1,606 results
All reviews rooftop pool nice hotel executive floor business hotel per day free wifi shuttle bus syntagma square mini bar metro station top floor enjoyed my stay superior room restaurants and bars luxury hotel visit athens main attractions
Reviewed 25 June 2015 via mobile

Guests kept waiting while front desk busied themselves with paperwork

Reply to where selected shops in Kolonaki were in terms of walking distance from Syntagma Sq was " I don't shop there, I won't know"

Did not advise that most shops closed at 5pm on Saturdays. Walked down deserted Kolonaki at 5.30pm.

Reviewed 25 June 2015

I was initially hesitant to make a reservation at the Divani Caravel because of the extreme variation in the reviews. For me, I consider it one of the top luxury hotels in the world. My only guess as to the variation in reviews might be room choice on booking. I booked directly through the Divani Caravel, where a clear description of the room types and amenities was provided. I chose to stay on the Executive Level, which I would strongly recommend. If you stay there, I think you'll find it makes up in price quickly things people have complained about. I had a spacious room, gorgeous bath, 42" TV with many, many channels, free (and fast) wifi, free breakfast, a free drink every day and special treatment checking in and out on the Executive Floor. Someone didn't like the carpets but the rooms on the Executive Level are hardwood. OK, that's my best guess for the variations.
I simply cannot say enough about how wonderful this hotel is. From the moment you enter it is pure luxury. I was sent directly to the 7th Floor (Executive level) for checkin and got a wonderful room. The bed is fabulous, as many have said -- mine was a European pillowtop king-sized bed. As I said above, I had a large TV and separate stereo, a chair and table, desk, large entrance with plenty of room for storage, and a beautiful blue and white marble bathroom with Olivia amenities. Breakfast was fantastic -- on weekdays it was called a continental breakfast but there was far more than that usually comprises. On weekends the full breakast (like the continental) is expansive and included in the price of an EL room.
The hotel pool on the rooftop is perfect. There are plenty of chaise lounges and you can get drinks or a meal at the pool bar. It is quite a large pool and there is an excellent view of the Acropolis. I didn't take advantage of the Spa or gym, but it was included in the EL price.
I ate at both restaurants (see separate reviews of Brown's Bar and Restaurant and Café Constantinople) and had room service. It was perfect, especially the meal in Brown's.
Most of all, I want to thank the incredible staff of the hotel for their extraordinary friendliness, professionalism and kindness with helping me with anything I needed. What truly astonished me was that everyone called me by my name, even people I saw on only one or a few occasions. I want to thank everyone from the concierge and front desk staff, to the truly professional waiters and waitresses in the restaurants, to the housekeepers who come in twice a day to check on all your needs and turn down the bed. Another thing to mention is that the rooms are spotlessly clean. If you're in the bath with the glass part extended out you can see straight through it (it doesn't even seem like there IS glass, so you have to be careful getting out not to walk into it).
Finally, the location is what I would consider ideal -- in a beautifully treed area of Athens with lots of tavernas and restaurants near the hotel. As many have said taxis to anywhere in the city are very inexpensive.
This is one of the great hotels of the world -- just pick the right level to stay on -- it was not that expensive!

Room tip: Absolutely the Executive Level!
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank ProfT
Reviewed 24 June 2015

Stayed here 3 nights last week with our 15mo baby. We arrived at 1pm and was told our room will be ready in 30 min and had to wait at the lobby. We were never informed when our room was ready and only when we asked them again like after 40 mins they said its ready and handed the key. They never considered that we had a crying hungry baby that needs to be catered first. It was really disappointing. The rooms were small with old carpet and hardly any space to move our luggage. The baby cot was clean and big but we never used it as our baby sleeps with us. The breakfast spread was large but no variety. Had a couple of meals in the room and their room service was good and the food was tasty. There are a lot of restaurants around and if i remember the name right Taverna was close to the hotel and served amazing fish. The taste still lingers in my mouth. There's Starbucks, a pharmacy and quite a few restaurants around if you want choices. The main advantage of the hotel is the location. Its close to the Syntagma square and taxi to the mall Attica and plaka is only 5 euros/trip. There is a shop in the lobby for souvenirs and we purchased a few things from there. At the Athens airport we found same items a lot cheaper. So unless you really like something there its not wise to shop inside.
To sum it up, we felt this hotel can be chosen for its location and nothing more. For the same price you can get other luxury ones.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2015

Stayed for 3 nights last week, and what a disappointment. This hotel is in serious need of a total overhaul and updating. Felt like we were stuck in 1975 rooms. Carpet worn, darn hallways, the bathroom hair dryers were at least 30 years old, installed in the wall with a nozzle. The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor. The only saving grace is the rooftop pool with a view of the Acropolis to escape to when you can't stand being in a shoebox of a room. After our first night, we complained that the family room we booked was so tiny we couldn't move our luggage through between the beds. At check in, when I asked if we had a view (for $300 per night), they said - "no, all the family rooms have bad views of the interior walls" - ours was of trash on the top of a lower roof. After I finally complained to a manager when the thought of returning to our room after a day of touring was so depressing - they moved us down the hall to a slightly bigger room - with the same dark decor, and a small view. It was a little late for that. Quite a bad way to welcome families to Athens. Hoping they figure out that if you target families instead of just individual business travelers the city gets four people eating in their restaurants and buying souvenirs at it's shops. Someday, perhaps.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Finster71
Reviewed 21 June 2015

Well located, close to Syntagma square in a safe area.
PROS: Check in and check out fast and efficient, rooms clean, quiet and good sleep, good and friendly service, free and fast internet
CONS: strong smell of tobacco from smokers in the lobby and elsewhre in the hotel, rooms small and are in need of renovation and update, below western hotel standards
RECOOMEND: For business or short stays

• Trip type: Travelled solo