“Delicious food, friendly owners, pretty place”

Dahlak - Ristorante Eritreo
Ranked #15 of 744 Restaurants in Bergamo
Cuisines: African
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Wandered in for lunch while exploring Bergamo, to find a charming interior with etritrean decor and handicrafts. We were greeted by the owner, who settled in Italy 40 years before. Unfamiliar with the menu, he guided us to a chicken and rice dish and a vegetarian couscous. Both excellent and ideal for lunch. After, he and his wife showed us some of the special items in the room and offered a Sardinian difestif ! Spotlessly clean restroom (unusual for Bergamo) too. A great experience and a fine meal.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We went there for dinner and asked for vegan options. The owner showed us in the menu what they have and let us decide if we want to try it without being pushy. The vegan food was delicious - a big pancake (which is their traditional bread made of millet, rice and 1 more kind of flour) and on top of it fresh green salad, cooked veggies, chickpeas with herbs and lentil stew. You eat with your hands, they explain. It costs 15 euro and you have 2 euro service per person.

The owners are friendly and speak English. They know what vegan means. It's a nice experience.:-)

4  Thank TravelBug3693
Reviewed 29 March 2016

I went there with my GF this long week-end (only non-Italian restaurant of the trip) and we both absolutely loved it, great people really, they proactively offered mixed-dishes even when they weren't listed, acted as real ambassadors of their culture/country as well. Of course the food was great, and very probably the best of the already few Ethiopian/Eritrean restaurants I visited in Germany/Netherlands. Oh, and be aware that the place is not as small as it looks in the pictures posted here, this is a restaurant, not a mere small take-away!

Reviewed 4 July 2015

I always read trip advisor reviews before I pick a place where to eat.
I had been looking at this one for some time and it was recommended to me by a lot of people.
I finally decided to go.
Well, the food is totally delicious and satisfaction is at highest levels.
Had 2 different vegetarian starters (Tamia and Tamot) and was tempted to ask for another portion of each of them!
I had the mixed vegetarian platter. Excellent taste excellent value for money.
Both the owner and his wife are very nice and friendly people.
Excellent food, relaxed atmosphere, very nice owners and very reasonable price for the high quality food you get.
I will go back again and I strongly recommend you try this place!
Finally some very good 'ethnic' food in Bergamo!!

Reviewed 3 January 2015

My friend and I really enjoyed our time and dinner here. The food is simple but tasty and the tea is delicious! Definitely worth to try it. The owner encouraged us to eat with our hands and indeed wrapping the food in their special bread really makes the difference. The service was quick and neat.
The two owners (an old couple) were extremely nice, and after we left a couple of euros as change, they were so kind to give us lots of delicious biscuits!
A great place to go for a taste of African food and warmth!