Estalagem de Marvao - Casa de Campo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Dom Dinis(Marvao)
View Hotel
Boutique Hotel O Poejo(Santo Antonio Das Areias)
View Hotel
Garcia d'Orta(Castelo de Vide)
View Hotel
Hotel Castelo de Vide(Castelo de Vide)
View Hotel
Hotel Sol e Serra(Castelo de Vide)
  • Pool
Casa do Parque Hotel(Castelo de Vide)
  • Breakfast included
Casa Amarela(Castelo de Vide)
Pomar Velho(Portagem)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsold housestone wallsbeautiful housebreadrenewedfloorfireplacebreakfastvillagecastleviews
Reviewed 26 April 2015 via mobile

This was a nice homey place. Bed was good room was nicely designed in local country style. Shower was good, everything nice clean and new. We arrived late and texted the contact number and owner came out and gave us our room and some tips. Breakfast was just OK.

Stayed: April 2015
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A nice old house completely renewed with all the comfort .
Located in the heart of Marvao is a fantastic place to stay and explore the wonderful very old town.
A friendly staff is very helpful to teach you the nicest places to go , to eat or to park your car.
Very good value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pedrosacouto
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I stayed 1N at Estalagem De Marvao on our last night in Portugal before we leave for Spain the next day. Marvao is a quaint little village and is charming in its own way with stone walls and white washed buildings all around. When you arrive in Marvao, you feel you are in a different land altogether. Roads are extremely narrow which make driving extremely challenging.

Upon our arrival at Estalagem, we were checked in by Juan? (the friendly guy at the reception who speaks perfect English). I confirm with him that the room rate comes with breakfast. We didn't have a good start as he insisted room rate excludes breakfast. I was pretty sure I was correct as I've always ask in all my emails a standard no. of questions regarding parking and breakfast to all the hotels before i confirm my bookings and have recorded them clearly. The owner came over shortly and insisted that I was wrong. He ask me for my email correspondences. I've printed out my booking but because the email was done under a box provided by bookings.com, I do not have the corresponding reply which tells me buffet breakfast was included. However, I've subsequent email from my personal account showing my questions on the breakfast (which also prove that there were earlier questions on this if not, it's impossible for me to even know there was breakfast in the first place). Anyway, having said that, the breakfast was only 2.50 euros each! Not expensive but I guess it's the mistrust that I sensed that somehow make this not so pleasant.

Having said that, the owner was gracious enough to throw in the breakfast. Breakfast was sufficient and perhaps above average by European standard. We've stayed in some places with very miserable breakfast, only bread, jam and butter. We've also stayed in better ones with a wide range: freshly baked pastries, home made sausages, jamon iberico, tuna tartar, freshly squeezed orange juice. Over at Estalagem, you get some nice home made bread, ham, salami, cheese, yogurt and different sort of beverages.

The double room was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with strong hot shower. I felt the toiletries were lacking. The bar soap was very small and thin, there was no hair conditioner or body lotion. But again, only very few European hotels or B&B offers full amenities. We brought our own so that was fine.

We ask for a quiet facing. We were given a room facing the road. So we could hear people talking and their foot steps. The church is also nearby so we could hear the church bells ringing every half hour or so. If that bothers you, you should ask for a room with a different facing (not sure if it helps).

Overall, Estalagem is quite a nice B&B. Marvao is also a charming place that offers a breathtaking view.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is one of the loveliest and most pleasant places I have ever stayed; and the people who own the place, and the staff they have employed, are delightful in every way.

First of all, Marvao is a very special place with a unique atmosphere, for all of the houses, places to stay, eat, and all but one of the churche, are within the city walls, and you are far atop a hill with magnificent views all round. At the Estalagem de Marvao you are right in the centre if it all, yet with the most spacious car park very near, down a flight of stairs (or ramps, if you go by another route). It is wonderfully peaceful and magical in feeling, especially in the evenings when you can walk the city walls or take your bottle of wine, cheese, bread and ham over to the little garden beneath the entrance to the Castle and feel as lucky as you are to be here!

We had a double with a very comfortable double bed, a spacious bathroom with a great shower, and windows in both rooms. Everywhere you look in the Estalagem your eye alights on something pleasant; even the fixtures and fittings on the windows and doors are first rate, if you have an eye for such things. Breakfasts in the little dining room on our floor were generous and delicious, for you can help yourself to cereals, pastries, breads, yoghurt, ham, cheese, fresh fruit, coffee, etc. This reminds me: you also have a very well-stocked little shop just downstairs from you--the only shop in the village that I'm aware of--so you have the convenience of being able to get things for picnics, or a bottle of wine, or whatever.

Marvao makes an excellent base for going to see the busier town of Castelo de Vide, the Roman archeological site of Ammenia (sp?), or to do some of the lovely walks hereabouts, such as a beautiful, 16k circular walk from Galegos, just 5k from Marvao. I would much rather stay in Marvao than in Castelo de Vide, because here in Marvao, you are not dominated by the automobile at all, as you certainly are in the other place, where all the habitation is outside the castle rather than within it. We stayed two nights and could easily have stayed three. You really should see this place! Stay at The Estalagem! You won't regret it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Marvão outside and inside!
The furniture was restored and placed inside. Every detail has been thought, to give an excelent experience.
The town it´s wonderfull, and the Estalagem is placed in the center, next to the ancient town hall and square pillory.

Room Tip: twin rooms are the biggest ones
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family