All reviews four poster bed sun terrace equipped bathroom decorated ceilings ravioli air con superior room old palace major attractions hotel is in a great location short walk third floor spoke english via etnea loved this hotel lovely terrace four star hotel
Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

The location is perfect. Close to everything and in a beatiful street with flowering trees (at least in June). The staff is so sweet and helpful. Good breakfeast when compared to Italian hotels. The rooftop has a beatiful view, go there to cool of and calm down. Only thing to critisize in this hotel is the carpet in our room. Should have been changed a long time ago. Otherwise very clean.

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2017

Not a modern Hotel but one with Character that fits into the historical part of Catania. The Breakfast Buffet was amazing and the view from the roof top is fantastic. The rooms are decorated with charm although some might find it old fashioned but if you are in Sicily to see history then the Hotel Royal is the place to stay. Everything from shopping to sites is within walking distance. I highly recommend it.

Room tip: Ask for 506 with private access to the roof
Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HotelRoyalCatania, Responsabile reception at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

We would like to say thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Hoping to be chosen again for your travels, best wishes.

Reviewed 3 June 2017

Superb stay at this well located hotel. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful - we were made to feel very welcome. Food was delicious - well served and every dish felt specially prepared. Breakfast bar was one of the best we have ever had - plenty of fresh fruit, pastries, cheeses and other dishes, all displayed in an inviting way. Could not fault it in any way.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank 377Rosa

We would like to say thank you for choosing to stay with us.
Hoping to be chosen again for your travels, best wishes.

Reviewed 27 May 2017

This unique boutique HOTEL is perfectly located from anywhere you want to be. I stayed here last year at the same time an loved it all the way. This time I had no doubts where to stay in Catania and was right as it seems to be the man's way. I am not shy but the Hotel Staff is so GREAT and helpful from the Registration Desk to Breakfast and Cleaning Areas. They did recognize me and even remember my daughter and asked me how is she doing and why she was not here. Hotel has own parking, but if you are not around here, then you have to be Schumacher to park inside not to scratch the other parked vehicles, so the TIP number one: get a small compact car for travel for many reasons including parking spaces where you have to squeeze your piccolino car and get an empty spacious luggage for shopping spree heaven (concerning everyone: men and women). So take a couple of everything from the beginning of the trip and go knock your self off with buying some stuff. A lot of boutiques stores around there, especially in Via Etna and Corso Italia (where is very expensive taste will eat alive). The hotel has two terraces: one is on the fist level-floor with opened and closed seating areas. If you want to fry yourself with a sunbath, stay outside and eat the great breakfast including fresh squeezed juice, omelette (not from the powder-HELLO US PEOPS-we know what is that mean and real coffee and cappuccino. Sorry for the people working there, because I was mean to order at least two cappuccinos every morning. If you do not want to park your car inside you can try to park outside, where is blue lines and pay for the parking by going up to the corner and feed the beast with the coins(only the coins, no change...) Here how it works: Monday thru Saturday the parking starts from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Every hour is $.87 or you could pay $2.90 for the whole half day time(suggestion: do it). Then the city goes to hibernation for siesta from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m., so it is libero(free). Then go back to the beast and feed him with another $2.90 from 3:00 to 8:00 p.m. instead of $.87 per hour and after 8:00 p.m. it is free again till 8:30 a.m. next day. Got it!!! By the way there is a team of local peops who is kind of an extortion team for parking on the street. Last year, when I came to Catania, this guy showed me the parking space to unload my luggage to the hotel; he took a few Euros from me and told that he is going to watch my car, so I went to the Hotel to check in and unload my stuff , then found the meter and paid. What is the surprise I got almost year after by mail from the police. So this guy made me to park there where I was not suppose to park, then I paid him and the city for the parking and then I received the lovely parking ticket, so I came back to the same place to fix that issue. Alessandra from the registration desk was the most helpful person to resolve it since I knew her before from my first trip and she called to local police and organization to rectify this matter. Anyway, I still get banged out and paid them the dues. The guy who is on my and your pay is still there and running around with his own chair in the middle of the street. It is like circus. So try to stay away from him or other people like him and perhaps try to park inside for $15 per day and not to worry about it. Second terrace is on the last third floor with an amazing stunning view from the top of the roof overlooking the ancient city roofs and cathedrals and for the people love Jacuzzi go ahead and enjoying it too with some VINO. The breakfast area is amazing too with the views. So enjoy there while you are staying here. Some tips on restaurants: almost every restaurant is worth to visit. The first restaurant porceria when you get outside the hotel(check it inside; Mamma Mia!) Great Food, amazing service. Right on that corner for people like the healthy meals, the restaurant called BUATTA (I thought everything I tasted was delicious including some sort of ice cream(Pistachio). Then go down the steps and make a right, find the restaurant-pizzeria Antica Sicilia(Oh Man, the Pizza with mushrooms and cream Tartufo...HELLO CATANIA!!! Cheap too-$8. Great Service; Massimo is a KING of the World(I named him a FIGARO, the only one thing was missing there is he probably needs the roller-blades, but he is super fast and multitask, anyway the real Speedy Gonzalez!!! The place is really a few steps away from the Piazza DUOMO, the monastery right up the street, the ancient Greek amphitheater...
So whoever wants to take a trip, it is worth of visiting not only Catania, but staying in this beautiful place - Hotel Royal!
We stayed on the second floor facing to east and north with two balconies. LOVED IT!!! Everything was functioning perfectly. Wanted to come back again and again, but it is getting tougher to get a room. And especially after my review, I will be screwed and not getting a room, because you all readers will take some advises to enjoy the trip to this unique place.

Room tip: My room was the best - Facing North-East with balconies
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
HotelRoyalCatania, Direttore at Hotel Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Kind Mr Delafera,

thank you so much for your nice review!
We are so happy that you loved the room that we gave you and for sure your tips will be helpful for a lot of travellers. We are always happy to see you, your partner and your daughter and we hope to see you soon!
A sweet kiss from the little Leonardo

Fulvia, Alessandra and all the Royal Staff

Reviewed 25 May 2017

Staff was friendly and efficient. Rooms nicely sized, clean, hardwood floors. Some rooms you must carry your bags up stairs to. Rooftop bar and restaurant had excellent choices and staff wonderful. Breakfast bar good. No omelet station if that is your thing.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Kind Guest,

thank you for sharing your impressions about us with other travellers.
We are glad that you liked the hotel, the staff, and the restaurant.
As far as the breakfast is concerned, we apologies if you thought there were no omelets: in fact, in order to give our guests the best products, we make fresh omelets, scrambled eggs and orange juices on request (of course without additional price), do not hesitate to ask to the breakfast ladies in the future!
We hope to see you soon!

Fulvia Nigita