All reviews air con busy crossroads train station pool area night manager the main square good size tourist tax star hotel nice pool three star central location short break cleaned every day boiled eggs orange and lemon trees rooms were very clean
Reviewed 24 August 2018

I have just come back from a week long holiday with my two teenage children in Sorrento.
We stayed in Hotel Tourist. I picked Hotel Tourist because of it's excellent location and because it has a pool. I was not disappointed and I was happy with my stay. The breakfast had good variety although all the cakes on offer will not be to the liking perhaps to the English and Irish guests. They did have cooked options and cereal also. The two waiters were very attentive but could have smiled more, they were very serious. The lifeguard/poolside bar man Claudio was very helpful and special mention must go to hardworking and always smiling waitress Sarah who worked very hard and was delightful. The pool was perfect and kept very clean. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter as the front is a busy ,noisy road.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Siobhan S
Gianpaolo F, Direttore at Hotel Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Thank you so much for your stay with us I hope see you again in the future.
many thanks from all our staff also from the waiters who hope to welcome you next fly with more smiles.
Best Reagrds
Gianpaolo

Reviewed 19 August 2018

It was better once we got into a room that the A/C worked, 'cause after the hot days touring the various areas of the region, we were ready for a cocktail (served by the pool), a bite to eat (served by the pool) and a dip 'in the pool' while sitting under various fruit trees just a block or two from the rail and a walk to the coastline; then we wanted to go into a cool room and get ready for more touring through the Sorrento evening.

Hotel Tourist also had the best, by far, daily hot breakfast buffet we had encountered during all of our three week tour of four regions in southern Italy.

A decent stay for the price and the staff was pretty cool as we began to learn their names by the time we departed; but the pool server, whatever his name was (LOL), had our drinks memorized and was quick to keep everything in order, except keeping the pool open past 6:30 pm (I think it was).

Read my other reviews.

Dicks

Room Tip: Make sure your A/C unit works
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CritDicks x
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

This hotel has no idea what customer service means. From the second I walked through the door I was made to feel like an inconvenience and was basically invisible to all of the staff members unless I instigated an interaction. The facilities and decor are worn and outdated. It was not very clean, in fact the first time I had a shower I left with a very long hair stuck to me, my hair is extremely short so it certainly wasn't mine.
The pool looks big in the photos but it is definitely not and you need to walk through past the front desk to get to the pool from your room - which is certainly a great sight for newly arriving guests.
The place is echoey and you can hear everything that goes on in the surrounding rooms.
The only redeeming quality this hotel has is the location.
My biggest beef with this hotel was on the last night of my stay. I went for dinner with a friend and I brought him back to the hotel to actually give him some clothing that I had bought online that didn't fit me. As I walked through the door the receptionist asked my my room number. When I got upstairs the phone rang, it was reception. He advised me that I wasn't allowed to have a second person in my room because I had only booked a single guest. I asked him if I could please sort it out with him after my guest had left and he refused. He said that he needed ID from my guest and to pay an additional fee. I advised him that my guest was not staying. I actually was interested in this guy but I didn't want to make any assumptions that it was going to be anything more than gifting of the clothes. I was so embarrassed to be having this conversation in front of my guest. The conversation did not progress, I advised him that I will come and see him after my guest has left and ended the phone call. The phone was ringing again and I did not answer as my guest was trying on the clothes he was going to take. So the receptionist came up to the room and knocked on the door. He said that I cannot have another person in my room unless I pay a fee and he takes a copy of his ID. I told him to just charge me on checkout and leave us alone, however he would not leave. I told him that I just wanted to be able to what I wanted to in the room I had paid for and that he was being a complete embarrassment to me, the hotel and himself.
My guest actually offered his ID (which is ridiculous) and then he was still chasing the fee of 25€ which I confirmed again that I would pay on checkout and he finally left.
I settled the room fee in the morning as I checked out (merely five hours after I had arrived back at the hotel). I advised him that the way he handled the situation was inappropriate and he tried starting an argument with me again. I advised him that I am not interested in anything more he has to say and left.
If a customer walked out of a place that I was working in the way that I had, I would try and do everything I could to try and console that customer and get on the same page with them, not argue with them.
Can I just say that I have been travelling for a month by myself and had multiple people visit my room with no problems or even questions asked let alone additional fees and identification required.
I understand the hotel has a policy but the way in which this was enforced was completely embarrassing and inappropriate.
The way I was spoken to and was treated was like a piece of garbage, certainly not like a customer or a paying guest. He could have easily sorted this situation out with me after my guest had left, however he made a choice to do it in the most abrupt and inappropriate way possible and then immaturely kept trying to argue his point until the last second, rather than actually listening to what I had to say.
I would not stay here again even if it was the last hotel available in Sorrento.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Adrian B
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

Hotel Tourist is in a great location. It is close to the train station & main square. It was great to have a pool in Sorrento. There were plenty of sunbeds and the pool was cleaned everyday. We stayed in a double room which had a balcony but other than that, the room was basic in it's facilities. The room was cleaned and towels were changed everyday, which was a huge plus for us. The air con was very poor and after a sleepless night we requested an extra fan. The breakfast was included and while there was a wide variety of cakes and bread items, there was a need for more fresh fruit, different yoghurts and hot food. All of the staff were very friendly & helpful. Overall, Hotel Tourist is a good hotel & we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Sorrento.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

This hotel gave us everything we needed from our 3 day short stop in Sorrento.

Pros
- excellent service and friendliness from the majority of the staff
- breakfast was superb (didn’t have the dinner so cannot comment)
- very close to the centre of sorrento but also the train station for day trips to Pompeii etc
- air conditioning is great

Cons

- the WiFi is pretty weak and I ended up using only my data for the 3 days

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Gianpaolo F, Direttore at Hotel Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2018

Thank you so so so much for having stayed in the hotel. Our daily commitment is rewarded by a nice review like yours. I really hope to have you again among our guests.
Gianpaolo