All reviews private beach top floor restaurant terrace overlooking the marina directly across the street split level third floor water front sea view room lovely hotel per day breakfast buffet the hotel offers each morning old building air conditioning on foot
Reviewed 6 June 2016

My first visit here. Very nice room with view of the marina. Nice bathroom with a bathtub to my wife's delight. Excellent location, good decor, friendly service and competent. Five star hotel, so not cheap, but well worth it. Excellent restaurant on the Terrace, highly recommended.

Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed 30 May 2016

Very nice Hotel. Very well located inside Ortigia. The breakfast terrace is outstanding with a beautiful view of the marinas (despite there was work going on them). The breakfast is indeed very good! The spa can be improved.

Room tip: Ask for the rooms that face the marina
1  Thank Patricio33
Reviewed 26 May 2016

This hotel is truly charming with a roof top dining area with an incredible view. Breakfast was a delight not just for the food but for the view also. Service at the restaurant was very good. Our room was clean. The staff helpful. The hotel is in a good location, since all of Ortigia is within walking distance of the hotel. Buses into Siracusa are nearby.

Date of stay: April 2016
Reviewed 24 May 2016

I’ve stayed in many hotels over the years, all over the world. This is the second worse hotel I’ve ever stayed in, just barely behind a small hotel in southern France.

My opinion is based on multiple stays here, and not just one experience. So here we go: Their air conditioning system is not able to cool the rooms properly when it’s hot outside. When I complained, they would claim to re-set the system, and would then argue about whether it was working or not. If you persisted, they would send someone to your room, who had no idea how to fix the problems. I believe it’s because the problems are systemic – their A/C systems are old and unreliable. The internet speed and connectivity are horrible. It reminded me of when I bought my first modem in the early 1990’s. I’ve noticed many complaints about their internet on TripAdvisor. But they told me their system is working fine, and would not move me to a room that had better reception. If you are traveling on business, or want to connect your phones to their internet to save data roaming charges, beware – you cannot count on their internet service to support your needs. Some of their rooms are barely larger than the size of the bed. They then squeeze a round table, uncomfortable chair, small refrigerator that never gets cold, a free standing clothes closet and a miniature TV in that same room. There is literally no way to safely maneuver yourself from the bed to the toilet in the middle of the night. The king sized bed is actually two hard foam twin sized mattresses sitting side by side, with no springs underneath. The bathrooms are also small – mine had a bidet in front of the shower door. There are no electrical plugs in the bathrooms. I usually reserve 5-10 minutes to test out and learn the electrical switches in the rooms – there are many, some with working switches, and some without. Never drink the tap water here, it tastes horrible. The restaurant has limited cold offerings for breakfast, except for the milk, which was warm. The hotel staff is cheerful, until you ask for assistance with any problems, or ask for any help. When I’ve asked for a bigger room, or asked to reserve a larger room for my next scheduled stay, or asked for a late check-out, the answers are always the same – “no, we are fully booked”. This, even though I could go online and see that rooms were still available. The front of the hotel faces a parking lot, and the front door opens directly out into the street. Traffic coming around from the side of the hotel moves quickly, so you must be alert when entering or exiting the hotel.

The location of this hotel is a positive, it’s near many restaurants and shops. But location is not a function of how well the property is managed and how it treats its guests. After my experiences here, I don’t understand how any positive rating is credible.

Room tip: Choose a room at a different hotel. If you must stay here, try to convince them to give you a room larger than the bed size.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Global_Identity
Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

My family and I had a great stay in this hotel. Staff are all nice and helpful, all the more at the restaurant where the quality of food and service are really worth a Michelin star!
The position is perfect to enjoy a dreamy landscape and a walk around the Ortigia island, the best site in Syracuse.
We'll come back soon and definitely recommend this hotel.
Francesco, Luxembourg