“Hide-away under the Pillar”

The Tavern Of Pilier
Ranked #33 of 119 Restaurants in Courmayeur
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 February 2017

It is great that the hotel has a gem of a little restaurant away from the main dining-hall ! Here you get lovely dishes a la carte in a cozy environment.

Reviewed 24 March 2016

We had a dinner at the restaurant of Pilier D’Angle (a la carte) for my birthday. We wanted something special so we asked for a Beef Bourgignon (you fry it yourself in the boiling oil) with a variety of sauces and also French fries. We were very much pleased with the level of the service (waiter has immediately replaced the pot with the boiling oil when we pointed out it is not fast enough cooking the meat) and the wine that we were recommended. The atmosphere is truly charming and mountain-like, a lot of wood and antique items in the interior… The top on the cherry cake was the dessert – we ordered a cheese cake and it was a truly treasure… It is not really something I expected when ordering a cheesecake – it was somehow slightly baked (so a bit yellow) in a round shape – but after the first bite I realized it was the best cheesecake I ve had in my life… keep dreaming about it and feel sorry I didn’t try more desserts from the chef of the restaurant, he definitely has his not ordinary view on traditional meals which turn out to be a precious discovery. Important thing is to book the table – I have recommended the restaurant to lady I was skiing to at the ski school and she told me it was already fully booked for the Saturday evening.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

IT was quiet when we went, but staff were very attentive and we had raclette with a dfiference. Very good quality food.

Reviewed 21 December 2015

We, my wife, 18 year old son, 17 year old daughter and I, had the pleasure of dining here last night, after a day's skiing in Courmayeur (not much snow, but that's a different story). We have stayed in Courmayeur a number of times, but this is the first time that we have ventured into the surrounding villages for fodder. Based on this experience it won't be the last - we may even return on this trip!

The surroundings are robust and rustic in typical Alpine style and the service was at once welcoming, friendly and attentive while still being quite formal, in essence superb! The balance is one that fine dining establishments in the UK often strive for and miss, veering towards formality, or sometimes over familiarity. Not so here!

The food is also excellent - some delicious crudités to start, followed by fondue for my wife and daughter, while my son and I shared chateaubriand. The ladies enjoyed the fondue, which was not quite as thick as in France or Switzerland, and which had croutons made with a local dark bread, with more texture and flavour than the more traditional white baguette. The fillet was cooked perfectly rare on a hot stone, with a small slice being cut first to check it was to our liking. Excellent roasted veg and some chips/french fries accompanied the meat, and were (grudgingly) shared by all.

We will return, and commend it to all.

Reviewed 11 September 2015 via mobile

I was part of a group hiking the Tour du Mont Blanc.  After 5 days strenuous days, we had a rest day in Courmayeur.  Several of us spent the morning taking the arial tramway to Point Heilbronnerr (highly recommended).  On the walk back to the hotel we passed the Tavern del Pilier.  It appeared quaint and nice and we decided to take a chance and stop for lunch. What a good decision.

The weather was perfect and we ate outdoors. Service was outstanding.  The food was exceptional and we enjoyed a very relaxed lunch, one of my best lunches ever.

If your travels take you to Courmayeur, this is a restaurant worth trying.

1  Thank DoctorPaul
Danilo P, Proprietario at The Tavern Of Pilier, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2015

Good morning, thank you very much for your nice review!
We look forward to seeing you in the future maybe at your next hike... Danilo & Staff