All reviews helford river hot tub jacket and tie swimming pool tennis courts hole golf course health spa snooker room signature room table tennis glendurgan gardens self catering relaxing stay public areas leisure facilities lovely hotel without exception
Reviewed 9 November 2018

Everything is superb - the food, the staff, the facilities - they all show the care and thought that has gone into setting up and running this hotel.

Looking at the various hotels in Cornwall on line, we needed one with a lift. I looked at the sample menu for Budock Vean and thought 'that looks really good' and it was. The staff were very helpful when I phoned giving us full information including the fact that the lift still means there are a few stairs to be negotiated. We booked and have been delighted.

Apart from the food, public rooms and bedrooms, there is so much more to this hotel. Their gardens are superb - leading down to Helford Passage. They have even built a sun lounge with loungers and a heater so you can still enjoy looking out over the creek at the birds etc in the cold weather. They also have a golf course, tennis courts - self catering cottages etc.

Most of the people we met at the hotel, had been many times before - which to me says it all!

We will also be back and sooner rather than later I hope.

Room tip: Tell them what you need and they will advise - my father needs a walk in shower, which effectively decided his room.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
BudockVeanHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

Thanks for your lovely review Vivienne, so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Budock Vean soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

Had a brilliant time with the girls for my 50th birthday would recommend for all ages went swimming spa treatment and lunch had a great time excellent staff very professional can’t wait to go back looking forward to it

Date of stay: March 2018
BudockVeanHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Thanks for your review and your feedback, so glad you enjoyed your milestone birthday.

Reviewed 29 October 2018

This part of Cornwall is particularly gorgeous. Stunning scenery, pretty villages, great walks.
The Budock Vean is an equally gorgeous hotel. Loved the setting, especially the short stroll from the hotel through well-kept gardens to the riverside.
The hotel oozes warmth and charm. The crackling log fire was a treat, and the lounges are so restful and nicely furnished,
Really warm and helpful welcome.
Bedroom was spacious - lovely big king-size bed and throroughly modern and well equipped bathroom with great shower.
Didn’t want a full four-course dinner (though the menu was tempting), so opted for a bowl of soup and a sandwich in the bar - perfect.
Very good breakfast, with an ample cold buffet selection, good quality fruit juices, plenty of tea, and hot breakfast cooked to order.
Would stay again without a moment’s hesitation.
A few really minor things, just in the interests of providing useful feedback for the hotel:
On the room teatray, maybe some local or homemade biscuits rather that the generic “Belgian” ones?
It wasn’t immediately obvious that the heated towel rail was activates by one of the bathroom light switches (though once I’d worked that out, the under-floor heating which came on with the towel rail was a treat!).
Couldn’t get any cold water from the bathroom taps. Hot tap was hot, and cold tap was very warm. Not great for brushing teeth!
Perhaps a little more warmth at check-out? A simple “how was your stay?”, “do you need any directions?”, or even just “goodbye”, would leave a better last impression.

Hope to revisit soon!

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
BudockVeanHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Thanks for staying with us Mike, and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and will discuss the points you raise at our team meeting. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 October 2018

Love this place, very relaxing, good food and great staff. Stayed in one of the standard rooms (16) with my two dogs. The room is spacious, a bit dated decor wise, but that doesn't bother me. It is at the back of the hotel so near the boiler. You can hear it and it's a little annoying, however it does go off at night so did not disturb

Date of stay: September 2018

Thanks for staying with us Jennifer and taking the time to write a review, glad you and the dogs enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

I spent a couple of days in beautiful Cornwall with an old friend and this hotel is in a lovely location but my room was tired and dated. I also had a problem with the hot water in the shower which was not fixed during my entire stay.... The staff are very friendly and attentive but whoever was in charge of my room did not follow up the issue...This is quite an old-fashioned hotel where you are expected to dress for dinner...There was a guitar player playing softly on the first night and on the second night the piano player was playing so loudly we couldn’t actually have a proper conversation... The food was good but not exceptional....What was exceptional was my treatment in the spa from Tabitha...I have been to many spas around the world and her massage was among the best....As other reviewers have mentioned, there was a large number of elderly clientele and with the accompanying “music” through dinner... I felt I had stepped back in time!

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
BudockVeanHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Budock Vean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2018

Thanks for staying with us and for taking to time to give your feedback. I will investigate the issue with the hot water in your room and please accept our sincere apologies that this was not fixed when reported. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to Tabatha.