All reviews great location third floor split level small lift the piazza del duomo central location bedroom window duomo view opened the window within walking distance stay there again salami croissants coffee machine flights of stairs continental breakfast every morning
Reviewed 17 November 2014

The Duomo is almost right across the street and there is a great view of it from the lobby. Our room did not have a view, but was very pleasant. This hotel is pretty much local to anywhere in central Florence so we did not need a car for anything. The staff were helpful and pleasant and the breakfasts were good.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2014

The morning of my trip, I got an email from Hotel Bigallo telling me there had been a storm and my room was no longer available. But not to worry, they'd just walk me over to one of their sister hotels. Of course, I was not happy and thought this was a bit of a scam. However, I was more than pleasantly surprised to learn upon arrival, that the room had been fixed and that I would be staying there after all.

I stayed the night of October 15, 2014 and liked it so much that I returned for October 23 & 24. Amazing location. Literally kitty corner from the Duomo. Basically, the location cannot be beat. You're a couple minutes from Palazzo Vecchio and most of the other major Florence sites. You can ask for a room with a view, but be warned that you'll hear church bells. I personally loved it, but read reviews from people who wanted it quieter. My last two nights, I had a room without the church view - it was quiet and was an even nicer room.

I talked to quite a few of the front desk staff. ALL were incredibly helpful and very nice. They helped me find locations on the map and made reservations for the Accademia (David), the Uffizi Gallery Museum and even taxis. They also had no issue with my leaving my luggage there all day on the day I checked out.

A very nice breakfast is included - rolls, croissants, cold cuts, cheese, yogurt, cereal, etc.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

CONS:
Rooms aren't that big.
Very small elevator which makes it a bit of a challenge to get the luggage upstairs. BUT at least they have an elevator! I've been in too many European hotels w/out any elevator at all....

PROS:
Location, Location, Location.
Helpful, friendly staff.
Nice breakfast.
Did I mention the location?

• Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank PB_518
Reviewed 31 October 2014

Recommended by a Work Colleague... Perfect for the 6 of Us - 2 x Teenage Kids & the In-Laws.

Some comments:

Hotel Reception is on 3rd Floor - Accessible by stairs or a tiny lift - so take this into consideration. If you don't like (or struggle with) stairs, or have a lot of luggage, you'll not be able to rush!!!

The Rooms are spacious, current & clean - very stylish but simple & the bed mattresses are lovely (memory foam), so are welcoming after a day's hectic shopping or sightseeing.

The Staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful - if you've not been to Firenze or the area previously, they'll be only too happy to give you recommendations.

Be aware - the hotel is just 50m from Il Duomo di Firenze and the bells will ring every morning at 06:45, so a lie-in will be a challenge! But the location means everything you need is "on the doorstep"

There is no restaurant, but the continental breakfast is simple and fresh. When you want to eat - there are so many local Cafes & Restaurants to choose from (Cheap to Expensive/Luxurious). I'll review the Restaurants & Eateries separately. Whilst there is an (empty) minibar - to stash your own drinks, remember there is no Room Service and not even a kettle nor Coffee Machine for your own hot drinks. You'll have to ask the Staff to switch on the

The location is a real plus - for the price, we really couldn't expect or get anything better to base ourselves for the 4 x nights.

The Wi-Fi costs €5.00 per day (single device) & it was poor (slow & drops frequently) - so be aware!

The TV is satellite-fed and Free to View - BUT limited channels (only a few Foreign - CNN, if you're English speaking). Fortunately I hooked up my MacBook to the HDMI source on the 42" LCD (which is a rarity in Hotels, these days) & was able to enjoy watching my own content, when the news got boring & repetitive!

Room tip: Not a big hotel (17 x Rooms?), but a number look out towards the Duomo. The majority face inwards and whilst quieter (pedestrian noise is reduced) don't offer a view! The kids needed a twin room & were put in the twin, adjoining the breakfast room. It had an inner door to help reduce the noise of breakfast - but as they're teenagers, the bustle didn't wake them from their slumber!!! Avoid #1304, if you like a lie-in! Showers are great, but you'll struggle for a bath & a soak!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2014

Very nice hotel right next to Duomo with very friendly staff and ample breakfast included. Close enough to everything with nice size room and bathroom. Some people complain of Duomo bells, every hour even at night, but our room had double pane windows and double shutters so it didn't bother us.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank shaunwissner
Reviewed 8 September 2014

We had a nice stay at Hotel Bigallo during mid June in Florence, but unfortunately our dates clashed with Fashion week in Florence which meant that our hotel rates doubled in price compared to end of May when a friend of ours stayed at this same hotel for half the price. The room was very comfortable and the hotel staff were friendly. The hotel breakfast was the usual continental fare which was okay, but I always wonder why they serve processed cheese when Italy is famous for such beautiful cheeses. Our room was just off from the reception area, and there was a very comfortable and attractive lounge area adjoining the reception. We opened our bedroom window right onto the Duomo and it was wonderful to see the view. The bell did not disturb us at all and in fact we loved hearing it!

Room tip: Our room was charming and on the second floor adjacent to reception and a very lovely lounge area
Date of stay: June 2014