All reviews private beach top floor restaurant terrace overlooking the marina directly across the street split level third floor the air conditioning water front lovely hotel sea view room per day breakfast buffet the hotel offers each morning old building on foot
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

This Ortea Palace is a work of art, which I understand took 14 years to transform from a post office into a beautiful hotel that preserves the historic characteristics of the grand building, while also bringing it into the modern age. I regret that I didn’t take any photos of the lobby, but I attach photos of our spacious room, view from our window and view of the hotel from afar. The gentleman who made the transformation happen was present in the lobby every day to insure that his creation was to the guests’ liking. The spa area was also particularly well done! The hotel was easy to find, being only steps away from the two bridges that link Ortygia to Siracusa, and it was a short walk to all of the restaurants and center of town. Valentina in the spa and Olmo at the concierge desk were great! The breakfast spread was also the best we had in Sicily and they offered to make omlets to order in addition to what was set out (and we took advantage and enjoyed a fluffy omelet). Thank you for bottle of wine upon our arrival and for a lovely stay! (My only suggestions/observations are that the furniture in the lobby is too small, as was the shower.)

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2018

We stayed here for 3 nights as part of our tour of Sicily. Despite a wonderful location with panoramic views, the bedroom was dull and depressing and you could not pull the blackout curtain across easily. The restaurant on the top floor served the most disgusting food. Pork fillet wrapped in bacon but with no sauce and just a few wet chips on the side was one example; a curled up breaded fish (again with no sauce) that was so dry it resembled breaded masking tape and no or miniscule vegetables. Another night, yet another breaded fish - dry and unappetizing. One dessert was frozen inside so inedible and I was disappointed every evening we sat down to eat as the Chef clearly had absolutely no imagination and in my opinion should be asked to leave as it let down the hotel dreadfully. One evening we had a vegetarian menu (only one vegetarian among us)? This meal was unbelievable and our main course was like a potato mash souffle and tiny with a tiny offering of vegetables. I mostly left the puddings which were awful. The wine was very expensive at 38 euros for a very ordinary bottle and far more than we paid anywhere else. The breakfast was better although the freshly chopped fruit lacked any berries or red fruits. The staff were generally professional but at times appeared tired and fed up with serving. I was really looking forward to staying here but apart from the location found it uttery drab, depressing and disappointing in pretty much every way.

Room Tip: View of harbour & view from roof top was the only nice thing about this place.
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank franky53
Reviewed 5 October 2018

We stayed in Ortigia for three nights and loved our time there. It was the perfect length of visit. The location of the hotel is excellent. It has beautiful views of the waterfront, and is a stone's throw from the main action in Ortigia. The room was fine, nothing special, but it was clean and comfortable. The service was a bit hit or miss! We expected great service for the amount we were paying per night, but it didn't meet our expectations. The staff in the restaurant were lovely, and happily accommodated our requests. The gentleman who parked our car and delivered our bags to our room was outstanding. The man who was often at the front desk was a bit grumpy. Some of the front desk staff would greet us when we came downstairs in the morning or returned in the evenings, but this particular guy didn't seem to like his job much. We experienced a CRAZY downpour of rain one day when we were getting a sandwich from the local market. We ran back to the hotel, completely soaked from head to toe after running through "rivers" in the street. Even though we had a hotel umbrella, it was no match for the rain, and we were fully soaked! This front desk dude was not impressed when we returned to the hotel, water-logged (as if we'd asked to be soaked). Not only did he not show any concern for our soggy condition, he was a bit of a jerk about where we should leave the hotel umbrella. Other than that, we had a great stay. The rooms are pretty plain, the service is middle of the road, but the location is perfect. I'd probably stay here again if I could get a good deal.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2018

Rooms are small and cramped. Many are on two levels. The first level is dark, cramped, and dingy. To get to the even more cramped bathroom and bed on the second level you must negotiate a very narrow winding staircase. Not only is the staircase less than two feet wide, half way up there is a glass wall mounted light that sticks out almost a foot from the wall and is only 5 feet off the ground. One must turn fully sideways to pass by. Heaven forbid you should attempt to carry anything up to your sleeping quarters. Also, the AC is incapable of cooling the second level, resulting in hot sleepless nights. Hotel staff are less than attentive and are totally unconcerned with their patron’s needs or comfort. One star service at a five star price. Truly horrible!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs
Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 September 2018

I was last at this hotel in August 2017 and had a bad experience with a member of staff. I stayed there again this August and I had a pretty nice stay again.

Everything was pretty much the same as I have writted about in my previous reviews, however I was given a really nice big room this time overlooking the marina. As usual the room was kept clean to a very high standard.

The beach is as great as it always is with a lovely boat ride to get to it.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo