“mystery of the tobacco parfait solved”
Review of Osteria Tacabanda

Osteria Tacabanda
Ranked #9 of 361 Restaurants in Asti
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 May 2017

this is a charming place tucked away near the theater. for several years i have been interested in the tabac parfait which is in reality a custard with tobacco flakes. and surprisingly good. the menu has the traditional Piedmont fare and is all good. i was there during the asparigi season and i recommend all asparigi dishes. note this in a piazza and there is no parking.

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

Good (not phenomenal) for a lunch.
Very low price menu option served with a glass of wine.

What I didn't like was the setting in a basement without outdoor seating in March, on such a sunny day.

I also found my main course of potatoes in cheese -- very bland. I expected some kind of creamy béchamel sauce. But just fried potatos with melted cheese?

My husband really liked his pasta with speck.

I can see having a better experience sitting outdoors and ordering something better.

Service was friendly and excellent.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

We were so happy to lunch at Tacabanda where we had dined a few years ago. The food is excellent, the dining room very attractive and the service attentive. You will be glad if you choose this restaurant.

Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

Having read many of the reviews here we decided to give this restaurant a try and it turned out to be the worst meal of our Piedmont trip by far. We ordered the tagliolini with white truffle gelato as suggested by many reviewers - the pasta lacked texture and was bland, and the gelato, while interesting, could not save the dish. We also ordered the baked pork - the pork itself was decent but the sauce was overpowering and had way too much butter. Our other second plate was anchovies cooked in olive oil with olives and potatoes. The dish was incredibly bland and the anchovies had no flavour whatsoever. All in all, the meal was extremely disappointing and the food way below the excellent standards we had experienced in the region.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

I headed here for lunch after checking out the previous reviews. As others have pointed out a number of their staff are special needs, however this seems a bit besides the point (although I'm all for supporting businesses with an ethical edge). The food was very good--they do an excellent version of carne cruda and my local pasta was equally strong. They have an impressive wine list and as I often order a bottle with no intention of drinking the whole thing, they were kind enough to pop a top on it and send me off at the end of the meal with the rest of my wine. All in all an excellent way to spend my last lunch in Asti.