“Best Excursion Meal On Our Tour!”

Salumificio La Perla
Ranked #14 of 25 Food & Drink in Parma
Reviewed 31 July 2016

We took this extra excursion while on a tour with Globus Tours. The Lanfranchi family were gracious hosts. We learned how they process 60,000 Prosciutto hams a year! After the informative tour of their facility we enjoyed a wonderful meal which included large individual platters of hams, homemade Spinach Ravioli, Roasted Rosemary Pork Loin, Salad, Wine and dessert. Delizioso!!!

All reviews
"region"
"tour"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 15 June 2016

Our stop here was part of a Parma Food Tour arranged by our travel agent. The tour was very interesting, and very informative. Our tour concluded with a tasting of the ham along with some Parmigiana cheese and was very tasty. After we were done we spent a little time with our driver and the owners talking about the hams, and the differences between what we sampled and what we have here in the states. The only issue I had with the whole experience was when I wanted to buy some Parma Ham to take home. I asked at least 3 or 4 times to make sure what I bought would be able to come back with me through Customs in the US. I was repeatedly told it would be no problem, and I selected a smaller piece and purchased. When we came home, it was confiscated by Customs...raw hams are not allowed into the US. I am very certain they would know this at this establishment, and I feel like they took advantage of that just to make a sale to a tourist.

6  Thank Dale D
Reviewed 12 October 2015

I visited Salumificio La Perla as part of the Festival del Proscuitto di Parma. You drive down a single lane road out to La Perla. After donning thin white jackets and hair coverings, you are lead into the Salumificio. You are shown the hanging hind legs in various stages, an explanation of the process and how they test them to assure quality. It can only be Proscuitto di Parma if it comes from that region with strict borders and meets the highest standards.

After your tour, you have the option of a tasting menu or a delicious lunch. Lunch included aged cheese with good quality balsamic vinegar, proscuitto, bread, raviolli, dessert and wine.

If you have the opportunity, I would recommend you tour Salumificio La Perla.

2  Thank Travelersez
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Our driver Francesco took us to this plant and we where greeted warmly by the owner and his family, this business is family run and produce about 50,000 Italian hams a year not for export, which is really to bad. After the tour we had lunch which was outstanding, you really must try this tour, and the Italian Ham.

8  Thank m1006
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I am a professor of food studies and have taken my class to the Parma area four times to learn more about (and of course sample) the local specialties. "La Perla" is a family-run "salumificio" (prosciutto producer), and is a wonderful place for both a tour and lunch. The inimitable Carlo will take you through the process (nothing gross, no worries) and then he, his wife, and daughter will serve you a magnificent lunch (various options available). Don't miss the ravioli filled with fresh cheese and herbs, with butter and parmesan cheese. A delicious visit awaits!

9  Thank Zachary N