All reviews reading room rooftop terrace old town breakfast room is main pedestrian quaint hotel third floor perfect location three star parking garage side street continental style sitting room top floor nice breakfast original features double room
Reviewed 11 June 2018

The positives: The location is fantastic. It is a small side street of the main piazza, but my cab driver had no qualms getting there. It has a small but charming lobby. And the best part: the staff. Helpful, good natured, and definitely invested in your stay.
But then: The first room I had (notice I said first) was pretty dingy. Now, I paid a pittance for a lot minute reservation get away, so I wasn't expecting much. But still, pretty dingy. And then, the wifi just would not work. So I went downstairs and the staff immediately moved me to a very nice room - a definite upgrade. Still had dated furniture, but a beautiful, renovated bathroom. And the wifi was perfect. The breakfast was just fine a bit better than average.
I would say they have the potential for a beautiful gem, but it does need some maintenance attention.
One thing also: it is a maze like nothing I have ever seen. It is a fire egress nightmare, with staircases everywhere leading in all different directions. My husband is an architect, so I notice things like this. Please make sure you make note of exits.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2018

Being able to enjoy the wonderful view from our bedroom compensated somewhat for the shortcomings of the hotel which has character but is in serious need of modernisation. Tthe furniture and fittings have seen better days, and the tiny bathroom contained a shower cubicle similar to that found on a sleeper train.
The breakfast room has a bit of charm which is more than can be said for the breakfast which is best described as basic. All of which is a pity as the reception staff are very friendly and helpful and the location is great for exploring the city.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2018

The Hotel Fortuna is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean, if a bit worn around the edges. The breakfast is basic but ok. I think my other half summed it up by saying "there's a hint of the Fawlty Towers about it". I loved Perugia and liked staying at the Hotel Fortuna but to be honest there are some bonkers things about it. For a start the lift. Never have I been so sure I'd be stuck in one. It's rickety in the extreme and once you do make it to your floor there is no certainty that's actually the floor you're on as there are multiple little staircases to other rooms. The place is a blooming maze and not great if your mobility is limited.

The rooms themselves are tired or at least ours was. The wallpaper is in bad condition and the rooms are at best early 90s in their design. The balcony is welcome but with a single, dirty plastic chair for a double room, not exactly welcoming. Air con was a great addition but a basic unit as you'd see in an industrial office building is not a typical solution.

We did find the roof terrace but this is inexplicably set out with hard, uncomfortable chairs and tables, when a few sunbeds would be a far more useful purpose.

Then the breakfast... If you're up at 7:30 you can get freshly boiled eggs! If you're up at 9:30 you can have the same eggs left to go cold with that weird grey ring around the yolk because they've not cooled quickly! Yum!

Don't get me wrong, we didn't hate our stay at all. We laughed about it and it wasn't expensive enough to make us annoyed. Does it deserve the great rating on Tripadvisor though? No it doesn't although the painting on the way to the breakfast room (presumably of the proprietor and his wife) has to be seen to be believed. One of the most kitsch things I've ever seen. This and other "frescos" around the building are far more modern than made out on the official photographs.

Would I go again? I'd shop around if I'm honest and probably try somewhere else but it wasn't bad for the price I paid. Just don't pay over the odds and don't expect perfection, actually if you expect mediocrity with a hint of undefinable charm you'll be on the right track.

The location is very good but be warned that it's down a narrow street, not all taxi drivers will drive close to it but once you're there, you're very close to all of the main attractions.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UKLouG
Reviewed 29 May 2018

This review will be divided into several sections to help the owners and future guests.
1. Staff: the front desk staff are well trained and helpful. They gave good restaurant suggestions and advised on transport issues and where we could go for errands.
2. Facilties. Our overall impression of the hotel is that it is run down and needs routine maintenance. Either clean the elevator carpet or replace it. It's grubby. The walls show signs of scuff markets. In the entrance they need to have a maintenance man paint the places where there are scuffs and chipped paint. In the corridors we used we had the impression that no one had looked at the hotel with an eye to freshening the paint which is tired. Many little details that need attention.
3. Our room, 501, was a major disappointment. It was large and comfortable but there were too many off putting details which should never be tolerated in a three star hotel. The bathroom was outdated and badly in need of quality cleaning and repair. The basin mirror was chipped, there was mildew in the shower, the tub had a chip in the bottom, the door jamb paint was cracked, the lattice in the shutters were broken and rotten and badly in need of painting if not replacement. The ceiling paint was cracked and flaking in places. Why was an exercise bike parked in our room? The safe did not work. If a hotel executive were to spend ten minutes in the room he could give a maintenance crew four day's work. There was no foreign channel TV connection for the four nights we stayed.
4. Breakfast: minimal. The basics are provided but when we compared breakfast at the next three star hotel we stayed at the difference was striking. We rate breakfast service on a 1 to 5 scale. Fortuna's was a solid 1.5 compared to the next 3 star hotel which was a rollicking 5: wide assortment of fruits, pastries, meats, cheeses, cereals.
5. Parking. Be careful. The hotel advises parking in a public parking house. It is sound advice because the hotel is on a very narrow street. A big car like our Volvo CX60 would have difficulty. There are two ways to get to the hotel from the parking house: use an escalator that takes you up near the hotel and walk or take a taxi. If you have wheelies the cobble stone intervals between the escalators can raise havoc on your wheels. We found a compassionate police woman who allowed me to double park in the square above the hotel while I lugged the bags down steps and into the hotel and then went to the parking house and lumbered back up the escalators.. My advice: take a taxi both ways. Leaving, we took a taxi directly to the parking house and he drove us to our car and waited to be sure it would start. That was remarkable service.
6. Suggestion: This is addressed to the management. You have a quality hotel that needs continuous routine maintenance. Too many unpleasant details are unacceptable in today's competitive world. The hotel's location is superb, you have the basics, go to work and improve.

I've been travelling in Italy since 1953, worked in Italy in the 1980's, and live next door in the south of France. We travel to Italy at least 4 - 6 times a year. We are almost always pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of hotels. Our choice is to stay in 3 or 4 star hotels. Rarely do we feel let down. Our stay in Hotel Fortuna could definitely have been more pleasant. Whitebeard83

Stayed: April 2018
1  Thank Whitebeard83
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Loved our stay in the busy center of Perugia but on a quaint side street. The hotel’s staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was nice and in a lovely room with vaulted ceilings and frescoes. The sitting room was a nice place to take a break on rainy days and the roof deck was a lovely place for a break on sunny days. Basically a lovely oasis in this very interesting city. We hated to leave! I’ll definitely stay here on my next trip to Perugia.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family