“We were there to eat!”

Ranked #113 of 346 things to do in Bologna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

We knew it was a cooking school but we also knew that it served food even on Saturday evening. We tried another restaurant in the neighbourhood at first but it was full, and one of us came up with the idea of going there. We were actually very pleased - the tagliatelle I had was good, a friend had tortellini in brodo which he said was really good. The fruits (for desert) were free, the beer for purchase was artisan. We arrived there around 7:30/8:00, got quiet around 9:30 and we thought if they were packing up but no! Customers started to arrive and it was lively by the time we left around 10:30. Had a pleasant evening. We like casual dining experience at a canteen like atmosphere, chatted lots of things, like we used to in student days.

Reviewed 29 March 2016

We were visiting Bologna for the long weekend & I enquired about the pasta classes available. Our hotel (Star Excelsior) recommended & booked this for us.

My daughter & I signed up for the 3 hour session- we wanted to have a bit of fun while trying to learn something new. We do not speak Italian & were assigned one of the more accomplished students (who spoke a bit of English) to teach us. Alessandro kept a close eye & we thought he was hilarious & extremely animated.

We were very satisfied with the experience & it gave us many fond, happy memories.
At the end of the 3 hours, we were served lunch & wine (2 courses were our pasta, the third was a dessert).

Would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 19 October 2015

We had lunch there last week after having enquired the day before about the activities of the school. Maybe if we had followed cooking classes, we would have liked it, however, the food we were served was pretty awful ! The wine was undrinkable and to charge 2,5 Euros/person cover charge is totally inadmissible for a cookery school. The next day we had a great lunch at the Pizzeria Il Portico - much, much better and cheaper than the scuola. A place to be avoided

Reviewed 23 June 2015 via mobile

On a whim, and because it was just down the street from where we were staying, I signed myself and my two kids up for a pasta making class. I've studied different kinds of cooking in various places, but this was a really lovely experience. It's very much a hands-on class, which is necessary for something like pasta where you gauge much of the proceedings by feel and where it takes some practice to get things right.

We made and cut the dough for tagliatelle, tortellini, tortellone, farfalle, and some other things. While waiting for our pasta to rest before cutting it, we helped more advanced students make filings and fill tortellini. Our instructor, Alessandro, was hilarious, and he really helped show us the reasons behind how you roll out the dough, how dry and thin it needs to be for the different types of pasta, etc. He was very engaging with my kids too, who now want to make pasta at home.

Afterward we got to have a delightful lunch of tortellini in brodo, tagliatelle al ragù, and tortellone. Everyone at the school was helpful and sweet, and many of them are of the same family. I believe the lessons would work whether or not you speak Italian, but it helped that I speak some Italian, as there were some translations I could help with.

Regardless of whether you end up putting your newfound skills to use, it gives one a much deeper appreciation of the effort and tradition behind one of the best cuisines in the world -- Bolognese cooking!

3  Thank Mary B