“Amazing experience with Carlo”

Bologna Cooking School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A real Bolognese home cooking school in Bologna from "native Bolognesi." The better way for being able to appreciate the "Cucina Bolognese."
Reviewed 5 August 2016

I spent 2 half days with Carlo, going to the market the first day, then making pasta using a Kitchenaid attachment to roll out the dough. With the help of his sister, Gabriella, I made a Calamari dish that was fantastic. Also made a macaroni type pasta for the pasta I'd made and gnocchi. Lots of learning done in those 4 hours. The second day, I made pasta and learned how to roll it out. The class focused on make Bolognese sauce and making spinach stuffed Tortelloni. I loved working in Carlo's home versa and commercial kitchen. I've made pasta several times after returning home and it gets better each time. If you can, go to the Market with Carlo, It so much fun and he tells you things about the area and shops that only a local would know.

All reviews
in 46 reviews
"wine"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 13 July 2016

I did the half day cooking class without the market tour and I'm very glad I did. It was a lot of fun making the food and learning about the history of the recipes. The lunch afterwards was great, with excellent quality food and wines and our own pasta and ragù.

2  Thank Gareth B
Reviewed 12 July 2016

I like to cook and this seemed like a perfect way to spend time in Bologna. The class was extremely informative, Carlo and Luciana were excellent teachers. They were patient and answered many questions. They had lots of tips and suggestions for when I got home. Best part is that I know if I still have questions, they are just an e-mail away! Anyone going to Bologna should take this class!!

2  Thank Marian M
Reviewed 3 July 2016

We met Carlo on the corner of the Via Pescherie Vecchie, he took us around the local markets and shops where we were able to try a lot of the produce and meet the shop owners, which was a fantastic experience - the mortadella was delicious. While walking around Bologna buying ingredients for the lesson, Carlo filled us in on some of the history of the city, which was an added bonus of the experience. After this he took us back to his home where the lesson would take place. Luciana taught us how to make the pasta for the tagliatelle and torteloni - introducing us to the pasta song - she was very patient and explained everything well, she showed us how to use the off cuts of the pasta to make farfalle. Carlo taught us how to make a traditional Bolognese ragu, we will be trying to recreate this at home in the very near future, it was beautiful. Once we had finished cooking we had lunch with Carlo, Luciana and Gabriella where we enjoyed the pasta we had made as well as mortadella and melon to start and tiramisu and some local wine. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend booking a class to anyone who enjoys cooking. Carlo and Luciana made us feel very welcome and it was a great way to spend a day!

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 May 2016

I booked the half-day Triumph class for my 12-year-old son and myself and it was one of the best experiences of our stay in Italy, worth every penny. Although we arrived late due to a wrong turn I took on the highway, Carlo was patiently waiting for us and didn't cut short our time (about 5 1/2 hours total). We visited several charming shops in the market to get the ingredients for the day's class, and felt like locals, meeting the shopkeepers whom Carlo has known for years.

The cooking instruction by Carlo, Adriana and Gabriella, was a perfect combination of showing and doing. Adriana taught us how to make the sfloglia, tagliatelle, tortellini and tortellini, maybe our favorite part of the class. Although we don't speak Italian, she was great at teaching us the techniques and and encouraging us. The lunch was delicious, including the food we didn't make ourselves--amazing Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, prosciutto and melon and more. (Later, Carlo even tried to help me with my parking ticket--I parked on the residents' side of the street.) It was an unforgettable, hands-on experience that both my son and I thoroughly enjoyed. I highly recommend this to everyone who wants a personal, authentic Italian experience.

1  Thank allijean2015