All reviews salt water pool train station family room great view main building excellent hotel stayed for one night large balcony reception staff quiet area each evening breakfast and dinner matterhorn view booked this hotel sister hotel excellent stay breakfast spread
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Staff members are very courteous and helpful.Great location and spacious room.It is very close to railway station and E bus stop.Daily utility store Denner is just opposite hotel.Quite and peaceful yet close to the station.Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reto_Aufdenblatten, Guest Relations Manager at Alpen Resort Hotel, by Best Western, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Dear Ratish
Thank you for staying with us in. I’m very glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay. I would like to thank you for your great review and your recommendation. This helps us a lot! We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

Oh Dear, We arrived at the Alpen Resort Hotel full of enthusiasm to find the frontage blocked by builders screens and our room not ready at 2 pm. No matter, we liked the hotel on inspection and renewed our enthusiasm. Oh Dear, we returned from ski-ing the following afternoon to find the room had still not been cleaned and it was 4 pm and also the tap on the wash hand basin was not working.
At breakfast we were treated to a relay-row in the kitchen with staff members shouting at each other as they returned with empty plates and emerged with thunder struck faces, only to return with a louder argument.
Oh dear, I went to ask reception to help me book a hair appointment, and was met with reluctance, objections and finally, blood boiling rudeness. I sorted it myself.
By now, access and egress to the building was via a tiny strip of firm ground, only 100mm wide at one point. The rest of the drive was full of swinging diggers and builders shouting to each other. They started work at 7.30 am and it was impossible to sit on the balcony with coffee and book.
Oh dear, I asked for the manager to lodge our complaints and eventually ( I had to ask for him a second time) a charming man Philip Raber who exhibited a wide range of disinterest via his smiles and smug posture. We pointed out that he had lost control of his cleaning staff, his breakfast staff and his reception staff. We also pointed out that had we known about the building works we would definitely have stayed somewhere else, he smiled and offered us a drink at the bar.
A deeply unpleasant hotel but at £200 a night in Zermatt I guess we should have expected that.

Room Tip: one over looking the Matterhorn
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Valerie H H
Reto_Aufdenblatten, Guest Relations Manager at Alpen Resort Hotel, by Best Western, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Dear Valerie
Thank you for staying with us. I am very sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay. To stay up to date we have to some repair works and renovation from time to time. This time we renewed the forecourt of the hotel. However the noise was kept to a minimum since this were outdoor works only and we only used a small excavator and no power tools like jack hammers. Furthermore the works will stop during lunchtime and after 17:00. To make up for it we have lowered our prices during this period. I’m sorry for any inconvenience caused. I am also sorry to hear that your room wasn’t cleaned on your return in the afternoon. This shouldn’t happen and I will see what went wrong. Our Breakfast is served in the breakfast room in the House B. I don’t really understand what you mean that you were treated to a relay-row in the kitchen. I will discuss all of your complaints with the corresponding staff and see that this won’t happen again.
Sincerely
Reto Aufdenblatten, Customer relations

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

One night whistle stop stay. Last minute rate was very cheap ✅ Was in a separate building however and my room (701) stank of fish, even though I left the door open all night. ❌ Also in the middle of a building site ❌. Location good for the station ✅.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo

Dear dbolton67
Thank you for staying with us during your one night in Zermatt. To stay up to date we have to do repair works and renovations from time to time. This time we renewed the forecourt of the hotel. However the noise was kept to a minimum since this were outdoor works only and we only used a small excavator and no power tools like jack hammers. Furthermore the works will stop during lunchtime and after 17:00. To make up for it we have lowered our prices during this period. I’m very sorry to hear that there was an unpleasant smell in your room. In such a case we will of course give you another room. I suspect that a previous guest may have eaten his own food since there is no kitchen near room 701. I will ask our housekeeping staff to deep clean the carpet and wash the curtains. Thank you for the information and for your review. We hope we can welcome you again during your next trip to Zermatt. And hopefully you can stay a bit longer next time to enjoy Zermatt at its fullest.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

We stayed here a couple of years ago. It was great from the get go from check in through to the end. The room was perfect but the view from our balcony was amazing. Nothing better than winding down at the end of the day with a coffee and a view of the Matterhorn. Location was nice and central. Food was great.
Happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Dear Jaime
Firs I would like to thank you for your loyalty! It is always great to see guests return. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time the time to give us such a great review! This helps us a lot and is furthermore very motivating for the entire Team. We are very much looking forward to your next visit.
Reto Aufdenblatten, Customer relations

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

So we arrived at the Best Western Plus (more like Minus) after a horrible day of a cancelled Glacier Express from St Moritz due to avalanche and then running to catch trains from Zurich and Visp to finally make it to Zermatt by 6 p.m. only to be told by Sarai at reception that “there was a problem with a room” so we couldn’t stay. I booked this hotel over a month ago after obviously not careful enough research. She then sent us to another hotel without so much as an apology or explanation, but clearly they had overbooked, as others on here have said they tend to do.

No manager apology, nothing. Now, if this was an innocent mistake, which is assuming a lot, I would at the very least expect some kind of voucher — money off dinner somewhere, something. Not even a “we’re sorry.” Sarai acted as if she was offering us a service when in fact she was telling us we couldn’t stay where we had booked and been confirmed with a reservation.

I expected a lot better of Best Western but clearly in Switzerland, that was a mistake.

And to the management, please don’t reply with a “thanks for staying with us, glad you enjoyed our hotel” response without even reading this, as I’ve seen you do to others who were shunted elsewhere.

To anyone considering this hotel, go to the Christiania Mountain Spa instead! This is where we were sent — and the one good thing Best Western did. This hotel is a thousand times nicer, particularly as the receptionists are so friendly and welcoming and helpful, unlike at the Best Western.

Also, after we arrived at our new hotel, I messaged Sarai to ask if she could at least book us dinner at the Best Western and she ignored my message. So. There’s that, too.

Go to the Christiania! The pool is huge, the hotel is massive, the breakfast and bar fabulous, the facilities top-notch, and it’s much closer to town. Don’t waste your time on the Best Western who might decide you’re the ones to lose the overbooking lottery.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MacBrideJB
Reto_Aufdenblatten, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Alpen Resort Hotel, by Best Western, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2018

Dear MacBride
First of all I would like to say that I read and write a unique answer for each review here. Due to the avalanche some of our guests’ couldn’t catch their flight and were forced to prolong their stay. Unfortunately this messed with the room planning which is why we didn’t have a room left for you. If, for whatever reason, we are not able to accommodate you, we will organise a room at a more expensive hotel for you. I understand that this can be frustrating especially after a long trip. I am also sorry if our receptionist didn’t handle it very well. But I hope you understand that his was simply an organizational mistake and the entire Hotel shouldn’t be condemned for it.
Sincerely