“Excellent for fish and seafood”

Trattoria Pane e Panelle
Ranked #382 of 2,068 Restaurants in Bologna
Price range: US$10 - US$37
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santo Stefano
Description: Un laboratorio di cucina siciliana, di pesce, verdure e dolci, con la possibilità di mangiare in un meraviglioso giardino nel cuore di Bologna
Reviewed 17 May 2018

We stumbled upon this restaurant by chance and very pleased to have done so. We couldnt see any meat on the menu - just fish or vegetarian dishes.Two starters (tumbet and sardines), two main courses (grilled veg with cheese and pasta with asparagus and anchovies) and a bottle of wine cost around 65 euro. It was lovely to be able to sit in the courtyard without being smoked on. The waitress is studying to be an architect and travels to Florence regularly several times a week to attend University. She was very helpful with an all Italian menu. Enjoyed our visits - Recommended.

1  Thank outdoorliving

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

You need to eat here. The menu is innovative and amazing. The range from antipasti to desserts is amazing. The service is better than any we’ve had in Italy. Just a five star place. No doubt, you must eat here if you are in Bologna. Wine and beer selection is fantastic AND reasonable to add to the greatness of this restaurant! Loved it!!!!!

Reviewed 3 February 2017

Met the chef Oliver accidently and he invited us to try his place. We were treated exceptionally, and introduced to a few of Oliver's dishes. When we were quite full, he brought out a sample of his Pistaccio salted ice cream. I don't remember anything more delicious ever passing my lips This place is definitely on my itinerary next time I'm in Bologna, which by the way is a foodies paradise.

Reviewed 2 June 2016

A friendly, informal trattoria in the historical center of Bologna with a nice courtyard during summer months where, unlike most of the other restaurants there, the emphasis is upon fish and vegetarian options—particularly potatoes and eggplant. The fish options tend towards amberjack, mackerel, sardines and anchovies, but there were tuna and John Dory (St. Pierre) options on the menu when I dined there. The preparations are simple, predominantly fried, and to my mind the sardines were the star, here, and the Bucatino dish made with them was wonderful! There was also a stuffed cuttlefish with beans dish I quite liked. The wine list is overwhelmingly tilted towards whites, which I found a bit disappointing, as appropriate as it might be for a traditional meal with fish, because I am decidedly not a traditionalist on that point. Had I not dined with a rather large group eating family style, which is possible, here, though I would not recommend it, I would have had the opportunity to venture more toward some of the margins of the menu. As it is, for dinner with a smaller group, or a simple lunch alone, if you’re in the mood for fish, potatoes and some good white wine, this place might just hit the mark better than any restaurant I’ve encountered in Bologna--and, if you've got room, try the cannoli!

Reviewed 27 May 2016

I remember the place very fondly partly because it's very hot in the summer without AC but the Sicilian fish dishes were so pleasant and incredible. I was there many times with a large group of people and the service was great.