“"Costruire Il Novecento" - A highlight of our weekend”
Review of Palazzo Fava

Palazzo Fava
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I'm relatively new to the world of early/mid 20th-century Italian art, but I love it, and therefore I was interested to see Costruire Il Novecento.

What a wonderful exhibit! Beyond simply enjoying the paintings aesthetically, I was particularly happy to discover the work of Osvaldo Licini and to learn more about Giorgio Morandi and Carlo Carrà.

In fact, one element I loved about this show was how much I learned via the (free) informative audio guide. Guests may listen to individual recordings for most paintings, and additional informational tracks are available for those wanting more background information about the artist. [As an aside, I will say I used the Italian language guide, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't available in English as well.] Each room also features dual Italian/English placards describing the artwork, artists and brief historical context.

I was so happy with the exhibit, that I promptly bought the show catalogue at the gift shop. (Which, by the way, has a number of nice little "gifts" for the folks back home.)

If you're looking for a pleasant way to spend an hour or so in Bologna, I highly recommend Costruire Il Novecento.

P.S. Look up from time-to-time...some of the ceilings of Palazzo Fava are beautiful! :-)

1  Thank Meghan J
in 6 reviews
"palazzo"
"information"

Reviewed 27 September 2016

It currently has the Vermeer exhibition which was a must for me and I was not disappointed. Absolutely beautiful.

Reviewed 22 August 2016

We visited there the Edward Hopper exhibition. It gave us a complete overview of Hopper’s production. The Nighthawks was missing.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

I visited on the last day of the Edward Hopper exhibition facilitated by the Whitney Museum of American Art in Manhattan, and the 60 minute wait in the queue was absolutely worth it. The contrast between the superb Renaissance frescoes and ceiling above and Hopper's distinctive perspective and colours below were just stunning! I did not have time to visit the Medieval museum in the other wing but left a very happy man nonetheless. What a priceless space for art exhibitions ...

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 July 2016

We went to see the Edward Hopper exhibition which was excellent. We stayed for longer than expected, the audio guide was really informative and brought the paintings to life. However the building itself has amazing architecture and it's worth looking past the art on display to see the rooms themselves.
A good shop back on the ground floor, but only 1 ladies toilet which meant queues.