“Favorite place in Rome.”

Osteria Quarantaquattro
Ranked #671 of 13,336 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Incredible dinner. We sat outside, our waiter was superb and helpful throughout. The owner of the restaurant introduced himself to us which was a cool touch. All of the food was great, but in particular, the carbonara and tiramisu was our favorite.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Osteria 44 was recommended by our hotel concierge. It is very Italian. The decor is minimalist, but nice, and not too loud, so very comfortable. The maitre d', Sergio, was very nice and speaks perfect English. There were three of us. We started with the shaved artichoke salad with parmesan and olive oil. It was very different since we had never had raw artichoke before, but we liked it. (Note, I don't remember the exact price, but it is a bit expensive for a salad.) For entress, we had rack of lamb, osso buco in a very light white wine sauce, and a line caught local white fish that reminded me of branzino. The fish was crispy and on a bed of spinach. We all liked our dinners but If I had to rate the dinners, I would say the fish was the best and the osso buco was so-so since I prefer a heavier sauce. For dessert, we ordered a creme brulee and a tiramisu. The tiramisu was intensely coffee-flavored and delicious. With dinner, we had a local pinot noir that was 28 euros. The total for our dinner was 162 euros.

A few days later, we were exhausted and needed a relaxing meal, so we returned to Osteria 44. This time, we had a papardelle with guanciale, carciofi (artichokes) and funghi; a pasta special "Grecia" which had guanciale, black pepper and pecorino; and a bacala in a light tomato broth. Again, I would say the fish was the best of the three dinners. For dessert, we had a creme brulee and a lava cake. The total for our dinner was 106.00 euros.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There is dining. And then there is fine dining. Osteria 44 clearly provides the latter. Though the decor is minimalist, the welcome is warm, starting with a complimentary glass of prosecco. If Sergio, the owner, is there, just let him guide your choices as the menu is all in Italian. HIs English is impeccable, and we had interesting discussion with him on a variety of topics since we are early diners and the restaurant was not yet busy. We ordered two appetizers, an artichoke salad and an eggplant parmesan. Both were delicious; we traded plates to savor both. I ordered the duck for the main dish. We don't see it on menus very often, and this was the whole breast, marinated and cooked to medium rare perfection. My husband had the flashed tuna, just the way we like it. Of course, there was bread as in any Italian restaurant, and there were vegetables on both plates. We asked Sergio to select glasses of wine that would compliment both and were very pleased with his choice. For dessert we shared a deconstructed tiramisu that was just right. And, of course, we had espressos. The total for this was 116 Euros which some might find too high, but you get what you pay for. This food was a notch above every other place we ate in our three weeks in Florence, Venice and Rome. Worth every penny! P.S. This restaurant is open from 7AM until midnight.

Reviewed 14 April 2018

Our concierge recommended Osteria 44 because I typically don’t make reservations our first night.

This turned out to be a really nice meal with very friendly service. We gave the waiter a few parameters, and he then suggested a very nice complete menu for us and the chef created a couple of dishes not exactly on the menu. We started out with a very nice spicy grilled octopus in tomato sauce and salad. The pasta was well prepared and flavorful. For our main course, we had lamb and beef tenderloin, both expertly prepared.

I believe many who posted reviews spoke to the owner. We did not have that opportunity, but we were in very good hands with our server. He was extremely professional and had a sophisticated humor to him.

I would easily recommend to anyone interested in a solid, expertly prepared meal. If our hotel is nearby on our next trip, I would easily return.

Plus, the nice thing to remember about Osteria 44 is that they do not close for the afternoon, so it is a very nice option if you want an early dinner, like we did since we were struggling with jet lag.

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

Unbelievable service from the time we walked in until we were drinking our complimentary after dinner drinks. We were 2 couples with 6 kids. The staff, including the owner were great. We had pasta with truffles(fantastic,) lamb chops and filet mignon. There is only great things to say about this restaurant. I will definitely be returning on my next visit.