“Great guide for Etna: Carmelo”

Etnatao Etna Excursions
Ranked #2 of 16 Nature & Parks in Catania
More attraction details
Owner description: Eco-friendly excursions on Etna led by a naturalistic guide with a degree in geology. Our proposal is focused on natural sciences and inspired by the principles of Ecotourism. We renounce the use of jeeps and funiculars and propose walking tours in the most peaceful and unspoiled places of Mt. Etna untouched by mass tourism.
Reviewed 10 August 2018

We are a catalan family that normally scores the activities in our holidays. In our travel to Sicilia the ecovisit to Etna with Camelo get the maximum rate. It was easy to contract, no massive paths, clear and engaged explanations. The tour is about vulcanos, nature and life. Everything was perfect. Congratulations to Carmelo.

All reviews
in 50 reviews
"biology"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

As a Tripadvisor I cannot express my opinion in my language the Catalan will do it in English. My wife, Yolanda, and me, we visit the Etna Valley with Carmelo and Fabbio of Etnatao. The experience was a total immersion for the different eruptions in history. A seven-hour outing where Carmelo showed us the volcanology, Botany, zoology and ecology of the Valley of the volcano Etna. All of this, always with rigorous respect for nature and the philosophy of Tao that makes you feel in full communion with the territory. A game essential to understand the reality and the history of the volcano Etna and the idiosyncrasies that it has marked the sicilians. Ah! And even experimented with visits to cafes and shops in the villages of the area, such as Milo, where you can enjoy a good cup of coffee or go to eat and drink for the departure. All perfectly controlled by Carmelo. Etnatao congratulations and thank you for the fabulous day that you give!

Reviewed 21 July 2018

My intent from the start was not just to see Mount Etna but to experience it on an individual and personal basis. I didn't want it to be an ordinary, boilerplate tour. I didn’t want to go to the normal places where throngs of people clamor for quiet, space and privacy. After considerable research and many emails, I found such a guide with Etnatau’s Carmelo Giuffrida.

Carmelo, being a geologist by degree, is extremely well-versed in the genetic evolution of Etna both on a big picture tectonic plate scale and at the small-scale landscape interpretive level. In addition, his understanding of the nature of the planet, its ecosystems and how civilizations and cultures interact will offer a very personal, inspiring and colorful adjunct to your Etna experience.

He is also very knowledgeable about Etna’s living biology, its wildlife and its biodiverse vegetation. His appreciation for the naturalistic side of Etna was readily apparent.

We had a fantastic and unforgettable full day together, and I walked away from Etna fully satisfied, very enriched and enormously appreciative of his skills and the time we spent together.

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

Carmelo apart of being an incredible expert of the Etna and the natural environment is a very nice person, we had a great experience with him and we enjoyed a lot the day.
Congratulations.

1  Thank palomix97
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

As the excursion I was planning to go on in the afternoon to see the sunset was cancelled due to bad weather I was very lucky enough to be the only person on a tour the following day with Carmelo as my guide.

And what this guy doesn't know about Etna isn't worth mentioning!

Whilst I was really fascinated with the volcano, it was the wealth of small details which fascinate me. For example, and it is a small example, when we walked from the car park up to one of the craters I noticed lots of ladybirds either on the ground or flying around. We had a philosophical discussion as to why they seemed drawn to the barren slopes and certain extinction - but came to no conclusions!

As well as being an expert volcanologist, Carmelo also had many facts about the wild life including the recolonisation of the lava slopes which can take up to 1,000 years to get into a state where they can be cultivated. I learnt about plants that could be used as a natural source of nutrients for the shepherds, and one they used as toilet paper…

However it was as a guide to the volcano where he really came into his own, recounting stories of eruptions he had seen and the effect of the volcano on the villages surrounding it. We drove to a hillside where the lava flow stopped just short of the village and they put a shrine up at the spot. Just one of many amazing sights and stories.

This review cannot give justice to a truly fantastic day. As well as driving a long way to collect and pick me up, he was a charming and informative guide.

One tip -and if you get the choice for the Land Rover or Pajero as your vehicle of choice, the roads are pretty rough in places go for the Pajero.

Thank you Etna Excursions, thank you Carmelo.