All reviews art nouveau mosaic tiles beautiful hotel the ground floor sitting room high ceilings quiet street busy city restaurant recommendations pastries an oasis small hotel side street breakfast room is bellini gardens within easy walking distance via etnea
Reviewed 12 September 2018

LOCATION: This gem is tucked away in a small street close to the centre of this city of contrasts.

Within easy walking distance are Piazza Duomo with its impressive cathedral, the quiet beauty of Piazza Bellini and Teatro Massimo plus the less-is-so-much-more restraint of the vast Benedetti monastery and church. Almost just around the corner are the ancient Roman amphitheatre and the peace and charm of the well-tended Villa Bellini gardens where the date is written in plants, updated daily.

I stayed at the Liberty for six days because Catania is well-placed for day trips to other Sicilian sights, all each less than an hour away including Mt Etna (how often do you get to climb a volcano?), Taormina, a beautiful clifftop town, and Syracuse where the grandeur of the Greek amphitheatre competes with the pleasures of roaming around the ancient labyrinthine alleys and piazze of the island of Ortigia.

ROOM: Although travelling alone, as I was staying six nights and the rates were so reasonable, I opted for a suite.

Entry was into a large sitting room and then through double-doors into an equally large bedroom. They were beautifully decorated with stencilled and hand-painted walls and soaring vaulted ceilings, fine quality furniture in traditional styles and sumptious curtains at the windows to the three balconies.

The mosaic designs on the walls in the well-appointed marble bathroom were beautifully executed and gave pleasure every time I used it.

PEACE: The building is very old and solidly built offering good noise insulation aided by double-glazing to keep all but the occasional muffled sounds at bay. The loudest noise I heard was a thunderstorm that had the good grace to happen at night.

WIFI: Easy connection and reliable.

BREAKFAST: A beautifully presented, hot and cold buffet tended to by the charming and ever-helpful Roberta with tea, coffee etc to order.

SERVICE: This is not a family business, but it feels like one, one where all the family have done degrees in hospitality.

The Liberty is only small with less than 20 suites and rooms but offers the service of a large hotel. Silvio, the manager, and his reception team of Antonino, Valentina, Julia and Salvo are between them on hand 24 hours. All are ever-ready to share their considerable local knowledge and speak good English. Emails from Australia with questions prior to booking were answered promptly and helpfully.

The housekeepers tend to stick to their native Italian but also make you feel most welcome, managinging a lot with gestures and warm smiles.

VALUE FOR MONEY: Excellent: space, comfort and five star hospitality at a price that doesn’t strain the budget.

NEXT TIME: Definitely. From the moment I arrived, I was made to feel welcome and felt very much at home. As mentioned, Catania is an excellent place from which to explore the eastern half of Sicily and I can imagine no better base than this superb little hotel.

Room Tip: Check the website, email any questions and book directly
Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank PartyofOne2013
Reviewed 10 September 2018

A few days ago we checked into this delightful hotel. We were first impressed by the art nouveau design and furnishings but then the faultlessly helpful and well informed staff really won us over and helped to make our holiday the best it could be. Directions were through and helpful,and many small details went beyond what would be expected in a lovely but not luxurious hotel. For example, one our last night we ordered pizza from the hotel -- it was delivered complete with table and cutlery! the location is walkable for most of what one would want to see in Catania but excellent advice was provided for our one long ramble along the coast to a wonderful place with super views. Our room, on a floor and a half with a private balcony was splendid though I expect there are many different layouts. Highly recommended to anyone who wants great service and a unique environment.

Room Tip: the range of rooms and suites can be viewed online. Our small was wonderful
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 9 September 2018

This is a very beautiful, unique hotel in a very convenient location. The decor is classic art nouveau. Our room was perfect, with every amenity you could wish for. The front of house staff could not be better. Nothing was too much trouble for them! The choice at breakfast was so wide that no-one could possibly complain. I would recommend this hotel without reservation.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2018

A beautiful hotel in a fantastic location close to everything.Lovely bedroom and reception and a very nice dining area.Reception was very helpful in booking us excursions.Breakfast was very nice and served traditional Italian Granite during the summer.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Catania.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

All staff are brilliant, from the front desk to the housekeeper. I needed to print something and they let me use their printer. The breakfast is good too, though the only hot food is the toast with ham & cheese. I didn't try it though. But I can't believe I'm saying this, they have a good selection of cereal & muesli, plus a big bowl of pistachio. The hotel decoration is the classic style which you'll find in most hotels in Italy, and they keep it clean everywhere. There's no parking at the hotel, but there are free street parking nearby, depending on your luck, or you can pay to park on the street or in the gated garage nearby. Prices vary. The only challenge maybe the fact that they location is on a slope enroute from the city centre, which might be a challenge on foot to some. But we're talking about 20-30 degree slope.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo