“Tapas Done Right”

Ranked #143 of 2,927 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$12 - US$24
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Pitti
Description: Between Piazza Santo Spirito and Palazzo Pitti there's La Cova Tapas Bar: We offer classic Tapas and Pintxos of Spanish cuisine, with food, wine and spirits imported directly from the Iberian Peninsula. As in the classic tapas bar we do not accept reservations; for larger groups please contact us
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Don't get me wrong, the Italians can do Tapas alright but leave it to the Spanish to do it perfectly. We had searched for Tapas bars while we were in Florence and came across La Cova and decided to give it a try and we are so glad we did. The selection of Tapas is excellent and the flavours are amazing. We were hungry when we arrived and we almost tried all of the tapas on the menu and would recommend all of them. Along with the great tapas the wine we tasted as recommended by our server was perfect. We even bought a bottle from the restaurant to take home with us. I would definitely recommend La Cova for a relaxed yet delicious meal.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As both of us are getting used to a gluten-free diet, La Cova Tapas Bar was recommended. Down a side street, a mere stone's throw from the Pitti Palace, this was the perfect place for lunch. Lunchtime they do special deals on a selection of tapas dishes. All the dishes were freshly prepared and the manager was extremely knowledgeable about which dishes were gluten-free and which to possibly avoid. He also produced gluten-free beer! La Cova is terrific for a quick lunch however in the evening you'll have a wider selection of dishes as well as live music!

Reviewed 13 December 2017

If you like variety,atmosphere and good food, this place was amazing!
Felt very welcome on arriving and the service throughout our time was excellent. The food was absolutely delicious!
We ate here on two different occasions-lunch and tapas. We really enjoyed the salt -n- pepper shrimp, chicken samosas, and the hummus

Reviewed 25 October 2017

My husband and I spent about an hour one evening trying to find a restaurant that was closed, despite it's tripadvisor and website hours. After that hunt, to say we were irritated is an understatement. Before admitting defeat and grabbing a pizza, we walked past La Cova and I saw the magic word "tapas". Without even considering it would be Spanish tapas (duh), I dragged my husband in. After five days in Italy, a break from pasta and sauce was welcomed and we started with a pitcher of red sangria (delicious!). We ordered the queso, calamari (special), meatballs, croquetas, and the salmon Pintxo. The meatballs were so delicious in their red sauce with golden raisins that I ordered a second helping as well as another pitcher of sangria (for good measure). Please understand that I rarely eat red meat, so wanting my own plate of meatballs means they were amazing. Definitely check this place out when you are in Florence!

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Yesterday was our 17th wedding anniversary. This is not a good number in Italy. So, we wanted to do something different to stay out of range of any bad vibes. In the US the number 13 is equivalent. My wife said she wanted to go back to this new Tapas Bar in the Piazza Pitti area. So we took the scooter and drove over there. It was a gorgeous day, which had started out quite cold but turned into warm temperature and bright blue skies. We were offered a lunch special for €12.00 each but we decided to try ordering alla carte instead. The service was excellent, with detailed explanations of all of the offerings. The tapas were very interesting, freshly prepared and just the right quantity for a lunch before getting back to work. My wife had the fresh raw salmon, which I didn't care to try, while I ordered the mushroom cap with sausage and cheese, served on fresh little slices of bread. I also ordered some very thinly sliced smoked pork and a tapas with goat cheese, which both of us ordered once again.
If you want a place for a unique and interesting lunch while in Florence, and I see also in Prato, try La Cova. The Florentine store is in a very unique area off of Piazza Pitti, where there are still many artists who have their workshops in the neighborhood as well as some great cafes and restaurants. This is right near the fantastic museum in the Pitti and the Boboli Gardens.
I have no doubts that if you want to have a unique evening with wine or cocktails, you can spend a wonderful time chatting with friends and nibbling on fabulous tapas and drinking great wines from all over the Med at La Cova.