All reviews top floor piazza marina free tourist bus spa facilities lovely hotel surrounding hills pastries the air conditioning within walking distance mini bar botanical gardens historic area street side wonderful city rooftop terrace an upgrade old city
Reviewed 28 May 2018

Good sized room with nice interior design. Room was facing the quiet back of the hotel on the third floor and high enough to get a view. Good Italian breakfast. Good value for money.
Wi-fi in the room did not work upon arrival and had to insist to get this solved which took them a while to identify the issue (hidden router in the room had to be restarted...). The hotel is located on the eastern side of the city centre (near the sea) and a bit of a walk to the main tourist sights but still ok.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bjorncb
Reviewed 27 May 2018

I would have liked to give this hotel a higher rating. I stayed in a suite and the room was large, extremely clean and very nice from every standpoint. The staff was very helpful and accommodating in most respects and the breakfast on the rooftop terrace was great. I also really liked the location. The hotel was close to a shuttle that went to city center, within walking distance of a grocery store and not that far from numerous attractions. Unfortunately, there were several problems that resulted in my overall rating being so low. Although this hotel advertised that it had air conditioning, it did not! I was told that the hotel was in the process of switching over to air conditioning from heat. I was given a fan to use. The problem with the fan was that it was loud and didn't cool the room. This was bad enough. However, the noise was the biggest problem I experienced. DO NOT STAY ON THE STREET SIDE OF THE HOTEL!!! It is very noisy and will keep you awake much of the night. This is a serious problem with this hotel. Since I had no air conditioning, I wanted to open my windows. However, it was so noisy at night with the windows open that I had to close them. I complained to the staff. I was not offered another room and was never offered any type of discount because of the problems I had experienced. The staff was very helpful in many ways but not with this issue. I would not advise staying at this hotel unless the air conditioning is working and you know your room is not on the street side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the street side of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

We were on a two week trip to Sicily with a group of 15 people, and stayed here for our first three nights. The hotel is very nice, with well-appointed rooms, and really good breakfasts. What we didn’t like was the noise, both day and night, because of building construction, and also noise at night by passersby and partygoers. There were lots of pluses — a great rooftop terrace, where we had Aperol Spritzes, at night, the really good location, the balconies, the good Wi-Fi, and the fitness center.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2018

I want to start by saying that I seldom complain about my hotel stays because I check tripadvisor & other sites' reviews before I book. This is rare so please take this review seriously. We stayed here for 5 nights during very hot weather (hitting the 80s) and there was NO air conditioning. We were told that their air system was off to switch over from heat. I found this astounding for a 4 star hotel and especially because their Expedia page specifies AIR CON as a room amenity. Similar to other guest reviews about noise (which lasted well into the night and started very early in the morning), we had the same issue. It made it impossible to open the window to sleep thus we were subjected to an airless room during our entire stay. All we got was a fan and attitude from the hotel staff. The front desk clerks including the manager were very dismissive and suggested we move to another hotel but would not be able to give us a refund. Definitely not 4 star customer service. Doubtlessly, our opinion of this hotel was downgraded before we even consider other services. Location isn't bad, about a 15 walk to Quattro Canti. There is a free shuttle a couple of minutes walk from the hotel that stops at city center and the Palermo central train station for day trips to Cefalu (train), Monreale (AST bus) and Agrigento (Cuffaro bus). Also a Carrefour supermarket about 5 minutes away. Our room was nicely sized but had peeling wall paint, bed was comfortable, small fridge, nothing spectacular. Bathroom was fine. No iron or water boiler (we requested one). Breakfast was good with eggs, bacon, ham, salami, wieners, cereals, yogurts and yummy local desserts. There is a coffee machine and a tea selection. Ask the server and the kitchen can make you a really good cappuccino. If not for the AC issue and the staff's rudeness because of it and the foresight to request a quieter room, maybe we would've liked this place more but a 4 star hotel rating it doesn't deserve.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a quiet room but not sure if they have any.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelnut10101
Daniela F, Direttore at Hotel Porta Felice, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your review we were waiting for.
I'm sorry that, despite everything done, you've decided writing a bad review.
During your stay we had a cold air breakdown and we asked customers to collaborate because, in April, the temperature is not yet high in Palermo.
You have refused any attempt to help from us; we have proposed to change hotel and in return we would have reimbursed the not used nights, but in reality you wanted to stay here and have the same a refund, then sleep for free.
I do not understand why you did not accept our proposal and in the last days, when we asked you if everything was ok, you always answered "everything well, thanks"!
It can happen that we have a problem and we always try to provide maximum cooperation to our customers while they stay with us, not when they have already gone away.
Thanks anyway for your stay and greetings from all the staff

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Great location from which to admire the numerous attractions of Palermo, especially since the free circular shuttle that leaves every 15 minutes and stops at or near most worthwhile sights stops a few steps from this property. The spotless rooms are adequate if not exactly large, the bathrooms well appointed. Excellent breakfast served at penthouse level. Good WiFi. The most quiet rooms face the rear of the building. Very accommodating staff. Street side rooms can be noisy due to nearby construction and traffic.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple