Open today: 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Not to be Missed!!!

If you are a foodie or just want more information about Balsamic Vinegar, this is a must do. A... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
mimiButler
Vicenza, Italy
Great tour

We booked our free tour via whatsapp just an hour or two before our arrival, and even though the... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

from US$30.20
from US$1,558.30
from US$40.70
More Info
All reviews great tour our tour guide aceto balsamico balsamic vinegar no pressure to buy free tour italian guide production process english speaking tour different varieties free of charge tour takes about an hour for sale tasting session great tasting better understanding quick tour
Reviewed 12 September 2018

My wife is obsessed with balsamic vinegar, so when we had a trip to Italy planned that involved driving up from Pisa to Malpensa for our departure, I thought it might be interesting to stop in Modena. Another TripAdvisor review mentioned the Giusti tour so we booked it.

(Incidentally, there is actually a train station ("Quattro Ville") a short distance from here. Therefore, you could actually visit Acetaia Giusti without a car, from anywhere in Italy where there is a train station! Only a 7 minute walk according to Google Maps.)

Everything about this was very interesting, it was worth the visit. The balsamic vinegar you purchase at an American market for $3 a bottle is a pale, pale imitation of a true balsamico, which can take up to 25 years to properly age. There are balsamic vinegars that are appropriate for some dishes but not others. You will learn about the entire process, including the method by which the quality is controlled for every sort of balsamic they produce. We also learned that many of the barrels they use are literally centuries old! I don't know if this happens on every tour, but we did get to meet the guy who ensures the quality of the production, sort of the facility sommelier.

The tour is free, there is a tasting at the end in the boutique where you will have the opportunity to purchase their vinegars with valuable assistance from the tour guide in selecting the right balsamico for your purpose.

However, I only gave four stars out of five for the following reasons:

1) we had booked that very day an appointment for the 4:30 tour. We had been in communication with the tour booker all day, including a couple hours before our arrival. So it was very clear that we were going to be there. We showed up 10 minutes early, and walked in to a small waiting room that seemed like the office of the tour booker. There was absolutely nobody around. We hung around for several minutes and finally I started wandering around trying to find someone. Finally I discovered the tour group upstairs, they had probably started at 4:15. We really did not appreciate this, especially since my wife injured her leg about 10 days earlier; she could still walk but at about 2/3 the speed of a normal person. I know people want to go home early if they can, but as I said it was pretty clear we were going to be there for the tour. So we missed out on the first several minutes of it, and we were constantly left behind as we tried to hurriedly look around and then catch up with wherever the others had gone. Once again, my wife couldn't hurry because of her leg. At one point we had no idea where everybody had gone, nobody bothered to tell us where to go as they moved on. We ended up trying random doors and nearly entering an area where we weren't supposed to be. So basically the first half of the tour was not so great for us. Frankly, this was rather inconsiderate.

2) If you can't handle heat and humidity well, this is NOT something to do during the summer months (approx. from whenever the heat sets in in June, to mid-late Sept). Basically if it's much more than 80F/27C outside, you may be rather uncomfortable for this approx. 1 hour long tour. The room with the very large casks was absolutely unbearable. The final stop in the boutique, we were constantly torn between a desire to complete the tasting and a desire to leave to escape the impossibly uncomfortable heat we had endured for the previous hour.

We live in a part of the US that is very well-known for summer heat, so this is not at all about us being wilting flowers. It was just impossibly hot and stifling on every part of the tour that was indoors (most of it). We left without buying anything at all because we could not bear to wait any longer to get rung up, there was only one person running the tour and probably to do the transactions as well. I have spent a considerable amount of time in my life in Italy and I am well familiar with the near-total absence of fans (forget about air conditioning!) in the country. This tour was one of the most uncomfortable experiences I've ever had in my many years dealing with the Italian fear of drafts. I understand that fans and air conditioning are very likely not compatible with the areas where the vinegar is produced, but I would kindly advise the management to at least put a fan in the boutique, I am confident that they would quickly pay for its cost with the increased sales from those who are not motivated to flee the suffocating caldoumido like we were!

3  Thank firenze_italia
Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

Our group toured this production facility. Our guide gave a great tour in English. We learned some history about vinegar, and about the production process. Afterwards there was a tasting of many different products.

Beware, the storage rooms were very hot on a September afternoon. However you do not spend much time in these rooms.

I would recommend this tour.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

The visit was well worth the long winding roads...The tour was excellant, and the guide spoke very good english. Everything was explained, I never knew how Balsamic vinegar was made, and was amazed at the time it took for producing , the tasting session after was a great finale, so many tastes!!!

1  Thank LightPacker741023
Reviewed 5 September 2018

We visited Modena at the end of August following a great tour of the Ferrari museum which is only 10 mins drive from the Balsamic tour.

The location is great, easy to find with plenty of parking in their own car park or on the street directly outside. I had communicated with the company on a number of occasions leading up to the tour always with a very fast (and great English) reply, they are very accommodating and helpful.

The tour it's self was worth of a paid for tour so being free was exceptional! I can honestly say I would still have given the tour a 5* rating if I had paid 10 euro each.

Really informative and interesting insight into a real slice of Italian history, there is a lot more to production than I had ever considered and the very knowledgeable guide explained things exceptionally well in a great easily digestible way.

The products for sale at the end of the tour are well packaged and easily to pick from having had a tasking inside the shop so you could easily relate what you were tasting to the end product on the shelf.

A great and worthwhile 2 hours of our holiday,

1  Thank Steve P
Reviewed 19 August 2018

We went to Modena to specifically try balsamic! This tour is free and offered in English and Italian. The guide was extremely friendly and enthusiastic about her job. You get to hear about how it is produced and at the end of it you get to try the products that they make! Definitely worth a visit!

1  Thank WilliamH2272