“Go back in time”
Review of Bruges

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
London, United Kingdom
53 helpful votes
“Go back in time”
Reviewed 20 March 2008

As your train pulls into the Bruges station, you dont feel excited, you feel as if it is just another small european city.
A large open space greets you as you step out of the station. In our case, it was a thursday morning and hence the space was almost devoid of people. You begin to wonder whether tourists really visit the city or not!
It all starts coming together when you cross the street, dragging your luggage on the cobbled streets on your way to the Lake of Love.
You slowly begin to realise the silence, the tranquility, the peace, the cleanliness that you are surrounded by. It is an amazing experience.
You then start admiring all the little lanes, bridges, the canals, cobbled roads, buildings, architecture and once again the peace and quiteness of the place. There is rich design almost everywhere. Check out the door handles and the hinges of the front doors of the houses you pass. They are full of character.
You feel as if you have been taken back in time. It is absolutely magical.
The entire city is surrounded by a canal. It is full of small roads so there isn't a lot of traffic (except weekends that is)
If it is historical museums and churches you are after then you are spoilt for choice. If it is just liesure and relaxation then again your are bang on target and that is exactly what we did.
Thanks to the tranquility, you forget your office and your daily grid.

We simply walked the city on the first day, taking in the breathtaking architecture, digging into chocolates from time to time. You are spoilt for choice again for restaurents and cafes, the city os full of them. In fact on thursday, when there were very few tourists we were wondering how the hotels do their business?! We got he answer on Saturday when the city was full of people!
Anyway, DUMON is the shop to go for chocolates. Their chocolates are out of this planet.
Another cafe worth mentioning is MEDARD, very very inexpensive and very nice. Most meusems were half closed for renovation but it didn't affect us. There is grand design, architecture everywhere you look so the entire city is one big museum

The second day, we hired cycles and went on the trip to see the windmills. It was a clear sunny day and the ride was a treat. You may get sore by the end of the day though. Again, food was the main agenda.

The third day was the saturday and thats when the peace and quite was gone. A lot of people descended on the city jamming the roads in some cases. I remember waiting in a chocolate shop for 30 mins before being served, however, the lady kept us busy by offering some free chocolates. How nice. That is the other thing about Bruges: friendly people. All of them.

All in all, it was a dream break. A lovely little city which will remain in our hearts for years to come.

6 Thank Coupleoftravellers
United Kingdom
46 helpful votes
“Perfect city for a short break”
Reviewed 19 March 2008

We have just returned from a four night break in Brugge. We travelled with Eurostar from St Pancras and it was very efficient and comfortable. St Pancras is very impressive with a good range of quality shops and places to buy a quick snack before travelling. Travel on Eurostar includes onward travel to your station in Belgium, from where taxis are probably the best way to get to your hotel. Everywhere people seem to speak at least three languages and it is easy to communicate in English with almost everyone. We stayed at the Flanders Hotel, a small 4 star hotel about ten minutes walk to the major attractions. There is really plenty to do for a few days. Our highlights were a horse and carriage ride around the medieval city and a day trip with Quasimodo tours. The tour was excellent - we visited historic buildings and sights within and around Brugge, and we also saw much of the countryside, sampled an authentic Belgian waffle, saw chocolates being made and sampled Belgian beers. We also sampled many good restaurants with excellent food and service. The ones we would readily return to are De Pepermolen, Pro Deo, De Torre and 't Schrijverke. Brugge is one place I have never heard a negative comment about and is the only place I have visited and really couldn't find a down-side, apart from perhaps the weather - it does rain a lot and whilst we were there it was quite cold. However, neither of these two points detracted from our stay. The shops were very good, there were numerous places of culture to visit, far too many to list here or just wander around. Do remember to take comfortable shoes though - you will probably walk further than you mean to and the cobbles, although quaint, can be a little harsh on your feet.

5 Thank Janet D
Maggnolia
14 helpful votes
“wish I had more time”
Reviewed 7 February 2008

I stooped for a night in Bruges while I was on a road trip with my boyfriend. I really wish i had more time.

This small city is one of my favorite in the world. The people are friendly, the architecture is out of this world and the belgium beer no need to comment on this!

Try the Delirium Tremens beer if you go to Belgium, really nice and fruity!

4 Thank Maggnolia
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
160 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed 6 January 2008

I visited Bruges just for the day and the whole experience was excellent. I was staying in Brussels and got the train to Bruges which took approx an hour and a half (first class not much more expensive and you're more likely to get a seat). We then got a small bus for next to nothing right into the centre, although it is within walking distance.
We used a walk from a guidebook to take us round the main sights including the central square, belfry and rivers. The whole town is very pretty and much nicer than Brussels, although I think there is more to do in and nearer to Brussels.
We climbed up the 399 steps to the top of the Belfry which I would recommend for fantastic 360 degree views. I am scared of heights though so consider it carefully before going to the top. I was fine when I got to the top as there was a chest height wall and meshing at the top so there was absolutely no chance of falling, but the stairs were very steep and spiral and got narrower and narrower the further up you went - my legs were like jelly when I got back to the ground, but it was worth it for the views (but not for the deafening bell chiming 4 o'clock just as I got to the top!!). There are boat trips you can take on the river and little squares and cafes to enjoy.
Bruges is definitely worth a visit and would be a shame not to include it on any trip to Belgium if you have time - if not for the many lace and chocolate shops.

5 Thank EveLancashire
Porto, Portugal
365 helpful votes
“My favorite place in Belgium”
Reviewed 26 December 2007

Spectacular medieval city with tipical historical buildings, trespassed by canals. People call Brugge the Venice of North. Exageration maybe but gorgeous 'thou. Walking throught the streets full of history and photographing the houses and the canals are recomended.
However, we noticed that some of the people of Brugge are not very kind, specially the employers/owners of the tipical stores, but I think that's a general problem of all the Country. We recomend to visit Brugge but don't expect much kindness from the Bruggeoise.

3 Thank PortoExplorer

Been to Bruges? Share your experiences!