“amazing experience”

Bologna Cooking School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A real Bolognese home cooking school in Bologna from "native Bolognesi." The better way for being able to appreciate the "Cucina Bolognese."
Reviewed 15 August 2016

We had an amazing experience with Carlo, Anna, and Gabriella. Carlo showed us from the begininng how to make pasta, the classic bolognese sauce, tortellini, and since we had some extra time, tiramisu. It was done with patience, without hurry, and with attention to detail. It was almost like being with family. Being raised in an Italian family, it brought back memories of being with big family dinners on Sunday. We sat down, to enjoy our dinner, ( with an elegant table setting, prosecco, and wine) as if we have known Carlo, Anna, and Gabriella...we hated to leave. Not only did we have a great learning experience, it was cultural immersion. They are so delightful, warm and hospitable. I would do it again, possibly the market tour next time....and yes...I WILL be in Bologna again.

1  Thank rmar61
in 17 reviews
"techniques"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 5 August 2016

I spent 2 half days with Carlo, going to the market the first day, then making pasta using a Kitchenaid attachment to roll out the dough. With the help of his sister, Gabriella, I made a Calamari dish that was fantastic. Also made a macaroni type pasta for the pasta I'd made and gnocchi. Lots of learning done in those 4 hours. The second day, I made pasta and learned how to roll it out. The class focused on make Bolognese sauce and making spinach stuffed Tortelloni. I loved working in Carlo's home versa and commercial kitchen. I've made pasta several times after returning home and it gets better each time. If you can, go to the Market with Carlo, It so much fun and he tells you things about the area and shops that only a local would know.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

I did the half day cooking class without the market tour and I'm very glad I did. It was a lot of fun making the food and learning about the history of the recipes. The lunch afterwards was great, with excellent quality food and wines and our own pasta and ragù.

2  Thank gbyrne92
Reviewed 12 July 2016

I like to cook and this seemed like a perfect way to spend time in Bologna. The class was extremely informative, Carlo and Luciana were excellent teachers. They were patient and answered many questions. They had lots of tips and suggestions for when I got home. Best part is that I know if I still have questions, they are just an e-mail away! Anyone going to Bologna should take this class!!

2  Thank Marian M
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 July 2016

We met Carlo on the corner of the Via Pescherie Vecchie, he took us around the local markets and shops where we were able to try a lot of the produce and meet the shop owners, which was a fantastic experience - the mortadella was delicious. While walking around Bologna buying ingredients for the lesson, Carlo filled us in on some of the history of the city, which was an added bonus of the experience. After this he took us back to his home where the lesson would take place. Luciana taught us how to make the pasta for the tagliatelle and torteloni - introducing us to the pasta song - she was very patient and explained everything well, she showed us how to use the off cuts of the pasta to make farfalle. Carlo taught us how to make a traditional Bolognese ragu, we will be trying to recreate this at home in the very near future, it was beautiful. Once we had finished cooking we had lunch with Carlo, Luciana and Gabriella where we enjoyed the pasta we had made as well as mortadella and melon to start and tiramisu and some local wine. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend booking a class to anyone who enjoys cooking. Carlo and Luciana made us feel very welcome and it was a great way to spend a day!