See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 September 2017

The Hotel is located at the top of a mountain and has the most beautiful views! It is kind of authentic old style cosy hotel and is very clean and spacious. The rooms are very comfortable, spacious, have massive fridges and big balconies. The rooms constitute of bedroom and a sort of living room with extra sofa and TV. Bathrooms are quite big too. It is not a posh modern hotel, but it is an authentic place, sort of a typical Portuguese old fashioned place. It has more atmosphere and better ambiance than the modern places. I will definitely return!

Furthermore, it is AMAZING value for money! The hotel has a big swimming pool and sunbathing area! It so nice to stay there rather than going to the crazily crowded Algarve beach. We enjoyed our stay so much!

What is more the staff is fantastic, the service is excellent. The check in/out process was very smooth. The owner has personally waited for us till very late. Overall, the best hospitality I have received in Portugal. The owner - Gildo is the best host I have met. He was so polite, friendly and helpful. Made my son and I feel like at home !!

The breakfast served was very tasty and we had it on a terrace with the best views!

With regards to location it is only 30 min drive from beach (unless there is a closer one...) and bigger towns. I think with a car it is a great location.. it was ten times cheaper than locations by the beach so honestly I think it is a superb location!

Gildo, and the lovely ladies working there - thank you so much!

Hopefully you wont sell by next year when we return as you are adding so much character to that place!

Room tip: not sure, but room no 6 was amazing!
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ela K
Reviewed 15 July 2017

I am going to write an evaluation of strengths and areas for improvement because this review is difficult for me to write (as was my stay at this hotel):

Strengths:
- Price was very reasonable
- Free breakfast
- Beautiful, scenic location with breathtaking views from the hotel
- Restaurant across the road with great price deals and lovely, local style food
- Clean and tidy rooms and facilities
- Rooftop swimming pool

Areas which need work:
- Not accessible for pregnant women (myself included), the elderly or disabled
- Outdated 80s-style decor - too floral and materials all wooden and needing update
- Very musty smell in my room - smelled like my Grandma's home

- The biggest downfall of my visit was the entire checkin process.
1. The lady who was supposed to check me in was late to work so there was a lot of fuss and stress over - do I have a reservation? I don't seem to be on the system? When the lady finally arrived (the first didn't speak English) she found my Booking.com information right away thankfully but it made me very stressed that I'd made a mistake.
2. They weren't sure if my room was "ready" or not and made me stand outside and wait while they checked.
3. They gave me the wrong room key which added to the mess and confusion.
4. The biggest one was the WiFi conundrum. They have about 5 or 6 WiFi networks and we couldn't for the life of us get any of them to work for me. My phone kept saying "Incorrect password" or "Cannot connect" - I felt very frustrated and anxious after all the other hassles and with travelling alone and not knowing the place or anyone the need for WiFi to contact home felt important for security. The check in lady got very aggravated and projected onto me and said several times "Well all networks work perfectly for me" and "It works differently for different phones". I was trying not to react but she said "It works for me" so much I said "I am happy for you but I also need WiFi this is my holiday!" - To which she responded (no lie, joke etc) "You are trying to push it all on us - if you don't like it you can leave". I said "Excuse me, there is no need to say something like that. I've done nothing wrong to you, I am your guest." And she said "If you are not happy you can go" to which I said "I haven't said anything inappropriate or cursed or been nasty. You shouldn't say that to me" and she stormed out and said "I can't deal with this". I went up to the roof and cried on my own - unable to contact home and feeling very unsafe and worried alone in the mountains. She came back up and said "I am sorry please forgive it it just slipped out!" (Really? It's your job.) I didn't want any more trouble so just left it and we managed to get a connection but it was only available on the landing or in the restaurant. It's the mountains I expect it to be less stable than the city but how you handle that and speak to me is a separate issue. I've lived in Thailand and China and still found WiFi signals.
- For the rest of my visit I felt awkward and avoided people - I walked to the restaurant and saw the owner, the lady and the restaurant staff staring at me as if they had all been discussing it and blamed me for the incident. Where is the professionalism

Consolation:
They asked me about my time of checkout and I said much earlier than breakfast and they said either they would open breakfast early or make me breakfast and leave it for me to take away - which they did, they gave me a bag of food the night before which was so kind and considerate and a slight consolation.

I can only say that, being a pregnant young woman travelling alone and experiencing all of this made the last night of my holiday stressful and it's a shame that there wasn't more professionalism. You can say "The customer is lying" "She was being x y and z" "That didn't happen, this happened" but you are a business running to please customers and you will lose business by behaving like that. Fine, you don't have to listen to me. It is after all your livelihood and I just wouldn't come again and recommend people NOT to go here - but to develop yourself and your business maybe taking responsibility would be better? A free dinner would have been a nice apology. I can't understand how this hotel is a 4* establishment. I'm neither demanding nor easy - I'm quite reasonable with a hint of optimism I like to give the benefit of the doubt. Please consider my recommendations.

Room tip: Best views
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank purplegnomey
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Interesting quaint hotel with spacious rooms. Lovely elevated pool, nice day rooms. Restaurant across the road great view over the valley. Good food and plenty of it. Very nice helpful staff. A little bit out from Monchique and steep climb.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2014

Spent a night there last week with a group of eleven cyclists . Service , dinner , breakfast and especially the views down to the coast were of the highest order .
Sorry to see that hotel is for sale as it has great potential as a cycling , hill walking center .

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank w200
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is still for sale and so is only being run at half pace. The public rooms are very nice with free wifi and it's a shame the restaurant is only used for breakfast. Our room, although spacious, needed new curtains and carpet and was not cleaned on the second day. The swimming pool on the roof also needed a clean and would benefit from some solar heating and a cover. Dogs are allowed and for the first 2 days one of the guests dogs made a nuisance of himself every time we saw it and not being dog lovers we were put off. The hotels own dogs were well behaved although one night some dogs were howling for some time and in the end we had to close the window to get any sleep.
The main advantage are the amazing views.

Date of stay: June 2013