All reviews private beach pool restaurant beautiful hotel sea area sea view impeccable service small balcony old world charm included breakfast hotel room spectacular views old school lounge chairs cinque terre booked this hotel italian riviera marble
Reviewed 4 July 2016

Recently returned from a wonderful week at the Imperiale Palace. A hotel with character and presence.

The staff at whatever level were friendly, helpful and made you feel special. The room we had was quiet being at the back which is what we wanted. It was clean and in Italian style. Unlike other older larger hotels there was a good flow of hot water at all times. The bed was a bit firm and maybe the linen could have been nicer but overall a good experience.

Breakfast on the terrace was a great way to start the day. Enough choice and pleasant attentive waiter.

Ok so there was a walk of around 90 steps down and then back up from the pool and sun bathing platforms but it was worth it for the view and clean and good facilities. The pool attendants were very friendly and helpful.

A walk to the town takes under 15 minutes and does mean a walk uphill on way back but not exactly a hardship.

Overall a really enjoyable experience we would love to do again. Definitely a 5 star experience which will make future holidays difficult to match.

Can see why this hotels is 5 star.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wildtourist
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

The average reviews made me slightly nervous of this hotel, I love good service and luxury but I need not have worried, this hotel had both.
Having stayed at Splendido on a previous visit and returning again this time, I actually found the food and service at Imperiale equally as good but at a fraction of the price!
I kept my lunch reservation at Splendido but cancelled dinner, why bother going all that way...
The head waiter, in fact all the waiters were charming without being intrusive or over familiar. The head bar man was warm and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
The staff were honest and the maid even found my lost diamond earring and placed it on my bedside table which I was overjoyed about, having given up on finding it.
The rooms were a good standard, the view beautiful, even if the balcony was not very private, although a proper hair dryer rather than those pathetic bathroom breezes would be a bonus!
The authentic marble dining terrace and frescoes overlooking the sea were wonderful and really have a sense of occasion equal to any Belmond hotel I have stayed at. I would definitely stay again.
Just a little more evening entertainment please!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Janey_13_1965
Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

We had a fantastic 7 night stay in this hotel. It's a beautiful hotel, the staff were great, breakfast on the terrace was fab and the private beach at the sea was something else. We would definitely stay here again if we came back to Santa margherita!

Stayed: June 2016
1  Thank kieranod
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

I would say it is one of the most beautiful hotels around Portofino. The rooms are very clean, classic italian antique rosewood furniture neat and beautiful with marble bathrooms and beautiful views. You get a sense of history and feel in another time. The dining rooms and breakfast areas are beautiful and impressive. The private beach and the gardens must be enjoyed. You will want to wander and some spend time in the Imperiale palace.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Ceylan A
Reviewed 23 June 2016

We stayed here as a couple June 2016 and had a really nice, relaxing stay. The hotel is a grand old lady of a place with magnificent vaulted ceilings and a light, airy atmosphere. It has a beautiful garden which is steep but leads down to the private beach and swimming pool. Service is excellent all round and the breakfast which is included in the room rate, is very, very good. One slight complaint is that the bed was a bit hard and the wi-fi could do with some attention, but these were minor compared to how much we enjoyed the overall experience. If you are planning to visit Portofino, save yourself some £ and stay here. The ferry from Santa Margherita Ligure is just 10 Euros return to Portofino and goes every hour in the season. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I believe all sea-view rooms will have a very good view of the bay
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple