“Good pancakes, meh place, meh staff”

Mook Pancakes - CITY CENTER
Ranked #307 of 4,369 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Neighbourhood: Plantage & the East
Neighbourhood: Plantage & the East
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We dropped by here for a quick brunch as we wanted to have some pancakes and we walked by the place.

The theme is one of urban hip-hop, with various pictures of rappers framed across the place and rapper murals in the toilets. Overall I felt that this vibe didn't work well at all with the rest of the scenery. Either you go for a proper hip-hop setting with a lot of other details or you drop it. It felt a bit like some 14 year old hip-hop fan wanted to make it very hip-hop but his mom didn't let him.

We ordered just one portion of pancake since we've just had breakfast an hour before and specifically asked for two plates which the waitress said is fine. When the pancake came, it was on 1 plate with no other plate in sight so we asked the person who delivered it for another plate, which never came either. We had to go to the till to pay and we had to ask where to pay which is one of those things that should be obvious. Overall not impressed by the staff at all and this is the main reason for losing a star.

I also had a coconut which only had a hole drilled for the straw. Naturally after you took a sip, water would come out near the straw and make a mess. Physics people! It needs an extra hole for air!

We had ginger shots as well and they were really really strong which is great.

Prices were also a bit on the high side for what was offered.

Overall a disappointing experience even though the food and drinks were good so as an advice to management: train your staff a bit better and sort out your half-hearted hip-hop theme.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I came to hear of mook through two different bloggers that I follow on social media they raved about it so I said we should give it a go while in Amsterdam ! It was abou 20min walk from our hotel the W which is central. We went on a sun morning approx 11am which is a busy time for breakfast in Amsterdam ! There was a queue just forming when we got there but we only had to wait for about 10 mins as there was 2 of us however we were lucky as there was a group of 8 girls and another 6 in front of us and the lady in charge of queue was insisting that they all sat together or near each other even though they said they would sit seperate wherever so we were given the next table for two it’s very hip and cool. It’s far removed from Ireland where we are from and have a traditional breakfast in a cafe . We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was packed. I’d pancakes with chocolate , strawberry’s and banana and my partner had some sort of man cake which he enjoyed ! I wouldn’t go bk as it’s not our type of food but loved the experience and the pancakes were yum!if you love pancakes give this place s go ! They also do yum juices !

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Popped in for some pancakes on a rainy day and we were not disappointed. Friendly and efficient service. They even allowed us to bring our dog inside. The pancakes were fresh, light and delicious. Definitely a must try when in Amsterdam.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I don't like pancakes however my friends I was travelling with all love pancakes so we found this fab place for a late brunch on our last day!
I went savoury (it would be rude not to try) and they were actually really good! I think I may have changed my mind on pancakes! The fresh juices were a saviour after a long weekend of over indulging, I will warn that the ginger shot is not like those you get in the uk! It is hot and burns but I like that!!

Reviewed 16 April 2018

Went here for breakfast while in Amsterdam, and the pancakes were good (we got the banana/blueberry ones). They're fluffy, American-style pancakes, and the fruit is delicious, but the pancakes/syrup they serve it with could use a little more flavor. Overall, it was a good breakfast and worth it if you're nearby, but I wouldn't trek here if you weren't close.