All reviewslouis vuitton storeold churchold worldvia nassaclassic hotelswimming poolnice patioshopping districtbygone eralake luganosmall balconytrain stationspent a weekpartial view of the lakeperfect locationfamily runhotel location is
Reviewed 23 April 2018

The Hotel International au Lac is a beautiful old world hotel in a very nice location in Lugano. The hotel has a beautiful outdoor area with many lounge chairs, a pool, small bikes for kids, ping pong and chess. The hotel was very clean, it is a older but kept up well. Our room did accommodate two adults and two children but it was a bit small. There was a larger room for more money but we did not plan to stay in the room long. The beds were all comfortable and the balcony had a view of the lake. The breakfast was plentiful and the staff was very nice. If we return to Lugano, we would come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
RobertoSchmid, Owner at Hotel International au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you scherrc2018 for your very nice words!
Sincerely yours,

Roberto Schmid
Hotel International au Lac, Lugano * * *s
Fam. Schmid, propr. dir.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We only had less than 24 hours here but loved every minute of it when in our historic hotel and room. The hotel is beautifully restored and renovated to keep it up to date yet keeps the old world charm it once had. We stayed in the canopy bedroom and love the romantic feel of it. We enjoyed hanging out at the bar on the second floor and sitting room for pre-dinner cocktails and after dinner wine. As always, I wish for more time in such lovely finds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and balcony if you are there in the summer. Great lake views.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
RobertoSchmid, Owner at Hotel International au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Dear Paar21,
we are very happy you enjoyed our Belle-époque Double Room with Canopy-bed, it's the only one in our hotel!
I am sure you enjoyed also to visit our museum with the history of your hotel that dates back to 1906.
See you next year,

Roberto Schmid
Hotel International au Lac, Lugano * * *s
Fam. Schmid, propr. dir.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

For a tourist town like Lugano, I was surprised to find such high quality and good service at such reasonable prices during Easter holiday, so good that we extended our stay with one night. It has the perfect old world charm, you’re whisked back to 50 years ago(the hotel actually opened 100 years ago!) as every detail inside and outside your room is meticulously planned and executed. Big breakfast spread open until 11:30(!), beautiful garden with pool and sun chairs, beautiful lounge which we never used because our room 460 has the perfect balcony facing the lake. Large room and bathroom, and overall great service makes this hotel one of the loveliest places I have stayed at, much more charming than 5 star chain hotels! I would definitely return here next time I’m in town!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2017

We stayed at International au Lac while attending a conference in Lugano. The hotel is located just off the main street by the lake. It was about 15 minute drive from the train station. I used the bus throughout the conference. The bus stop is nearby. The hotel is very charmingly historic. The room was adequate, though air conditioning was not very effective. The breakfast service was fantastic. The location is very good. There are a lot of shops and restaurants nearby. The view from the hotel bar balcony was spectacular.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank N_and_R
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Old world hotel which personally I found charming. Right by the lake and not far from restaurants. You can take a bus or taxi from the station or the funicular if you don't mind walking a bit.
We booked a room with "landmark view" but the view was only of the Louis Vitton store across the alleyway. If the non-view rooms are otherwise the same then it totally wasn't worth the extra money. Find out if your room will actually have a view before booking.
Room was a generous size for Switzerland and had a modern bathroom.
I left my clothes on an upholstered chair the first night and was itching and scratching the next day. I have visible bite marks on me.
Breakfast was well serviced and had a good selection, certainly by Swiss standards.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple