“We couldn't read the menu but it didn't matter ”

Trattoria del Buongustaio
Ranked #348 of 2,054 Restaurants in Palermo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

We stopped off at this unassuming trattoria because the price was decent and it was on the way home.

The dishes looked quite plain, there was little or no garnish or effort put into the plating, but the taste was AMAZING.

First we had pistachio ravioli then Palermo style calamari and they were both outstanding. On the strength of this we chose 2 more dishes more or less at random and they were equally good. (A fish steak of some kind and mixed meat plate)

The staff were very friendly and even gave us a shot of tasty local home made liqueur.

I intend to go back again on Tuesday and pick another few dishes at random, I'm sure they'll be good.

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

We stumbled into Trattoria del Buongustaio after our first choice was closed. What a find. Very family, very local, very good food and service. A terrific antipasti buffet with lots of vegies and marinated seafood for 7 euros per plate. Spaghetti with vongolle, a little plate of chef’s special street food bites thrown in complementary, then veal with whiskey/cream sauce, all with a terrific biologic vino bianco. This is the local neighborhood restaurant we have been looking for.

Find it, not an obvious place for great food, but well worth the look. Only two blocks off Via Roma.

1  Thank DuaneK
Reviewed 20 April 2018

Tucked away just off the main high street (via Maqueda) in via Venezia we stumbled across this trattoria. I speak some Italian and had tried a few others but this one quickly became our favourite. The waiter was exceptionally professional. The Antipasti Sicilian buffet was really good with excellent local dishes, my husband was in heaven eating the Sardines with onion and the vegetables were divine, especially the zucca di rossa. The pasta dishes are wonderful - my favourite was the 'Ravioli al pistacchio', which I had twice. In true Italian style the TV was on in the corner and the place has such a family feel to it. They were great with our 6 year old daughter, making her favourite meal for her every time and making her happy.

1  Thank LuciaSJ
Reviewed 19 February 2018

We tried this restaurant one night and were glad we did. This is a family run restaurant and our waiter for the night was the son of the owner.
We had a buffet starter which is basically fill your plate from a selection of starters. The caponata was excellent ( I'm a big fan of Caponata).
We had the house wine and two pasta dishes, my partner went for a sardine pasta dish I had a carbonara. Both were very tasty and the portion size was good I was full but not stuffed after.

We also had dessert which was the house speciality of almond parfait in ice cream with chocolate sauce, it was really good.

All in all a very pleasant meal in pleasant surroundings and the young waiter was very helpful with menu choices.

I would recommend.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us by our B&B hosts. It is in the heart of the old Palermo, and a 10-min wlak from B&B Gallidoro. The food is very good, the antipasti bar is well garnished, and the pastas are excellent. The main annoyance is the light in the restaurant, which makes you feel as if you were under the dentists’ spotlight, or on an operation table!

The food is good enough to recommend though, and the price is very reasonable.