close to local shops as well as to a series of good restaurants.
The hotel has a cafe that opens from 08:00 to 23:00 every day.

Date of stay: May 2019
athinaishotel, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Athinais Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2019